What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D Printers

Assume the AMS is simple enough ? just load it up with filament and let it go ?

Getting close to getting one of these, seems so much simpler than my old one which has been lying dormant for a few years

pretty much yeah as long as the filament is in good condition. if its brittle and breaks off then your likely pulling the ams apart to push out the broken fillament. Bit of a pain but not the end of the world.

Stick with good condition filament and its reliable.

Cant use flexible's in it.

Assume the AMS is simple enough ? just load it up with filament and let it go ?

Getting close to getting one of these, seems so much simpler than my old one which has been lying dormant for a few years
Pretty much as @paulg100 said.

The Bambu own filament has RFID tags on the spool which the AMS reads and then transfers over to Bambu's slicing program to ensure best results when printing (You can also manually tell it what filament you've loaded in there).

Due to the way it loads/unloads each filament can't use flexible or poor quality (brittle) filament in the AMS. I used some old filament which wasn't greatest quality and it jammed. There are very concise instructions on how to do just about everything on BambuWiki, as well as lots of details photos accompanying them. The whole machine seems to be completely modular from what I've discovered so far, with each of the components being able to be bought individually - whether that's a particular circuit board, hotend assembly or roller.

It's also extremely simple to switch from the AMS to a spool holder. Simply unclip one bowden tube from the pressure fitting and feed the filament straight in.

With the autobed levelling on the P1S, the profile of filaments taken into account, and the warnings you get when slicing - there's simply no reason for a failed print, yet I have still managed 3 :mad: (out of about 40)

Feel like I'm swimming against the tide here (but I'm a fully paid up contrarian so no surprise!) as recently decided to buy a Prusa Mk 4. I started playing with 3d printing 2/3 years ago with a Vyper (from Voxelab which is part of Flashforge). It was a good beginner printer with manual bed levelling (I didn't bother adding a BL touch), reliable and worked very well. I then moved through a couple of more expensive Creality printers with mixed results and a fair amount of tinkering required. Obviously lots of forums and YouTube where you can hunt for helpful info but I increasingly felt that the way Prusa support their customers through the large open source community they've intentionally built is a very big positive. So I waited a few months for the Mk4 to get up to full spec with its input shaper sorted (with latest 5.1.0 firmware), thought hard about Bambu and the Creality K1 but then went for the Mk4 self assembly option. This seemed like a no brainer as I reasoned they were effectively paying me circa £250 to have a couple of days of fun putting it together. I know it won't suit everyone but it was very straightforward and the instructions were absolutely first class. All components were comprehensively labelled and cross referenced to the instructions. It prints very fast and is pretty quiet even without an enclosure. The auto levelling 30 point routine takes a minute before each print and the first layers are perfect. I mostly use PLA and PETG. In the process I've also got into using Prusa slicer, as opposed to Cura which is what I was used to. I'm keeping a close eye on the Prusa XL development as I reckon that'll be where I'll head next. Meanwhile the priority is improving my 3d modelling capability.

Bambu just released an update for their slicing lab.
Reading the notes it credits Prussa and Orca for their assistance, so it seems they're working quite closely together

Yes, that squares with earlier Bambu commentary in response to questions over use of open sources and to what extent they'll reciprocate vs adopt proprietary positions. So far as their slicer is concerned, it seems it's predicated on open licenses involving Prusa and a couple of others but then overlaid with Bambu developments.

Doubtless like many I've been content with transferring g.code files via SD cards as only doing low volumes. But the Mk4 has inbuilt wifi functionality, so finally got around to setting it up along with Prusa Connect. Very impressed with the functionality; seamless design to print journey and lots of print monitoring data plus can store video feeds. I know this isn't unique to Prusa but it's nonetheless very impressive.

Doubtless like many I've been content with transferring g.code files via SD cards as only doing low volumes. But the Mk4 has inbuilt wifi functionality, so finally got around to setting it up along with Prusa Connect. Very impressed with the functionality; seamless design to print journey and lots of print monitoring data plus can store video feeds. I know this isn't unique to Prusa but it's nonetheless very impressive.
Both the Flasfhorge and Bambu have wireless connectivity, such a bonus to be able to send via wifi rather than have to mess around with saving and downloading files to sd cards

There was I recall a bit of a fuss made because Bambu uploads to somewhere (some server somewhere presumably) then down to your printer.
I believe there is a way to stop it doing that and send directly but you lose some functionality or other.. forget what :)

There was I recall a bit of a fuss made because Bambu uploads to somewhere (some server somewhere presumably) then down to your printer.
I believe there is a way to stop it doing that and send directly but you lose some functionality or other.. forget what :)
Yes, from what I've read it goes to their cloud servers (no idea if a 3rd party) and then available to you. Prusa Connect is similar but I guess is not Chinese so doesn't seem to arouse the same suspicions....or at least not that I've seen. If you buy a Prusa Mk4 (and no doubt an XL) then you get a certain amount of free storage which you can pay to expand. I get the impression Bambu Lab is currently free but must be conditional, so can likely change in a heartbeat. I guess a problem arises if your access is denied (and you've no source files locally, which shouldn't be a problem especially if slicing locally but there seems to be a trend to bundle everything into a cloud based proposition) and/or you're concerned with confidentiality. Yes, there's a very good YouTube tutorial on bypassing the Bambu Lab cloud and what functionality is lost.

