What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another cabin build (not pin shed!)

I got mine from this company https://www.heartofenglandgroup.co.uk/log-cabins-photo-gallery I cannot fault the service, they are not the cheapest but the service was superb, really held my hands through the process, really recommended for no stress build.
Hints and tips, get someone that can give you a certificate for the electrics, make sure you can get enough amps out to the cabin from your house ring/Spur.
I would suggest going for decent thickness of logs for the walls, not the 22mm, it will help insulate it, as you will see from comments, i went for double bearers for the floor, purely as there is a lot of weight on the floor, and it can get very "springy", like a nightlub dance floor if not supported. I raised mine purely because the way my garden is, i am at the bottom of a hill, and the water tends to flood into my garden from all around, last thing i wanted was a soggy floor.

Thanks for this - I'll contact them for an idea of prices.

The electrics will be done by a qualified person, and I was thinking of having a new consumer unit in the garage, direct from the incoming supply specifically to service the cabin and some additional points in the garage, so capacity shouldn't be an issue.

Agree re. the logs - was thinking absolute minimum 44mm and maybe 58mm or thicker depending on price.

Good point re. the floor - double bearers sounds like a sensible precaution against having the floor move which would obviously ruin the experience of playing pins.

Yours looks really good - especially the lighting and bar bits!

One question has come up through further thinking about it - what do people do regarding temperature control - so heating in the winter and potential cooling in the hotter parts of summer? I did notice that one of the suppliers had a log burner option, but I'm not sure how practical this would be unless spending long periods of time in the cabin.

Any other tips from anyone really welcome. Thanks.

Thanks for this - I'll contact them for an idea of prices.

One question has come up through further thinking about it - what do people do regarding temperature control - so heating in the winter and potential cooling in the hotter parts of summer? I did notice that one of the suppliers had a log burner option, but I'm not sure how practical this would be unless spending long periods of time in the cabin.

Any other tips from anyone really welcome. Thanks.

AC units are about £600, mine gets hot in summer with the flat roof, but big wide doors and windows helped, for winter i will get one of those panel/pipe heaters to keep everything above freezing.

Don’t forget about humidity too. That is probably worse than cold temperatures.

I use a dehumidifier in mine that keep the humidity at around 50% and also throws a little heat out too.

Love hearing about everyone’s builds!

Don’t forget about humidity too. That is probably worse than cold temperatures.

I use a dehumidifier in mine that keep the humidity at around 50% and also throws a little heat out too.

Love hearing about everyone’s builds!

Dehumidifier is an excellent shout.

It seems that some of the "better?" portable air con units use a heat pump type of operation which enables them to act as both a heater and cooler, but they also have a dehumidifier function as well. As they are the type with a roughly 100mm hose out the back, it would need to be "permanently" fitted with a hole for the air hose drilled through the wall. We have one of these in our kitchen/breakfast room with the hose through the wall - it works ok in terms of keeping the room comfortable during the hot spells, but I don't know about the humidity (as being a kitchen this varies a lot as food is cooked).

Is anyone using one of these and does it provide sufficient dehumidifying capacity, or would I be looking at a separate dehumidifier? I understand the "heat pump" type heaters are a bit limited as the temperature drops as are the dedicated dehumidifiers using a compressor, but dessicant based dehumidifiers remain effective even at lower temps?

For the air con, I'd also be happy to consider a split unit type if this would be a better option.

Again, any views/experiences welcomed!

heat pump split unit AC system is what I would recommend.

heat pump split unit AC system is what I would recommend.

+1 for split AC units, extremely versatile and have a great efficiency rating, money well spent.

My recommendation would be a Mitsubishi system, they really are excellent. You would have to choose what you want, wall mounted is cheapest (still great though), then ceiling units or ducted units, all depend on your layout and what you want.

Chris.

Thanks @Neil McRae and @taz turbo - looks like a split unit A/C is the way to go - probably wall mounted - it also maximises available floor space. Happy going with Mitsubishi - looks like either Mitsubishi Heavy Industries or Mitsubishi Electric are both decent (separate companies since 1920s).

Fortunately we've had a good recommendation for a builder from a very good friend who came round yesterday to have a look - the log cabin would be part of a garden refurb including new retaining wall and extended patio (existing wall is collapsing), with glass veranda. The builder seems to know what they are talking about and as most decent tradespeople, he isn't available for a few months, but I'd rather wait than risk someone who we don't really know. Upside is that we can get the cabin and veranda ordered so they'll be ready for when the builder is available.

I'll take photos and update this thread, or create another when the time comes. Thanks all! :)

I already have a Mitsubishi Heavy Industries wall mounted split unit in my conservatory, it’s ace! Speaking with a refrigeration engineer I use with my work, he strongly recommended MHI for heat pump systems, I’ve known the guy many years and he’s well respected in the industry, so my new system just purchased had to be a MHI system. A nice discount just sweetened the deal 😎

You won’t look back 👍

All the best,

Chris.

Reactions: C&C
Back
Top Bottom