What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice on where to find first machine to restore?

MorphVR6

Registered
Hi All
New to the forum, didn't know it about till to day, so glad I found it.
Would love some advice on first machine to restore and where to look for one?
I'm up in the North Shields area.
Thanks

Hi All
New to the forum, didn't know it about till to day, so glad I found it.
Would love some advice on first machine to restore and where to look for one?
I'm up in the North Shields area.
Thanks

put a wanted as in here asking for a restoration project. be specific. ie are you wanting an older EM (electro mechanical) or an 80s solid state or a 90s dot matrix display, DMD. also does it need to be working or non working etc etc.

also check ebay. quite often find interesting stuff there. i’ve bought two non working EMs from ebay and really enjoyed getting them working again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi AlanJ
Thanks for the reply and advice on AD posting, getting head around the types and terminology etc. Differently look for an EM to restore.

Hi Hullshark
Will check that out, guess I best leave the van at home so I don't make any rushed decisions.... :oops:

I purchased a project machine from a member here. I looked for a working machine that required a small amount of TLC. Despite getting a table in decent condition, getting simple things to work properly can take a huge amount of time, just understanding the schematic and how it all works.

I think if I'd got a totally non-working machine with multiple issues then I may well have buckled under the pressure, especially seeing as I had no experience.

Lots of help on here and pinside along with Clay's guide to repairing EMs will make it a lot easier.

Make sure you can get a schematic for the table. I'd be totally lost without it.

Lots of help on here and pinside along with Clay's guide to repairing EMs will make it a lot easier.

Make sure you can get a schematic for the table. I'd be totally lost without it.
yep clays guide invaluable

gottlieb manuals and schematics hard to find as no pdfs on the net as the owners of the copyright pursued all sites who hosted them a few years ago.

ipdb good for all other makes info on there usually has manuals. schematics

zaccaria and segasa also hard to get info. segasa though often based on williams. i coulda find schematic for my segasa baby doll but the willians satin doll one is almost identical and it’s worked for me.
agree you can’t fix an em without the schematic. not unless you’ve done them before.

andy at pinball mania has quite a few schematics and manuals you can buy or hire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

Some great advice, thank you all.

Been an electrical and mechanical engineer I look forward to the challenge, love to put my skills to the test and breath life back into to these timeless beauties.
One goal is to some day own The Addams Family...... boy are these expensive in any condition.. for now I shall keep dreaming of the day....

If it’s an EM you are after I have a Bally kick off that just needs some woodwork around the collar that the head sits on and rerubbered and given a clean, otherwise seems to be working fine

or I have a Zaccaria Ski jump that doesnt reset properly when you hit start, guessing just some contacts need cleaning/adjusting but its currently well down the list of stuff that need doing.

I also have some solid state machines in need of various levels of work

let me know if interested, I’m based in Northern Ireland but shipping to mainland is only about £100

gottlieb manuals and schematics hard to find as no pdfs on the net as the owners of the copyright pursued all sites who hosted them a few years ago.

That's because you can buy new direct from pinball resource - pbresource.com

zaccaria and segasa also hard to get info. segasa though often based on williams. i coulda find schematic for my segasa baby doll but the willians satin doll one is almost identical and it’s worked for me. agree you can’t fix an em without the schematic. not unless you’ve done them before.

Great Zacc resource at http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/

Segasa (and Bell) are normally copies of (or re-badged) Williams

Back
Top Bottom