What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding connectors to playfield/backbox wire system

Flyte

Site Supporter
hey all

Was thinking of splitting the wire cables that go from a playfield to the back box so I can take it out of the cab easier for repair.

Anyone ever done anything like that before? 130 wires is a lot and wondering if standard molex 12way pins would be ok to use of if anyone has a recommendation for another way

Ta

It's very rare I need to remove a playfield from a cab (other than replacing the actual playfield) so not sure the amount of work required to add the connectors could be justified.

Additionally, several of the cables cary power, so would need more substatial connectors, and (particularly the GI) connectors are likely to suffer from the usual burning problem

If you want to remove the play then just remove the relevant connectors from the boards in the back, label them (MPU, J2 etc) and then pull the playfield. I wouldn't advise chopping up the harnesses as there's no need and it will make the game harder to sell on in the future

yeah you're all right! more I think about it the more I think it's a terrible idea haha just the back box is so complicated :p

I'm taking the playfield out to restore which is why I was thinking about it.

Cheers guys :p

Just take your time removing connectors from the boards, label them all with a sharpie and take a load of pics and you'll have no problem putting it all back again. I know it looks like an absolute rats nest of wiring but it's not that bad once you get into it and you don't have to disconnect everything to get a playfield out :thumbs:

Love the pin2k system, its possible to have the disconnected playfield out of the machine in about a minute I would say.

Back
Top Bottom