What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 Qs - backbox 12 LED strip; line cord source

cooldan

i like pizza
Hi fellas, two questions for the illuminati -

1 i'm fed up with the fluorescent tube in a couple of games for a few reasons (obscure stuff; too bright; noisy hum from that ballast) and would like to replace with an LED strip. so ..... is this 12V? where do i buy it? any recommendations for something that doesn't glare as bad as a tube? and where is the best power source? - i'm talking about a Stern and a Sega game here so presumably the same basic architecture.

2 i have damaged line cords on a couple of games and would like to replace them. i'm not talking about the removable kettle leads but the ones you feed in and that plug into the line filter in the box inside the coin door. i presume i need to buy 3-wire , 16-gauge wire, right? is there anything special i need to ask for? what's the recommended length - 10 feet? 12? 16 feet? does this length make a difference for dropped voltage or anything like that? any preferred pinball use suppliers, or do i just go to Wickes? what are they gonna cost, a tenner or so? and can i get them with a fused plug already in place to save an extra task?

(i'm gonna buy about 3 or 4 of these, so if anyone is keen i could get a load of extras and bring to NLP by the way)

many thanks. by way of advance payment, here is a gif. even better gifs to follow in pm to whoever helps
EDITED - Behave Dan ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm currently toying with importing some replacement LED tubes - however in the 18" size that pins use they are impossible to find at a decent price here.. so will have to be imported from china. To install you cut out the balast and remove the starter, and feed 240v to the tube - Live one end, Neutral the other. Tried an experiment last night and they are REALLY good - Good diffused light output (and this was from a non-frosted clear cover version).

Will take some pics later...

I have a roll of brown gel filter for the tube but was hoping to avoid the whole thing with an LED strip.

In a nutshell, buy 12v strips, that way you can drive them with GI 6v and flasher 12v, so parts of the translite can be lit all the time while others parts can be made to flash if connected to a flasher.
You do kind of need to know what you're doing as its best wire in to the boards connectors (see photo) in the back box, so a fair bit of reading but once you've done it one its easy peasy lemon squeezy.
img_f.pinside.com_201407_1809768_266875_i.png

For a longer read / explantion;

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-make-an-led-backbox-for-30-for-modern-sterns

Where's my 'treat'???

Last edited:
My btdk lamp is knackered, could be several things according to Andy legend, whats your kit? Does it have gi and flashers combo like Williams games?
I have two for most Sterns, fixed colour or RGB with effects, Sterns do not tie into the flashers or G.I and just have a fixed tube (cost cutting no doubt)

Back
Top Bottom