What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3K ish Stern games opinions and ideas wanted

SteadyP

Site Supporter
Alias
Steady
Hi all, this isn’t a wanted advert-what’s a good modern Stern game for a novice player? Just thinking about my next game- still enjoying WPT and it’s long shots but want something a bit different that I haven’t played before later in the year. Have played FG, Tron and SM but am interested in opinions on...

POTC, IJ4, BTDK, Avatar, Avengers Pro or Transformers Pro. Firstly- Which are the most fun to play of these? Secondly- how rare are each in the UK? Never really see many on the forum changing hands. Is Avatar more brutal than Tron? Is IJ4 really as bad as some say? Is POTC a slog? Is Avengers just a Hulk smashathon? Is Batman a bit ‘meh’? Need some opinions before I can get my head around what I want next. Open to any other suggestions too! Cheers,
Peter

Is Avatar more brutal than Tron?
Yes, definitely!

for £3k your options are limited, but POTC, BDK and Transformers would be my choices, plus Spider-Man is my favourite if you can get one.

I wouldn't buy a £3k Tron - it will be a bleak experience. That game needs the mods to shine.

If you can stretch your budget to a Met Pro then you'll be a very happy man.

Last edited:
I’ve never owned one and I’m not really a fan of the theme, but I’ve always enjoyed Avatar when I’ve played it. Reminds me of Iron Man.

Not a fan of Avengers (assume we’re talking about the old one) or Transformers, both felt clunky to me and neither have any truly satisfying shots.

Quite like POTC, although it is a bit stop and go. The ship is a great toy, especially for a Stern.

Don’t really have strong feelings either way re IJ4 or BTDK - both feel pretty average. IJ has a great theme but the Ark multiball feels a bit gimmicky. Wouldn’t mind a bit more time on one at some point. Really not a fan of the spinning action figure in a plastic case on TDK.

Given the choice of those games I’d prob go for Avatar if the theme doesn’t put you off, with POTC my second choice.

Edit - Iron Man is better than all those games from my perspective but you’d prob have to increase your budget a bit. It‘ll also make you a better player.

I find them similar and play Avatar more than Tron at the moment. Decent speakers makes a BIG difference in both.

Avatar with better speakers and a shaker I would say is a good choice out of those with your budget, wife’s favourite and secretly me😂

Last edited:
Of the games you've mentioned:
  • POTC is a good fun game (I currently own one) with some cool toys and decent rules
  • IJ4 is decent especially if you like the theme. It can get a bit old for the better player as making progress deeper into the rules requires a lot of wood chopping so can get a bit boring but if you want something to bash about on then it's good.
  • BTDK another fun game with good rules. I prefer POTC but I'd put them both in the same bracket in terms of playability (POTC as better toys).
  • Avatar is a really good game but is hard and can be brutal. Great music and callouts but might frustrate the lesser skilled player.
  • Avengers I've never really gotten into but I know people like it once you get some games on it. If the theme is a good one for you then worth looking at but you might one to play one first.
  • Transformers has got really good rules in terms of loads to do (almost too much for the less experienced player) and I like the music/callouts. Toys on the pro are a bit meh. I'd say it's got the most to do and complete out of all of the games (not sure about Avengers as I haven't played it enough).

Of the mid ish range Sterns I know/have played/can thin of; I would say something like; Spiderman>>>>>>>X-Men>>>>>>>Iron Man>>>>>>>>Pirates>>>>>>>BTDK

Never played Transformers or Avatar.

Getting the impression Transformers and Avatar might kick my ass- IM has the same reputation it would seem. Thanks for all the input gents- keep those suggestions coming! Gonna check out some gameplay streams of the Avengers and BTDK. Would even have considered a WWE Pro; but can’t get away with the cabinet and backglass (I know this seems rich coming from a WPT owner!)

I love my Avatar. Most games are short and brutal which suits me down to the ground and keeps me coming back, and on the occasions when it does all come together it is very rewarding. Sounds and call outs are excellent.

Hi all, this isn’t a wanted advert-what’s a good modern Stern game for a novice player? Just thinking about my next game- still enjoying WPT and it’s long shots but want something a bit different that I haven’t played before later in the year. Have played FG, Tron and SM but am interested in opinions on...

POTC, IJ4, BTDK, Avatar, Avengers Pro or Transformers Pro. Firstly- Which are the most fun to play of these? Secondly- how rare are each in the UK? Never really see many on the forum changing hands. Is Avatar more brutal than Tron? Is IJ4 really as bad as some say? Is POTC a slog? Is Avengers just a Hulk smashathon? Is Batman a bit ‘meh’? Need some opinions before I can get my head around what I want next. Open to any other suggestions too! Cheers,
Peter

Owned or played all of you list and others mentioned above.

