What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zaccaria LED issue

BallyWilliams suck

Registered
Hi All

I replaced all the lamps in a Shooting the Rapids with LEDs, and its burned out two bridges. They had 20a ones installed, and I'm wondering if using the LEDs here will require something a little larger? Any thoughts on this, as I assumed the original bridge would be fine.

On one of the feeds down to the GI string, someone has soldered in 4 huge 1rK 10w resistors (joined together in parallel). Does anybody know why this would be?

Thank you !

LEDs wont burn our rectifiers
The two resistors in parallel are just so more current can pass

Two 1k resistors in parallel is 500ohm

Was it factory done?

Put your volt meter on amps in series with one side and read what load it is pulling. Sounds like something is taking too much current but unlikely to be leds

False alarm, sorry. I was tracing the wires wrong. I wondered why it was causing such an issue!

Thank you for all your help, but turned out to be a sound board fault. I had assumed it was something to do with the LEDs that i'd fitted, or perhaps a blob of solder dropped into a lamp holder - but like a c*ck, I was chasing the wrong circuit....

**update** It turns out I wasn't tracing the wrong wires after all. After checking the whole GI circuit, I tested the load with everything else disconnected - which was minimal. I was assuming a bad socket, or some weird shorted LED fault was causing the huge draw. More tracing shows the GI circuit also feeds the sound board. As there is no smoothing done on the power supply after the rectifier, I noticed the voltage is smoothed as it enters the sound board ( which was working fine). The scope showed issues with the main power cap here, which was replaced and the draw has been massively reduced, and she's now running nice and cold.

The only Zac schematics I have show this circuit powering the GI only, so perhaps this will help others in future.

Thank you to PickHolder for your time and comments.

Back
Top Bottom