What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3K ish Stern games opinions and ideas wanted

If you can stretch your budget a wee bit Spider-Man is a great choice. Can’t get more flow than that.

I don’t think there’s a better value game out there IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think even at 3.5 it might be a push or a totally sh*gged example. Do like SM though- recently played a ropey one and still enjoyed it

With pinball prices seeming to be getting a bit crazy (crazier) since I last posted on this thread- I’m not sure how my £3k budget will hold up given how much some of these games are going for. Will be changing my WPT towards the end of this year once I can move the pin back through my house ( currently a building site ); I digress….. what’s a good alternative SAM Stern game with decent flow and code between these please:

24, BBH, CSI and WOF. Would even consider TRS with mick on a stick. Any other suggestions welcome. Still hoping to snag an Avatar or POTC for around that price range if anyone is thinking about moving theirs on in the next few months.

thanks, Peter
CSI for me. I bought one on a whim and I regret selling it. A Pat Lawlor game with some interesting, unusual shots with great callouts. Solidly built with great toys. Really good value for money.

Of course though The main point is you should be waiting/saving until a Spiderman comes your way. Still Stern’s best all round bang for buck game. If it had decent artwork it would be one of the best pins ever (I still think it is).

What would you look out for when buying a SM? i know they vaulted it and fitted a few protectors here and there

What would you look out for when buying a SM? i know they vaulted it and fitted a few protectors here and there
Check to see if the Doc Ock magnet is mushroomed and chewing up the playfield.
There can also be damage around the area in the pop bumpers where the ball is kicked out from the Sandman. This era of Stern has very robust playfields so the rest of it should be ok. The entrances to the ramps are often damaged and they are hard/expensive to source. Ramp protectors are available and can cover/protect any light damage. Plastics for Stern games are generally VERY hard to source so don’t be put off if you find one and it has a couple of cracked plastics. It’s just the way of it with Stern games.
Electronically Stern SAM games are about as good as it gets. Ultra reliable.

Check to see if the Doc Ock magnet is mushroomed and chewing up the playfield.
There can also be damage around the area in the pop bumpers where the ball is kicked out from the Sandman. This era of Stern has very robust playfields so the rest of it should be ok. The entrances to the ramps are often damaged and they are hard/expensive to source. Ramp protectors are available and can cover/protect any light damage. Plastics for Stern games are generally VERY hard to source so don’t be put off if you find one and it has a couple of cracked plastics. It’s just the way of it with Stern games.
Electronically Stern SAM games are about as good as it gets. Ultra reliable.
Thanks for that- excellent info- I’ve noticed a few games with that magnet issue where the magnet looked warped

Just a small defence of IJ to show a range of opinions. I agree as a home based pin it is too simple as its repeating 3 targets and a loop, but on site its actually done really well as an intro for new players. Its easy to get into, a theme everyone knows and an easy wow factor multiball.

Seen a lot of smiles on players trying that pin!

Anyway back on topic- I agree Spiderman if you can get one is the best choice.

Okay- I’m half cut so probably not the best time to post…. But!!! Played a few pins tonight and here’s my novice take on the games I’ve had a go on in town tonight:

IJ4- wanted to like it; really didn’t
GOT Premium- nice light show and cool upper playfield but I’m too cr*p to make it up there - didn’t like how I couldn’t see the ball half the time.
GB Pro- shaker motor fitted (Wow!!!) Loved it.
At least I know I’m not in the market for a Stern Indy- playing a CSI and a WOF tomorrow. Have a feeling I’ll like both

Last edited:
Have you asked @kevlar what he wants for his Star Trek Pro that he is selling at pinfest? Same shots as spidey but more modern and lots of mods for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the suggestion Neil but unfortunately I’m in the middle of building work and won’t be looking to buy anything new until it’s done (early November)- as much as I’d love a ST Pro, closer to a £3k budget is more what I think I’ll have- guessing a decent ST Pro goes for £4kish? I remember that one that didn’t shift for a while then went to EBay for £3900; but that was pre pandemic so who knows in the current market?

Resurrecting this thread- building work done after many delays , finally thinking about moving on WPT. Have hit a brick wall with my scores and fancy something else soon. How much would one of these SAM systems be approx. players to good condition fine so long as all working…
SM
BTDK
POTC Stern
AC/DC pro not vault
Transformers Pro
Mustang (not sure if there’s any in the UK)
Iron Man not vault

4.5K is your budget for those now. I'd try and find Spiderman or Star Trek if you are struggling with WPT the rest will beat you.

Neil.

Back
Top Bottom