What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone own or owned a Getaway? If so can u answer this please?

Jon Fletcher

Registered
If anybody owns or has owned a Getaway, can you answer this query? Ive just read in the Williams operations manual for this machine that when the 4th gear Supercharger feature is awarded it is a 2 ball mulitiball feature. On my machine only the ball in play is used and no 2nd ball is ejected. Any info appreciated as Im really curious to know. Thanks.

Never played a getaway where the supercharger mode is a multiball.

It would seams rather silly as the mode is timed and you get a 3 ball at redline mania anyways.

On page V Of the Williams operations manual titled "Going through the gears" it says 4th Gear awards Supercharger mode (2 ball multi-ball) I think this must be a printing error

On page V Of the Williams operations manual titled "Going through the gears" it says 4th Gear awards Supercharger mode (2 ball multi-ball) I think this must be a printing error

Maybe it was originally going to be. I love Supercharger mode when it goes well, a little bump as the ball rolls across the left flipper to get it across to the right then hit it straight back into the Supercharger with the right, rinse and repeat. Think I've scored about 120m doing just that a few times although usually it goes horribly wrong. Would love to see a good player doing that.

Ha! I've been trying that exact same technique! Only managed about 65m though. Attached photo of original operations manual with details of supercharger mode

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 6
The manual for Getaway contains at least one other error. In the section about the test routines, there's a statement about the 'loop time' of the supercharger, which is shown during supercharger testing. It says that a time of more than '20' indicates a fault; even with all three magnets firing properly, the time doesn't get as low as that. I remember being asked about it by 'phone when the game was new - a friend of my boss had bought one and was referring to this in the manual. I reckon that it should be '120'.

Fair play, though, at least he hadn't just put it straight on site without any checks beforehand.

Most manuals of the era are full of mistakes so don't take it to heart.
It probably would have been an idea that never made it into the final game but was not removed from the manual.
Per the norm for all the pinball companies of the time.

Back
Top Bottom