What's new

74ls02 N or P?

deathrow

Registered
Hey all,

Quick question:
(I have checked data sheets and I’m still no wiser)

What’s the difference between 74ls02n and 74ls02p? I gather each/either can be used for same function?

Thank you

The n and the p at the end effectively denote their polarity, so a 74ls02n works in the opposite way to a 74ls0p. That means that one would produce a current flow when the other blocked a current flow, and vice verce. So you can't swap a 74ls02n for a 74ls02p - if you do then unspecified bad things will happen, and the pinball gods will be angered.

But in many cases you could swap one type of p transistor with a "bigger" p transistor, or one type of n transistor with a "bigger" n one, because the bigger ones would work in the same way (only bigger).

Hope that helps.

I think you’re barking up the wrong tree there. The n and p suffixes for 74 series devices denote the package type. I think n is plastic and p is ceramic. Functionally identical so no problem interchanging.

I think you’re barking up the wrong tree there. The n and p suffixes for 74 series devices denote the package type. I think n is plastic and p is ceramic. Functionally identical so no problem interchanging.

Phew! Awesome news! Bought many many chips lol. I struggled to see any difference in schematics etc.

The ls is low power ? Ok to use either?

Sorry @deathrow, for some reason I thought we were talking about transistors here. Didn't realise sn7402n is a logic gate but was a bit confused when you mentioned schematics which should have made me pay more attention. Ignore what I said above. Gonna delete it in case it confuses anyone reading this.

Back
Top Bottom