In the latest update from Bambu it shows hours printed, sat at 543 hours currently.
Seeing as it's only been 1104 (ish) hours since it arrived that's a pretty decent usage percentage. 😁

Attachments

• 20240109_164451.jpg
    20240109_164451.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 7
In the latest update from Bambu it shows hours printed, sat at 543 hours currently.
Seeing as it's only been 1104 (ish) hours since it arrived that's a pretty decent usage percentage. 😁

That's a decent payback while being printer friendly compared to some of the print farms which seem to run almost 24/7! Yes loads of stats available which is very helpful, especially if you're operating commercially as can see printer efficiency and individual print material consumptions for costings.

That is pretty steep. Reckon about £5 worth of PLA tops.
I can print it - got a few colours (though I dont have any rainbow ones - Red, Orange, White, Blue, Yellow...couple more maybe)

I can print it - got a few colours (though I dont have any rainbow ones - Red, Orange, White, Blue, Yellow...couple more maybe)
That would be amazing please mate 🤩 Thank you
Have you got the print file ? What’s the widest something like that can be printed ?

That would be amazing please mate 🤩 Thank you
Have you got the print file ? What’s the widest something like that can be printed ?
my bed is around 250 mm.
forget how big it was (obviously bigger means more plastic.. but not that much more 😂)
will check and get back to you. need to know colour preference

my bed is around 250 mm.
forget how big it was (obviously bigger means more plastic.. but not that much more 😂)
will check and get back to you. need to know colour preference
Based on my Ripley edition being bluey/purpley, out of the colours you mentioned possibly blue please?

The prices people get away with charging is absolutely ridiculous online.
I understand they're trying to make a profit, and obviously you need to buy a printer, and you need to design the model (but most just nick it from someone else online anyway)- but come on!

I suppose the same can be said with pinball mods - sell for as much as you can. That's what inspired me to sell my cooling units and pinblades at the prices I charge. I simply wouldn't have the brass balls to charge $270 & over $400 for basic sets.

Not going to step on @HomerRamone 's kind offer for @Crewey but if anybody else wants me to print anything I can get it done for you., or if you have any ideas you'd want to explore.

OK, I scaled him up obviously its a little more in plastic.
Reckon about £15 for a single colour.
I can do multi colour - but its more wasteful with filament and takes longer - so be more. (and obviously I need to "paint" the colours - this can be time consuming but depends on how much painting needs done).
To do it with the alien different colour (maybe the cats eyes another colour) Id say £22.
All plus postage of course.

Rechecked my colours - Apparently I don't actually have yellow. Doh. I do have orange, white, black, "skin", blue, red, silver and translucent purple. (I have green but not a lot of it. Think i need some white too)

The do actually do a dual colour filament now - one of which is blue/magenta silk.
1711353043252.png
Course that's more expensive than regular filament and I would need to order it. (Which I'm happy to do if that's what you want - never used it so no idea how that would look).

OK, I scaled him up obviously its a little more in plastic.
Reckon about £15 for a single colour.
I can do multi colour - but its more wasteful with filament and takes longer - so be more. (and obviously I need to "paint" the colours - this can be time consuming but depends on how much painting needs done).
To do it with the alien different colour (maybe the cats eyes another colour) Id say £22.
All plus postage of course.

Rechecked my colours - Apparently I don't actually have yellow. Doh. I do have orange, white, black, "skin", blue, red, silver and translucent purple. (I have green but not a lot of it. Think i need some white too)

The do actually do a dual colour filament now - one of which is blue/magenta silk.
View attachment 247803
Course that's more expensive than regular filament and I would need to order it. (Which I'm happy to do if that's what you want - never used it so no idea how that would look).
Thanks mate, the translucent purple sounds cool. I’m more than happy with the £22 plus postage option if you want to pm me your PayPal deets 👍🏻
Nice one 😊

Not going to step on @HomerRamone 's kind offer for @Crewey but if anybody else wants me to print anything I can get it done for you., or if you have any ideas you'd want to explore.
Your lightblades printed in yellow & black as synonymous with the Power Loader in Aliens, would look pretty badass for my Ripley Edition pin ☺️

1711377335245.png1711377287952.png
Having never owned a 3D printer I am ignorant to how technically challenging that is, if I'm being as naïve to think it's simple to make the current design striped 😬

Your lightblades printed in yellow & black as synonymous with the Power Loader in Aliens, would look pretty badass for my Ripley Edition pin ☺️

View attachment 247829View attachment 247828
Having never owned a 3D printer I am ignorant to how technically challenging that is, if I'm being as naïve to think it's simple to make the current design striped 😬
There's actually very little of the original printed material visible after the magnets, LED strip and vinyl cover has been applied - but there must be some black and yellow diagonal striped tape available out there which could be applied?

This should do the job

Back
Top Bottom