What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any good broadband services that offer static ips still?

myPinballs

Site Supporter
Alias
Jim
I am being forced off plus net business which i use for my company broadband and to run my servers. I dont want to be sent back to BT because i hate them... transferred to plus net originally to get away from BT , now they are trying to send me back there as plus net is now bt's bitch

so,...

What to do. any good broadband services that offer static ips still or am i going to have to go down the hosted server route now..

I am being forced off plus net business which i use for my company broadband and to run my servers. I dont want to be sent back to BT because i hate them... transferred to plus net originally to get away from BT , now they are trying to send me back there as plus net is now bt's bitch

so,...

What to do. any good broadband services that offer static ips still or am i going to have to go down the hosted server route now..
Vodafone do but cannot say how good the connection may be in your area, no extra charge either.

I think most if not all Business broadband provides offer a fixed IP, home connections is a different matter. I am in the same boat with PlusNet but I need a PSTN connection for now for various reasons and any new connections seem not to supply them.

Cuckoo do for home, it was an extra £1 per month. No complaints with them, I only moved due to gigabit fttp becoming available with bt

Virgin Media Business have static IP too. Although the home deals state they aren't static, I've been with VM for years and never had my I change.

Or these guys used in finance

They also have there own Infrastructure

Virgin Media business have static IP can’t remember if it’s extra 10er a month though….

I definitely recommend Zen. Not the cheapest, but very reliable, don't degrade at peak times, and support you well when things go wrong.
Mark
One thing i like about them is that they dont increase the price by CPI every year.... Like most of the others do!!

Also hapilly meant that going from ADSL 80Mb to FTTP 900Mb (i must have been one of the first in the area when it was released as most other providers didnt support it - i noticed the increase in Openreach vans so knew something was happening, so dared to ask them the question when i saw they were out and about!!)

Reactions: JT.
Zen want £36 per month here. I have just signed up for £21.50 per month with Vodafone (but they do have that rip off April CPI thing).

Well, having an absolute knightmare switching my broadband service.

Stuck in a black hole with open reach!!

Plusnet is ending their business service because they were taken over by BT. So i switched to sky, but they need to update the line to fibre. all good i thought, but the sub contracted firm that does the upgrades to the lines refused to do it because their ladders were 'too short' to reach the telegraph line 'safely' -> wtf!! So we have to wait for open reach themselves to come and replace it (as they have longer ladders apparently) but open reach wont give me a date to do it as they keep saying they are waiting for engineers with the 'correct skillset' wtf!!!!

Oh yeah and open reach is owned by BT!!!

FOR **** SAKE.......

Plusnet is ending their business service because they were taken over by BT. So i switched to sky, but they need to update the line to fibre. all good i thought, but the sub contracted firm that does the upgrades to the lines refused to do it because their ladders were 'too short' to reach the telegraph line 'safely' -> wtf!! So we have to wait for open reach themselves to come and replace it (as they have longer ladders apparently) but open reach wont give me a date to do it as they keep saying they are waiting for engineers with the 'correct skillset' wtf!!!!

FOR **** SAKE.......
Doesn't matter who you go with the last mile is always BT (open reach), except for Virgin media, which is them. BT have always had a monopoly on this, on the old days installation fees could be nuts. They where forced due to the monopoly to spin that part of as open reach. To act independently 🤣😏

Doesn't matter who you go with the last mile is always BT (open reach), except for Virgin media, which is them. BT have always had a monopoly on this, on the old days installation fees could be nuts. They where forced due to the monopoly to spin that part of as open reach. To act independently 🤣😏
The word I get was that Openreach puts non-BT customers first, because of their Service Level Agreements, that include financial penalties for low performance. Some ISPs are probably better at leaning on Openreach than others.
Mark

Some ISPs are probably better at leaning on Openreach than others.
In my (Regular, through work) dealing with BT/Openreach, this is definately the case....

A lot of it is about the engineer though - the guy i had couldnt find the fibres in the streetbox that he was supposed to splice my fibre to (Seems like they had provisisoned to the wrong box - mainly because there's an old guy who parks on the pavement over opposite that ALWAYS parks on the pavement over the top of the box!). The engineer stuck with it, went off to do another job whilst waiting for more info etc on mine, and then came back at 6pm to connect me up. Top bloke.

Many of the 'big' ISPs struggle to deal with anything the doesn't go smoothly. Chasing up OpenReach is an art, very hard to do well and almost entirely manual.

Whilst owned by BT, Openreach is legally separate, so BT are in the same position as anyone else. No influence or favours. Honest gov, definitely not...

Nope, there's plenty of providers now laying fibre, all racing to build out competing networks. Whilst Openreach is one option, there are many others but it's a lottery as to which options run past your house.

As for who to go with, if you want proper service and are prepared to pay for it, then Andrews & Arnold are the best we've found. Know their stuff, keep you informed and will chase Openreach/Cityfibre etc for you.

Ive just switched to YouFibre and they dont use the Openreach network, they use another network called Netomnia.

Have been with Virgin Media for years but sick now of their constant attempts to put prices and having to phone them and they end up adding a "discount" so it goes back down again to the same price, and they changed their T&Cs last year to include the additional yearly April RPI % increase.

New contract with YF was cheaper for triple the speed (From 50 to 150) and no in contract price increases for 24 months.

Only downside Ive had so far is they use CG-NAT so I can no longer use DDNS and Port Forwards to an IPv4 Address without paying an additional £5 per month for a fixed IP, so cant get remote access to my HomeAssistant like I did before, but they do have IPv6 running so devices can get individual real world IPv6 addresses which appears to work with my DDNS provider, just need to work out now how to get the ports I need working through the router without turning off the whole IPv6 firewall on the router, either that or work on securing anything on my network that has an IPv6 address with local firewalls.

I just left Plusnet business and went with Vodaphone Hybrid really good value for money but its being activated on the 31st so no feedback yet.

In my (Regular, through work) dealing with BT/Openreach, this is definately the case....

A lot of it is about the engineer though - the guy i had couldnt find the fibres in the streetbox that he was supposed to splice my fibre to (Seems like they had provisisoned to the wrong box - mainly because there's an old guy who parks on the pavement over opposite that ALWAYS parks on the pavement over the top of the box!). The engineer stuck with it, went off to do another job whilst waiting for more info etc on mine, and then came back at 6pm to connect me up. Top bloke.
Yeah the guys I had turned up on a Friday, sucked teeth, refused to go up ladders because they weren’t long enough by 1 inch to reach where my line fixes to the house from the telephone pole

Did the internal fibre part then left saying someone else has to do the rest..

I didn’t even want to move is the funniest part of all this. being forced to!

Back
Top Bottom