What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alice Cooper’s Nightmare Castle – UK Shipping To Arrive Soon?

likey, likey, it's a shame you can't hear it much.At Daventry I had an absolute blast playing it by banging my my little head, to the great sounds on Thursday night
. Lots of Alice callouts. Phenomenal artwork and animations . . It's a shame the tilt next player isn't an actual mystery award. Nice upper pf shots, especially the guillotine . The bass would probably give the opposite sex an orgasm if they sat on it. Boom

Last edited:
I tilted through to the next player twice, strange they haven't coded that out in a modern machine, I'm sure it'll be added but you'd think it would be in there from the start. Really enjoyed playing it though, shots are tight so be prepared to hit a lot of posts, not as tight as Houdini thankfully.

That game was just incredible, enjoyed it so much and a huge effort from @Big Phil to get it to the show. Was definitely drawing the crowd in.

@Poibug seem to enjoy it, he was either running around helping someone or within 3 feet of it.

So exactly how tight are the shots compared to other games, say the left orbit of a BM66? The games I've owned are in my signature if there are comparable shots.

Just watching the Buffalo stream and it does seem tough.

Well, speaking as somebody who is most definitely not an expert player in any way, I didn't find the shots to be especially difficult. Definitely more achievable than on plenty of other tables I've played.

Well, speaking as somebody who is most definitely not an expert player in any way, I didn't find the shots to be especially difficult. Definitely more achievable than on plenty of other tables I've played.

That's cos those shots you keep missing on those other tables, well, on Alice Cooper, the shots are in the places those misses go (maybe!) ;)

Finally got an Alice Cooper thanks to @Marble Madness :D. It looks better in person than the pictures and videos I'd seen and the sound is amazing. I see it as a schlocky horror pin rather than a music pin.

There is an unbelievable amount of shots, yes some are tight but after a few games I'm hitting them frequently enough. I'd rather it be like this than a few boring, simple to hit shots. The Danesi lock seems to be in the same place as TNA so doing the same 'half volley' shot feels just as rewarding and can even be used to get it up the right ramp, and right orbit. I'm still getting used to where the ball comes out when it enters one of the many channels.

Upper playfields can sometimes be a bit 'meh' but this one compliments the game perfectly, lots to do up there.

Early days yet but really pleased to own this, nothing quite like getting a new (to me) Pin in the house. TNA will be missed but no regrets moving it on.

Last edited:
The rules design of this game is fantastic but for me it just lacks any sort of satisfaction when I hit a shot on it - add to the fact that every shot interrupts flow (I.e. it’s super hard to hit alot of the important shots without a cradle of the ball (atleast for me). The flow/frustration ratio for me is just too much towards frustration - a tiny bit of movement of some of the shots would have cured this and made a superb game. But for me it’s a disappointment.

That's such a shame @Neil McRae - the time I spent with it at Pinfest, made me think it was an absolute beast of a game, sure the shots were tight, but I loved the theme and the code. Unfortunately, there have been a few move around of late, and I am not sure a huge number came in, don't quote me on that. So it seems there is some basis for what you are saying. Also, the frustrations around code and quality.

We know Spooky do good games, we know this is something different. It sold, but maybe just won't hold out in the long run as well as TNA and what we think Rick and Morty will likely do.

Well, mine's going nowhere - arrived in August and I'm still addicted to the thing (your invite's still there James!). It certainly pays to set yourself up with a cradle for some of the shots, but I like that. Suits the feel and the theme.
When I want to go combo-crazy with a fast-flow there's a lovely Kiss sitting next to it.
The two compliment each other very nicely.

Question for Alice owners, does a fast shot coming down the right orbit go to the left flipper, right flipper or STDM? Mine were going STDM, adjusted the ball guide so fast shots now go to the left flipper, but slow shots now go SDTM.

Also on the backboard when a game is started my 3rd from right bulb is off. Sometimes it flashes when Lab Lock 2 flashes. S̶t̶r̶a̶n̶g̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶o̶p̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶e̶s̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶t̶u̶c̶u̶l̶a̶r̶ ̶b̶u̶l̶b̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶s̶ . Works fine when testing all bulbs and before starting a game. The pins behind the bulb were quite bent so possibly not getting a proper connection. Is this just mine?

