What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another cabin build (not pin shed!)

ronnie63

Site Supporter
Just looking into options at the moment! We have a decked area behind the garage that we don't really use, it's 4,80m by 4.80m, it consists of 6 posts cemented into the ground and the posts support the decking, the frame is I think 6 x4's. My only concern is would this carry the weight of a 1 ton log cabin? I would need to cut the 4 posts you see in the pic level with the decking. I spent ages looking at cabins and think I found one that is priced well from Tuin, it's 5m wide by 3m deep but footprint is 4.80 wide so would sit on the decking fine and leave a bit at the front for chairs etc.

IMG_20191215_095849.jpg

Now I'm not allowed to fill this with pins! But I may manage to get one and maybe a jukebox, we will see!. This is the one I have been looking at

Aiste-Log-Cabin-01.jpg

For the specs and price nothing compares that I can find! 40mm logs (most are 28mm) Double glazing, floor included, roof shingles included. Thinking as it's sitting on decking floor insulation could be minimal? Maybe even glass wool? And some Celotex in the roof? The walls I think I would leave as is

Here is a link to the actual cabin https://www.tuin.co.uk/Aiste-Log-Cabin-5-x-3m.html

It's on a limited price reduction at the moment question is should I pull the trigger or wait and see if it comes down further in the new year? Delivery to me is £100 on top!

Your thought and advice welcomed? This would be my preferred colours

Cheers Ronnie

Aiste-Log-Cabin-Carefree-Protect.jpg

No decking won’t support the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’d be inclined to remove it and put down either a concrete base or the rubber tiles folks have Ben using...

Neil

Thanks for sharing the link to the log cabin. I'll be looking for one in the next 6 months so it will be interesting to hear how you got on with this one if you end up getting it.
I presume you'll need to build it (ie it comes flat pack)?

I’d be inclined to remove it and put down either a concrete base or the rubber tiles folks have Ben using...

Neil

I guess the whole idea was based on using the decking to sit it on to keep the cost down! The decking frame is substantial but only supported in 6 places. I think I might get away with putting further supports down the middle also concreted in? But I could be wrong?

If we can't use the decking as a base it will be a no go due to increased cost!

Thanks Ronnie

Thanks for sharing the link to the log cabin. I'll be looking for one in the next 6 months so it will be interesting to hear how you got on with this one if you end up getting it.
I presume you'll need to build it (ie it comes flat pack)?

Hi Dom yes self build looks easy enough like lego lol, some videos in among the pictures on the tuin link?

Neil

Yeah, I support the above, just rip it out and start again. Buy once, cry once.

On the insulation, I would personally on scrimp here, especially on the flooring. I would go 100mm Celotex floor and walls and then rock wool on the roof.

Thanks guys, I will ask the builder (my mate) who built the decking, well he put together the frame see what he thinks! It could be a non starter!

I’ve been in a few folks pinsheds where the floor acted like a swamp and ruined the play experience because the floor and thus the game moved. So in building mine it was a key requirement for my build that the floor was rock solid, remember a modern pinball machine is around 130Kg - JJP or a TZ more like 160KG plus the pinball player (and let’s face it we’re not a light on our feet bunch! I’d skimp elsewhere but not on the floor and foundation for the games.

Also ensure that the log thickness is the maximum you can find as you’ll have less insulation issues. Take a look at the stuff on logcabins.co.uk

Neil.

Even though you aren’t out pins in I’d still go for as solid a floor as possible.

Even though you aren’t out pins in I’d still go for as solid a floor as possible.

I agree about the floor nothing worse than wobble, to be fair there is no bounce in the decking even with 20 people on it! But if I go with the decking I will lift some planks and concrete further posts down the middle to make double sure it's solid.

I looked at all the other places that sell cabins and the same spec was a grand more at best, going thicker or double skin was silly money! I think 40mm should be ok compared to 28mm which seems to be the norm.

1" Floor on my new build (supported by 3x2 beams), plus then 1" Celotex and then 18mm OSB3... all on an Eco-Deck500 base (which is Compression tested to a minimum 500 tonne / sqm)....

How is the surport posts fixed to the decking ?
If just nail to the side than that's no good !
Also will need a center surport to half the span of all of the joists
There is loads of ways to use that decking to make it adequate to have a pin shed on it as your builder / mate will tell you ,as for cost effective that's ,definitely !! ,it may be cheeper to take it up and start again if you were paying someone to do the work .

The joists are screwed to the posts, I would do the work myself. I think I would use the posts I cut off to support the middle of the joists and concrete them in. All the weight in the cabin is round the perimeter so I will need to make sure that an bear the weight

Thanks Ronnie

Just a wee update, my builder mate suggests I further support the decking around the perimeter of the cabin. So that's the plan.

