What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

120v vs 240v Backbox Lights

ScoobyPrints

Registered
Alias
Scooby
Hey all, I was planning to replace my Backbox fluorescent bulb by a LED one.
Bought what I thought to be the correct one, and the new ones now comes with a “LED starter “ meaning it shouldn’t need any wire changing etc…

But once I’ve replaced it it didn’t work… tried swapping left to right poles and still nothing… then I noticed the ballast and the old bulb are 120v… which I believe to be the issue. (LED tube is rated as 240v as it is a UK lamp…)

Before I start cutting wires out, and bypass the ballast, had anyone replaced it just as a plug n play with UK bulbs?
I know how to make it work just wanted to check if anyone used 240v bulbs on these machines….

Not sure how to test if the bulb is faulty or just not compatible with my machine.

For reference I bought the Energizer led tube, and the machine is a Stern SAM (X-Men)

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
On my Metallica I followed the 120v cable and in the cabinet, under the playfield it was plugged into a connector that had a 240v (unused) connector sitting right next to it. I simply plugged the cable into that instead - I did also bypass the ballast wiring which was simple enough to do as I followed a guide I found (don’t have the link though I’m afraid)

Make sure you do not put an LED lamp off the secondary side of the transformer - it doesnt like certain ones.
I normally take a 3 core flex from the power switch box after the fuse and run it to the backbox.
I ground the panel with a lug, and put the L and N ends on the one end of the LED lamp that is needed.
Cut out the ballast etc.
Much easier.
Takes me 10 mins maximum.

Back
Top Bottom