20200124_161000.jpg

Last edited:
That’s interesting - I think a fast shot leaving right orbit always used to allow a dead right(?) flip for me until I started faffing with the level. Think it’s around 6.7 at the mo.
Now it probably would drain if I didn’t flip to stop it. Definitely goes more right than left though.
Not noticed anything untoward with that bulb. I’ll have a game later and report back.
Any excuse 😁

Also on the backboard when a game is started my 3rd from right bulb is off. Sometimes it flashes when Lab Lock 2 flashes. Strangely there isn't an option to test that partucular bulb in the settings. Works fine when testing all bulbs and before starting a game. The pins behind the bulb were quite bent so possibly not getting a proper connection. Is this just mine?

My back board lights don't match what is in the manual. Back board 1 should be the far left bulb (24) mine is the Vampire Stake (18), plus some of the others are in different places. Either the manual is wrong or mine are wired wrong. T̶h̶e̶ ̶V̶a̶m̶p̶i̶r̶e̶ ̶S̶t̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶e̶n̶u̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶e̶s̶t̶ (but does light correctly when in that mode). Might wait for the code update as it isn't really a big issue.

Screenshot_20200124-194227.png

Last edited:
Anyone else get ball hang ups on the felt pads that bounce the ball back up into the ball save magnet?

Strangely mine only hangs on the left hand side one. Not normally a problem as a nudge shifts it but a pain during multiball

All the lights are in the test I suspect they are not plugged in correctly go into individual lamp test and toggle through them maybe stake is connected to the one on the back board and visa versa

That’s interesting - I think a fast shot leaving right orbit always used to allow a dead right(?) flip for me until I started faffing with the level. Think it’s around 6.7 at the mo.
Now it probably would drain if I didn’t flip to stop it. Definitely goes more right than left though.
Not noticed anything untoward with that bulb. I’ll have a game later and report back.
Any excuse 😁

Reporting back, Hard shot to spinner leaves right orbit and hits end of left flipper.
Weaker shot generally needs right flipper to save it.
Think I did some misremembering there, funny how it all becomes so automatic.
That light is fine in mine.

All the lights are in the test I suspect they are not plugged in correctly go into individual lamp test and toggle through them maybe stake is connected to the one on the back board and visa versa
Thanks Chris, I must have been through the menu 10 times last night without see the Vampire Stake, this morning it is there in plain sight! :-o It is indeed connected to the wrong bulb, and the Vampire bulb is just flashing green and red rather than RGBW. I'll take the glass off later and have another look.

Reporting back, Hard shot to spinner leaves right orbit and hits end of left flipper.
Weaker shot generally needs right flipper to save it.
Think I did some misremembering there, funny how it all becomes so automatic.
That light is fine in mine.
The ball guide is quite bendy so could change over time. Luke at Spooky posted on Pinside a while back:

"Hey guys on that right orbit the ball guide can get bent in slowly through game play if it takes hard shots. If you just carefully straighten it back out a bit it will send a fast shot right to the center of the flipper!"

Back board/Vampire Stake LED cables swapped to what they should be now, not sure why they were so messed up.

It looks like I have a couple not working correctly. Tried plugging in to different cables so I know it is the LEDs rather than the cables that are faulty. One is a flaky connection, the other just shows red and green. I'll try and source a couple of replacements.

Last edited:
They tend to foul up on something when you lift the playfield up and get damaged I would just check they are plugged in correctly as they are not keyed and can easily be put on the wrong way round on a pin out

Right orbit SDTM fixed. My issue was the ball hitting the rubber. Had to bend the end of the ball guide out a little bit. Both fast and slow shots now go straight to the right flipper. No more excuses for my crappy scores now!

20200125_154627.jpg

What difficulty level are people playing this at, Easy Action, Schools Out (Default) or Welcome to my Nightmare? I've just set mine to the hardest as I believe you will hear more callouts and visit more rooms as you aren't skipping them on the easier settings.

Back
Top Bottom