I managed to get the cabin inc delivery for £2,234 which I think is a great price for a 5m x 3m cabin with 40mm logs and shingle roof. I opted not to buy the floor pack planning on using 22mm chipboard flooring which is damp resistant and probably 25mm foil backed insulation. But will decide once it's ready to build.

The good thing about Tuin I paid nothing up front I get a bill 10 days before delivery which is late January so if any better deal comes up I can cancel it.

Ronnie

Just a wee update! This landed last WednesdayIMG_20200124_093557.jpg

previous to that arriving I had been busy clearing the decked area which also involved removing some planks and further securing the frame via concreted in posts 12 in total!

IMG_20200124_093535.jpg

Thought I would update this post! The cabin is pretty much done, need to decide on exterior paint, I don't like wood stain! It is coated for now with silicone based sealer, Since we purchased it the price has shut up £1100!

Flooring is 22mm moisture repellant woodchip with 25mm cellotex and DPM Floor is solid!
Roofing is pine tongue and groove (supplied) breathable membrane then 25mm cellotex then 8mm OSB then shingles

Full electrics and wifi, the suite takes up a bit of space! But managed to get a pin in there! The bar is on wheels to easily move out the way if needed. Nothing too fancy but we enjoy the space/

IMG_20200810_092750.jpgIMG_20200810_092739.jpgIMG_20200810_092726.jpgIMG_20200810_092720.jpgIMG_20200810_092708.jpgIMG_20200810_092652.jpg

Someone asked me to post the build log for my shack, i don’t have that but i sent a few pics. For those that wanted to know the base had double bearers on 8 ton of gravel, with sleepers to contain area. This stops the damp you can get from concrete base, and it allows the cabin to shrink and grow with the weather, as they do move about a bit. Its built with 45mm logs, rubber roof not shingle, insulated floor. Sealed with clearcoat on outside, two lots of cabin paint, and it cost me sh*t lot more than 2.5k lol you can see finished result in this thread as “backlot bar” the theme is film so i have a gallery wall with all the celebs i have worked with throughout the years to put up. oh the size....its a 5mx3m.

Looks Nice Skippy, yeah my cost is more than 2.5k that was just to buy the kit delivered, insulation the floor electrics etc push it just over 3k but I done all the work myself

7 yrs ago, the vanguard cabin I bought from Dunster House was £4000 .. just the cabin - all in with roof (£1000 job with proper roof felt) electrics, insulation came in at around £8K all work done by me with friends & family (apart from roof) . same cabin is now £10,450.. just for a bare cabin..

Crazy

We're currently considering getting a log cabin for the garden and my wife is happy to go for a larger one so there will be space for some pins should I ever get any more!! :) Currently we have 2 pins and no more space available in the house...

Having read this thread, and searched for others, it looks like the Tuin ones are pretty reasonable, and I've also seen the logcabins.co.uk website which @Neil McRae mentioned which looks very interesting with what seem reasonable prices when you take into account the options such as EDPM roof, guttering, floor and roof insulation, 19mm tongue and grooved floor, double glazed doors and windows etc..

Are there any other manufacturers/suppliers that people may have used/know of that are worth considering?

Size wise, as it would be located down one side of the garden and the garden is approx 8.5m wide, I'm thinking maybe 3-3.5 metres deep - I'm assuming 3m external, so maybe 2.5m internal would be plenty to allow pins to be located across this dimension with space to remove the glass? The width of the cabin is likely to be 8 or 9 metres - the garden is pretty long (60 metres) so this dimension isn't constrained by available space, only the fact that it's on a slight slope so the top end would need the ground lowering slightly and the far end the ground raising to provide a level base.

Any thoughts, tips, or advice would be very welcome, thanks.

We're currently considering getting a log cabin for the garden and my wife is happy to go for a larger one so there will be space for some pins should I ever get any more!! :) Currently we have 2 pins and no more space available in the house...

Any thoughts, tips, or advice would be very welcome, thanks.
I got mine from this company https://www.heartofenglandgroup.co.uk/log-cabins-photo-gallery I cannot fault the service, they are not the cheapest but the service was superb, really held my hands through the process, really recommended for no stress build.
Hints and tips, get someone that can give you a certificate for the electrics, make sure you can get enough amps out to the cabin from your house ring/Spur.
I would suggest going for decent thickness of logs for the walls, not the 22mm, it will help insulate it, as you will see from comments, i went for double bearers for the floor, purely as there is a lot of weight on the floor, and it can get very "springy", like a nightlub dance floor if not supported. I raised mine purely because the way my garden is, i am at the bottom of a hill, and the water tends to flood into my garden from all around, last thing i wanted was a soggy floor.
Mine is almost complete now, here are a couple more pics.IMG_0794.JPGIMG_0806.JPG

Back
Top Bottom