What's new

Goodwinsplace

Site Supporter
Alias
Goodwin
I'm looking to start a slow burn home brew project. Probably looking at a year build rather than throwing time and money at it.

My current phase is to consume as much info as I can so welcome any links or suggestions.

I'm watching through projects on YouTube and reading as much as I can on Pinball Makers.

My current thinking is I'll be using Mission Pinball framework, possibly designing my game as a virtual setup first to get an idea in the setup I want before buying lots of mechs that I might not need.

I'm going to be looking at getting my own PCBs printed off using Open Pinball Project as my control hardware.

I think I'll be basing the playfield and cabinet on a wpc.

Any help, tips or links welcomed. Thanks.

Hello -
I am about to start a retheme.
Going to grab a Cobrapin board set. If you want me to pick up 2 sets to save postage and duty let me know.
It is OPP and looks to be the best thing I have come across.

I am using one of the main baords, along with the xpansion board

Agree with mission.

Going to use a Bally Game Show and rewrite software and re print the playfield.

I'm on with my own:

I decided to do it without using anybody else's hardware or software - i.e. almost from scratch. So using an ESP32s as the main processor, and off the shelf boards and parts:
WS2812B Addressable LED lighting
4 way mosfet power boards (for the solenoids)
Max7219 8 X 32 dot matrix displays for the score display
SD card sound card and amp
off the shelf DC Psu's

Total hardware spend on the electonics £86 !!!

I have used a fully populated playfield as the starting point

Software I have written from scratch - happy to share it. it's pretty easy stuff.

Thanks both for the replies. Sounds like you both have amazing projects ahead.

Hello -
I am about to start a retheme.
Going to grab a Cobrapin board set. If you want me to pick up 2 sets to save postage and duty let me know.
It is OPP and looks to be the best thing I have come across.

I am using one of the main baords, along with the xpansion board

Agree with mission.

Going to use a Bally Game Show and rewrite software and re print the playfield.
Thanks for the offer, I did look at ordering cobra boards from them, but as I'm not in any rush I quite like the idea of getting some OPP boards printed up and populating them.
It works out a lot cheaper and will give me money to put towards other hardware as I'm starting without anything on this.
I keep looking for populated playfields but never see them come up at a decent price, would be good to have even the basic flipper mech and some of the lower third items to hand to get started.

I'm on with my own:

I decided to do it without using anybody else's hardware or software - i.e. almost from scratch. So using an ESP32s as the main processor, and off the shelf boards and parts:
WS2812B Addressable LED lighting
4 way mosfet power boards (for the solenoids)
Max7219 8 X 32 dot matrix displays for the score display
SD card sound card and amp
off the shelf DC Psu's

Total hardware spend on the electonics £86 !!!

I have used a fully populated playfield as the starting point

Software I have written from scratch - happy to share it. it's pretty easy stuff.
Wow, that is a bold move. Sounds like you'll end up with something you'll be really proud of knowing that you've done everything from the ground up.
I'm a while off software stage, might give you a message if choose not to mpf build it.
Will take a look at your thread now to see how it's going.

Thanks both, any others please share info as I love seeing how others are doing things, already two great examples of different approaches.

Forbidden Planet. P3_roc and MPF. There will be home games at pinfest.
Are your videos FFPinball on YouTube? Can see a few people have covered gameplay on your setup. It looks amazing, I'll be looking at it in more detail soon so expect a spike in YouTube views and likes.

Back
Top Bottom