What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2716 Programming woes

BallyWilliams suck

Registered
I've heard from many people that their programmer can handle these ICs. I've tested a few, and they don't seem to.

I own the Willem, Genius G540, and the GQ-4X. All fail to burn the IC's even with additional power supplies. From reading various posts, it appears the machines are advertised as coping with these ICs, but in practise, they can't handle them. I'm aware that many of the early 2716's have different pin outs, as well as different programming voltages...and after various attempts over the years, I've given up trying.

Has anyone found a good reliable programmer, and if so, what is it, and what kind of 2716 eproms are you using ?

Many thanks.

I think the major issue is that most programmers say they can handle the 2716, and then after reading up on it, it turns out they can read them, but not burn them.

A couple I have seen say they definately burn them, but reports of owners saying they can't.

There must be some old school burners out there that can handle them......?

Could double up the BIN image and burn to a 2732 ?
or maybe disable the high address pin on the 2732 to simulate a 2716?

Bob

I tried doubling up the image to a 2732. I read that the pinouts were the same and it'd work automatically. It didn't.....

I tried doubling up the image to a 2732. I read that the pinouts were the same and it'd work automatically. It didn't.....
How did you double the image ?

I have successfully double the image onto a 2732 using a Willem. There is a DOS command you run to double the image.

I used the dos command, copy \b ..... And created the 32k image. Burned it fine. Just wouldn't boot.

Managed to find a really ancient parallel port burner that did the 2716 ics no problem.
The usb ones (despite advertising they do) just won't do them, even with external power. In my experience anyway....!

I used the dos command, copy \b ..... And created the 32k image. Burned it fine. Just wouldn't boot.

Managed to find a really ancient parallel port burner that did the 2716 ics no problem.
The usb ones (despite advertising they do) just won't do them, even with external power. In my experience anyway....!
Mine is a serial port Willem with a 12v external supply. Can pretty much burn anything but it is a nightmare to set up.

Back
Top Bottom