What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone Used Pinsound in The Shadow?

Garry Sp8

Site Supporter
Thought I would give this a try but I can't get any of the community mixes to work. The audio files need to be .wav and the mixes are all .ogg. Pinsound site shows how to convert to .wav which I have done but still can't get them to work.
Anybody have similar problem?
I have game software LX4. There is a later version but don't know if this makes a difference?
Thanks
Garry

I thought it converted them on the fly, I'm sure it did with my Terminator 2.

Update your firmware and try again?

Yes - updated the firmware and now it works.
You're right - it converts the files when you switch on.
I'll see what it's like with the different versions.
It's great that you can adjust backbox/cabinet outputs separately and also bass levels. :thumbs:

I must admit to being terribly excited by pinsound cards a while back and I bought a few.

However the available mixes are either poor, very poor or now and again very, very good - they really need work from someone who knows what they are doing and have plenty of time. Licensing issues have caused much of the problems regarding distribution.

In my experience I was very impressed by GNR and IJ but disappointed in most of the others inc TAF, STNG and others.

The IJ is the best one.

Pinsound hardware is great and can make the standard soundtrack sound better and has a lot more configurable outputs.

I’d say for a 1995 or later machine, the sound will be likely as good as you can expect, unless the manufacturer tried to pile too many samples in the audio ROM (a la LOTR so it has a low sample rate).

Modern machines are usually DVD quality stereo audio :)

I thought it was fantastic in my sttng!

I tried all 4 mixes and I really wanted to like it but ended up using the original DCS sounds via Pinsound. Same with TAF.

It's only through abject laziness & procrastination that has prevented me putting the DCS board back in. I did run it with one of the mixes for quite a while - and the samples are much clearer but ultimately it misses various call outs and doesn't hang together nearly as well.

The hardware is great, no mistake. I am wound up by the samples overlapping, especially the "thank you mr data" on STNG not playing properly at the end of a ball.

It took me a while to get LOTR mix working on a pinsound and whilst different, it just doesn't compare to the original. The Indiana Jones Pinball adventure one (which has by and large been removed from circulation for licensing reasons) is really bloody good because it's been done by a sound engineer :)

I admit I'm pretty anal about this stuff, but I've been involved with video game development for 30yrs and it's subject to a keen eye (and ear!).

Back
Top Bottom