POTC , IJ4 , BTDK, Avatar, Avengers Pro or Transformers Pro. Firstly- Which are the most fun to play of these?
Transformers
Secondly- how rare are each in the UK?
All are fairly rare as people like to hold one to them and they're like buses, when one comes up for sale...
Yes, it is although it could be made easier if you adjust the factory settings to easy..!
Is IJ4 really as bad as some say?
Yes.
Yes, it can be.
Is Avengers just a Hulk smashathon?
If you don't know how to play it then Yes, otherwise No...! With lots of potential e.g. with character vs character mini multiballs, etc. Again could be made easier than the standard factory settings. I own two for a while and put them side by side, one set to easy with extra balls and people were amazed by the difference and how much further in to the game they could get.
Is Batman a bit ‘meh’?
Can be but then you can have some really good games.

Ironman is a good game but I found it lacking so no long own and sold it to help fund a Metallica, still have Avatar and Tron (plus an on loan Transformers).

At this price point don't forget AC/DC pro and X-men. Best bang for buck is Avatar, which is probably one of the cheaper games in the list. If you can find a Tron for £3kish then you'll be doing exceedingly well.

IJ4 for me wasn't great, but mainly cos I was really bad at it. I played it in the same line up on a league meet as a Williams Indy, and I loved the Williams but just didn't get along with the Stern one. Played 7 or 8 games and just couldn't get into the flow. I generally have a preference for 90s Williams though so my opinion might be tainted there. Also played BTDK in same league night and definitely liked it. It was a decent game, much better than IJ4, but Williams Indy was the only one I left that meet thinking I want to own that. Take from that what you will. :)

*anyone with a nice Williams Indy for sale?*

Last edited:
Batman TDK is the best on your list, interesting rules.
Stern IJ is worse than anyone says, hopeless.
Has there been any changes made by the community to the stock callouts and music for IJ4? just watched 10 mins of gameplay and the sound fx seem a bit grating / repetitive when hitting the scoops / ball locks.

Sold an absolute beaut of a IJ around 2.5 not that long ago if I remember rightly. I think it’s a cracker of a pin for the price.
FG is a ton of fun around the same price.
Spider-Man is quite a jump up in price but well worth it. I’ve just sold one for 3k with a few issues but nothing drastic.

Find a Tron for 3k is a hell of a lot harder though so good luck in that front.

Col

Yeah Tron at 3k ain't happening. I think there might have been one at that price a while back but surely a one off. I guess maybe if it was absolutely shagged
There’s a pro version in Newcastle I play at a snooker hall. It’s doorty as oot but still plays well. Realistically I know a good one’s going to be out of my budget. Thanks for all the information fellas- can’t wait until we’re all allowed to get back into venues, really need to play some more games.

There’s a pro version in Newcastle I play at a snooker hall. It’s doorty as oot but still plays well. Realistically I know a good one’s going to be out of my budget. Thanks for all the information fellas- can’t wait until we’re all allowed to get back into venues, really need to play some more games.
I played that very Tron many many years ago I’m amazed it’s still there wow

It’s still there- hopefully so will Hustlers and many other businesses when we come out of this c*** situation. Don’t know of many other pins in the wild in the North East- played the odd game of SM in Jesmond, IM on the Gateshead side of the Quayside a while back and a SW Pro somewhere while I was highly intoxicated. I’m sure a Barcade / cafe with a good lineup of pins would do well up here in the right place.

SW was probably the Alvinos near the swan house.
Yep I’ve talked about a Barcade in the NE a fair few times over the years but I’m getting a little long in the tooth now and it’s maybe for someone with a little more get up and go than I seem to muster this past few year.
One day it may happen you never know.

I’ve owned a few on your list.

I’d say SM, BTDK and IM are all good value around £3k and give much more rounded experiences than some of the others.

IJ4 - run away. It’s awful.

When you say 3K I think you mean the top end of 3K for some of these - a decent Spider-Man is >3500 in my view and my a mile is the best out of this selection.

@johnwhitfield has a nice BMDK that he has (had?) For sale currently at flip out. BMDK has its issues but there is a lot to do on it. 3500 and lower for a nice one of these.

In view view avatar is the worst of these games, it’s just totally soulless and one of the first to have the lame Borg bottom. Tons of them around I think Matt Vince has 20 of them or something.

Transformers is a very strong game and comes after Spider-Man. It gets a kick-in from a lot because stern cheapo’ed it big time and a lot of code between transformers avengers and xmen is copied over. But transformers went a bit further and it’s got some real challenge to it. Avengers very close and has limited shots because of the mad design but it’s actually quite a good game to play - look at Karl’s stream of it:

Ij4 like the movie is a no from me.

POTC cheap but shows it’s age.

Not a huge number of transformers BMDK, or avengers around which helps the price stay a bit stronger for sure especially when crazies are buying TNG’s for 4K+

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh and iron man is epic but will be more than 4K I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You need to make your own mind up because I have one of Neil’s favourites next to one of his least favourites and the one to the right gives people as much fun here.
And it’s half the price😂
I upgraded the speakers ( JBL ) and added a shaker motor which did make a big difference as it sounded crap before.

Prices are getting crazy it seems which is putting me off the whole thing🤷‍♂️

£3k ish budget needs to be £4k these days☹️ I would have Iron Man in that case.

Attachments

• 676A9FE6-4CBF-487A-A205-35AE02EF696E.jpeg
    676A9FE6-4CBF-487A-A205-35AE02EF696E.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 27
Back
Top Bottom