What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1983 Bally GOLD BALL back from the dead...

Nedreud

Registered
Although I posted this on the shop log I'm just so excited I needed to share this in it's own right. So, here's some HD gameplay footage:

Bought as junk project I've finally completed the playfield restoration on this 1983 Bally GOLD BALL. Along with a total stripdown and rebuild of the playfield, including my idea to fit a Lexan polycarbonate protector across the entire surface, I also rebuilt the rectifier and lamp/solenoid/regulator boards, rescued the MPU from acid death, fixed a non-working sound module and used a CNC to reproduce a custom metal plate. There was loads of other bits and bobs, like... err... installing a tilt bob (!) and fixing the earth wiring (one side rail wasn't earthed at all), removing dodgy hack wiring and the nasty US power socket, fitting coin door lock, etc., the list goes on and on and on!

I'm so pleased with how the playfield has turned out, and I love the super-fast gameplay, that I'll be turning my attention to the cabinet next.

HAPPY DAYS INDEED :D

Well done, looks fantastic. The ball does indeed seem to fly around the playfield nice and faster, faster than a machine of that age has a right to! :D

It certainly does play fast! I think GOLD BALL was always a fairly fast game (others seem pretty pacey in the few YouTube videos I've seen). I think the speed compensates for the general simplicity of the game. That is, all the shots are fairly straight forward so to make it more difficult the layout lends itself to being fast. I just love it when the ball bashes back-and-forth caught in the pop bumpers! Those things are mental. I love pop bumpers!

But it's also quite "bouncy" in the lower half due to all the angled rebounds and asymmetric single active slingshot. Initially I thought that was just a cheap cop-out (and you can tell from the overall design GB is a budget pin) but it's a bit different and catches you off-guard. The ball can easily climb up, as well as down, as it bounces back and forth between the active slingshot on the right and and passive on the left.

Another simple feature I like on this game is the lane change on the right flipper button (first seen on FIREPOWER in 1980). This is commonplace now on just about every pin but not seen so often during this era. Just adds a little extra bit of skill, as does the plunger shot to hit the upper star rollover.

Looking really good - congrats. I play mine loads and haven't mastered that shot at 0:33 to spot two GOLDBALL letters!

That lane change takes a bit of getting used to that you can hold in the button and lightly tap between them - I learnt that from the good old Todd Tucker vid.

I also love these old ballys. Well done.

Now please get on with Paragon, so I can learn some more about my game.

Back
Top Bottom