What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone Near Newark/ Lincoln/ Sheffield/ Nottingham ?

DRD

Registered
I have had my Addams Family for 15 years but a house move has given me room for three more games which I have added in the last 6 months.

I have recently been to my first two pinball league events and I just do not know the rules to the vast majority of the games, which is proving a handicap on the mid 80s games onwards.

Is there anyone local to me with a couple of machines who might fancy a few games ? Naturally you are welcome to come round here to try my games out too. I would also appreciate a second opinion on my Vector to see whether it is playing properly before intake it up to NERG

Last edited:
Aaaah, the holy grail - actually having the room to have more than one Pin ;-)

I'm up in Grimsby but unfortunately right now I only have 1 Pin and that's in bits (it's a Data East Rocky & Bullwinkle).

I'm doing a full restore on it including a full cabinet strip and rebuild so it's not likely to be back up and running until after the summer at the earliest. More Pins are in the offing hopefully but probably not until we move to a larger house with more space. Thankfully having the first Pin has made it a priority with the wife to have a dedicated gaming room. Once that's in place i'll hopefully expand the collection a little.

I'm just up in the road in North Hykeham, welcome to practise on my games. Currently working I have BSD, IM, WCS, TZ, FT.

Thank you for the kind offer. Will drop you a pm.

There are a decent number of PAPA tutorial videos available on youtube that can help you with rulesets on a wide range of different tables. Some are very lengthy (especially the newer Sterns)

I will probably get poo pooed for suggesting this ;).., but I found the pinball arcade good for learning rulesets, and where the ball is gonna pop out from.

Not so good for actually learning how to play real pinball. I am complete ****e :oops:

Naa you're right Chris, it is a very useful tool for learning rulesets although not necessarily for learning how to actually play the real tables.

I will probably get poo pooed for suggesting this ;).., but I found the pinball arcade good for learning rulesets, and where the ball is gonna pop out from.

Not so good for actually learning how to play real pinball. I am complete ****e :oops:
Consider yourself poo pooed.

I have never played pinball on pc before.

What are the best programs please for PC and ipad ?

Thanks

as @ShootAgainChris said, Pinball Arcade is great. Real machines, you can try Tales of the Arabian Nights for free to see if you think it is worth it. After that point each table costs I think about £2.50 or so to buy or you can buy a pack which come in 'seasons' for roughly £20 and contains between 10-20 tables. This is available on all platforms but the available games to play vary from platform to platform, PC and iPad tend to get new releases first so you're in luck there. Once you have chosen a platform though STICK WITH IT! You cannot transfer purchases from, for example PC to iPad.

There is also Visual Pinball which I have never really had much luck with as I found it difficult to get up and running (although I'm sure others here will disagree). This is a totally free platform that probably has every game ever made available to play but I am not too sure on the specifics. I have only ever seen YouTube videos of Visual Pinball tables and sometimes these are very well done, other times not as these are all created by fans. This is only available on PC.

There is also stuff like Zen Pinball but this is fantasy games so it is unlikely this will help much.

Visual Pinball is great if you want to build a virtual pinball machine because it can link up with PinMAME and run the original roms. You can then take the PinMAME display and move it onto a second screen.

For full authenticity you can even add a third screen to display the backglass; both static or animated backglasses are available so you even simulate things like the spider mode in Scared Stiff. But when all said and done graphically it still looks a bit 'flat' and nowhere near as shiny and polished as Pinball Arcade.

@Wiredworm - have you managed to get this up and running? Just can't seem to get my head round the software, table, DMD setup. Any help greatly appreciated? Building a vr table at the mo.

I've not got it running right now but have done in the past. I'd be only too happy to give it another go and then give some pointers on configuration.

A friend of mine in Denmark is actually building a mini virtual pinball right now in order to prove the technology. He also owns a real T2 pinball so no clue if he plans to also make a full size virtual pin or not.

He's just managed to get some Siemens contactors installed so the game simulates the effect of the pop bumper. Here's a video of it in action.

Maybe I should put together a guide on setting up Visual Pinball with all the bells and whistles? Of course it's nowhere near as nice as real pinball but it's a nice way to have a lot of tables in one place so very handy if you have limited space or just want to learn to play specific tables.

Oh, and also just to mention that the other option for PC pinball is 'Future Pinball' which is available as a free download here: http://www.futurepinball.com/

You can also download a lot of recreated tables for Future Pinball here: http://www.pinsimdb.org/

My experience is that the tables look nicer in Future Pinball as it's a true 3D engine, but the downside is that it doesn't run the original roms and instead everything has to be built from the ground up. Even the DMD animations have to be coded so getting a 100% recreation of the original table is truly a massive undertaking (and i'm talking from experience here).

Well worth a look but generally I think for a virtual pin setup most people tend to go with Visual Pinball.

But do you set everything up in pinmame, future, visual and any others and then run a front end like hyperpin or pinballx?

Setup order is like this:

1. Install Visual Pinball + PinMame (can't have one without the other)
2. Install Future Pinball (if you want)
3. Install HyperPin as the front end and configure to use the emulators you've decided to go with
4. Add any extra bits you want - Media Packs for HyperPin, Back Glasses and so on
5. Install UltraVPServer if you want the animated backglasses (this bit requires you to make modifications to the Visual Pinball scripts to work)

Back
Top Bottom