What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Addams Family left playfield lights out

Giles

Registered
Hi all

Some of my of playfied lights have stopped working on my Addams Family machine.
On the left of the playfield, including the one on the left slingshot (Morticia) and the 3 behind the flipper are out.
Also 1/2 of the lights in the backbox are out. I can see that the wires (orange ones) from the backbox go to J121. I've unplugged that and pushed it firmly back.
I'm not sure if the play fields lights are related or if it's just a coincidence.

Any help gratefully received.

Hello, Giles,

Those particular lamps are what's termed 'general illumination'; the boardset in Addams Family supports 5 separate circuits (or 'strings'), which are supplied with an ac feed. You probably have two of the strings out of action. The wiring for these circuits is notorious for burning-up their connectors, in the lower left corner of the large Power/Driver circuit board in the backbox.

There's a test routine for the G.I. strings, which operates them either together or individually. In the individual part, with a defective string shown, pressing the start button provides help by listing which fuse protects the string, along with its wire colours and connector pin-outs.

Last edited:
Voila! You were spot one. Thanks mate, that's exactly what needed attention. On close inspection J115 had burnt yellow wires. I pulled them out cut off the burnt bits, stripped them a little and re-seated them and everything is working!
I think I'll need to replace the whole thing soon. The plastic is very brittle and there are scorch marks on most of the pins.

Cheers!

theres a good chance your plug is burnt too,going forward would recommend inspection and probable plug connector replacement burnt contacts pull more current so therefore overheat

That's the plan. The lights have gone out again and the IDC connector is now in two parts. Definitely needs replacing.
I managed to find a replacement IDC connector. Does anyone know where I can acquire an idc pusher?
I tried Maplin today, but they looked at me like I was from Mars.
Thanks

Where in Notts are you? I have the tools although I'd suggest replacing with a trifurcon molex connector rather than IDC :thumbs:

Reactions: DRD
Erm, okay...
What's a trifurcon molex? Sounds like something one might contract in the tropics :hmm:
But seriously, thanks for advice. I'm a little new to this. Where can I get one of these? And do they need any special tools?
I'm in W Bridgford btw.
Cheers

But seriously, thanks for advice. I'm a little new to this. Where can I get one of these? And do they need any special tools?
I'm in W Bridgford btw.

Andy has linked to both things above (although you also need the connector block to put the crimp pins in and a crimping tool if you go down the trifurcon route). Happy to pop round to give you a hand as I have both tools, just let me know :thumbs:

Reactions: DRD
Back
Top Bottom