What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Top 3 pins and why?

Met, AcDc, TWD & GoT

Can only narrow it down to 4.

All of them have great rulesets and the depth that I'm not going to get bored after a week, but also the layout doesn't make you feel that you've got no control.
Every single game I play on these I feel I'm in with a chance of hitting the wizard mode, despite the fact the odds would suggest otherwise.

1. Circus Voltaire
2. Tales of the Arabian Nights
3. Cactus Canyon*

That was hard enough, don't expect much reasoning! I'm a sucker for good sounds and good looking tables. Add me some ramps and I'm all good!

Monster Bash and Ghostbusters were also considered. They would round out my Fav Five.

* I've never played a real one but its the most exciting thing in Pinball Arcade.

Cool to see Diner get a shout! I seem to play that for ages at Arcade Club, and not just because it's next to TAF!

Far, far, far too many modern machines on this thread, but thanks to @steve brum, @roadshow16 and @ronsplooter for mentioning at least one oldie ;)

I'm relatively new to pinball (4 years now) but have a thing for old retro cr@p from the 70s and 80s:

1. Bally PARAGON
My first pin so I'm totally biased but... it is quite possibly the most beautiful pin ever made. It's certainly in a fight to the death with FATHOM for that title. It's also one the the five Bally "SUPER WIDEBODY" pins - 6" wider than normal. Acres of playfield with four flippers. For a single-ball, single-level game it's a tough game to master. If Bowen Kerins describes it as "brutally difficult" you know it's hard.

1755F2.jpg

2. Gottlieb BLACK HOLE
My grail pin and another 4-flipper widebody. What's not to like? It's got a rip-off sci-fi theme oozing with cool, reversed sub-level playfield and kooky Gottlieb gameplay. Bonus points for having the non-export rotating backglass.

307f1.jpg

3. Gottlieb PINK PANTHER
Oh, my! Another multi-flipper widebody! Quite rare this one but I love playing it down at SPECIAL WHEN LIT. The ball just glides gracefully around this beautiful game lulling you into a false sense of security. Certain features of the backglass are enchanting! Great theme with interesting features like the multiball diamonds challenge and hidden ball captures.

1800f2.jpg

Ok, ok, ok! I guess I'm thinking of the golden solid-state era as "old" and then "modern" is the 90s rebirth-era of DMDs, ramps, modes, i.e., full computerisation. Probably a bit simplistic and there's the whole EM era that even older and probably stuffed full of landmark classics of which I know nothing ;)

Looking back over the previous posts there are quite a few METs and TWDs, GOT, AC/DC, etc. It was extremely close that I almost included TRON myself because I love playing that game and the theme is killer, but it just doesn't quite have that... undefinable something. Also, notice that although I'm a total Bally whore 2 of my 3 choices are Gottliebs!

POTO. Dead simple gameplay. Great artwork and soundtrack. My very first NIB pin. Love it.
BSD. Love mine. It kicks my ar$e everytime, until you get that ONE good game :)

I'm still noob enough to have only played a fraction of most people here but I think my 3 would be...

1 TAF - I love the show, the theming, call outs and depth. Lovely translite, play field art. SHOWTIME!!

2 Metallica - I wasn't even a fan of the band until I played & watched numerous pin videos, now I'm converted! Loads to do, great music and sound. Cool playfield toys!

3 Elvira SS - Great Greg Ferres artwork everywhere, risque humour, lots to do, funky spider on the backglass, Boogie-Men, cool music too.

I don't own any of the above but the next pin will be one of those.

Fathom honourable mention for being a beautifully colour schemed, stencilled, mega backglass artwork.
Cyclone for playfield art, call outs and general amusement park atmosphere.

Far, far, far too many modern machines on this thread, but thanks to @steve brum, @roadshow16 and @ronsplooter for mentioning at least one oldie ;)
Ey come on, I mentioned Jack In The Box too! And I already paid a mental apology to Black Hole and Paragon for narrowly not making any of my posted categories.... wonderful games.

It is hard to answer this unless you really understand the rulesets. This means that you need to have owned them or played them extensively.

For me

TAF. It is just the complete game. Art. Theme. Sounds. Callouts. Gameplay. Reliability. It is still a top earner in commercial environments over 25 years after launch. It is no coincidence that it is the best selling game of all time

Banzai Run. Stupid. Heavy. Nightmare of complexity. Potential to destroy important stuff when you take it apart. Two playfields. Horrible to work on. Unobtanium parts. But what a game. Plus that sound.

Paragon. Huge wide body. No speech. No music. Basic one ball stuff. But superbly executed with spectacular artwork. Pops, slings and flippers are all so reactive. The best flippers I have played, a proper player would have so much control. Pure Pinball. Most folk like fathom and Centaur from this era, but they are just cacophonies of meaningless multiballs. Paragon is the real deal.

Stuff like MM, MB, ACDC might be better. I enjoy them all. But I do not know them as well.

AC/DC best game play IE risk reward .great soundtrack and wizard mode.

TSPP it's a Simpson I'm a Simpson
Not many people have their name on a pin. Deep rule set and a reverse flipper mode.

Judge Dredd. 2 games in one super game is great for practising multi ball. Dark humour and fantastic dots.

AC/DC best game play IE risk reward .great soundtrack and wizard mode.

TSPP it's a Simpson I'm a Simpson
Not many people have their name on a pin. Deep rule set and a reverse flipper mode.

Judge Dredd. 2 games in one super game is great for practising multi ball. Dark humour and fantastic dots.

Whirlwind - Lawlor magic, probably my favorite pin.
Spider-Man - The pin that saved Stern? Great flow/layout, rules & sound.
Metallica/TWD - Close call but a Borg tie for third.

1. Medieval Madness. Great original theme, great toys, and fun no matter your skill level. Absolutely love it.

2. Tron LE. The integration of the fibre optic ramp lights is mesmerizing. Love the gameplay too, but the light show on the LE is what elevates this one for me.

3. Cirqus Voltaire. It's just so different. Love the placement of the DMD. Not sure what it is about it, but keeps drawing me back.

Close behind would be AFM (find it too similar to MM to include), WH2O, and TWD.

Tough task as so many great pins through all the different eras.

Sticking to SS, as would do separate for EM.

1. AFM. Perfectly balanced ruleset that players of all abilities can enjoy.

2. Fish Tales. It's a game that is pure pinball, fun, fun, fun. And the way the jackpots are set up, leading to super jackpot, is genius.

3. So many could take this spot but for now will say Aerosmith as it has a great toy, and plenty of different ways to build scores and the LCD screen is perfect for the game.

I hereby officially retract all my negative statements about TAF. It is a painfully unforgiving game, and the sound quality is definitely showing its age, but yeah...its an amazing game (maybe the best ever) when you're on a roll.

I find the clear bias towards DMD games interesting, the entire thread has very few mentions of solid state games in total.

I remember when I first got into pinball how I was only interested in plating DMD games, thankfully James Greenhalgh (system11.org) steered me into getting some great solid state games early on in my pinball collecting and I ended up with a more balanced view of pinball through the ages.

In terms of a top 3, I don't even think I could.....

Every game that I own, has a different reason why I like it, some quirk or another that makes it interesting, it's impossible to quantify which reason is a better reason than another

If it's which games have I played the most credits on in the last year then

1) Taxi
2) Galaxy
3) Eight ball deluxe

Back
Top Bottom