What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yet another newbie from the North East

SilverBall

Registered
Hi all

I'm yet another new member from the north east, coming from Peterlee :)

My wife and I (She's a regular lurker here and has registered an account somewhere) have decided that humming and hahing over getting a pinball machine for the past 5 years probably means it isn't just an impulse-buy anymore so we've bought our first machine (off a poster here that she found). She's going to be the one to take responsibility for any minor maintenance that needs done to it, I'll just stare into it thoughtfully like an engine and pretend I know what she's doing.

Seeing so many North East people here I've probably walked past half of you at NERG where we've been every day that it's been on so far, and we're heading to the play expo in manchester in october too :)

Stern Pirates of the Caribbean. Took a few trips to HMV in Newcastle to have a hands-on with it so we weren't going in cold (She's very good at finding machines in the wild to try out before we commit)

Welcome. I thought I was North East, but you're more North East. There are a few of you up in that neck of the woods.

I'm in between both of you, near Saltburn. 9 games set up atm from Slick Chick to rfm, about another 30 hiding in the wings/undergoing resto.....welcome to call in if you're around.......full list on pinball owners! Graham

Welcome aboard, friend. Pirates is one of my favourites and I'm currently writing a rulesheet for it as there isn't a concise one anywhere that I've found. I've been playing mine daily for the last few weeks, it's always one or both of the two lights in the East that elude me

Btw if it's not too cheeky to ask, what did you pay for it? Mine was 2500 about 3 years ago if memory serves (I'm not by my excel file just now)

Welcome to the forum! I wasn't considering my 1st purchase for 5 years.. I thought I was patient!
A few months of "Mmmm, that looks nice... " and "Why the hell not?" and I bit the bullet!

That was October/November last year? I now have 7. Running or not, I loves 'em all!

Hi all! nice to see the NERG logo here @Big Phil !

@Graham Lowe that sounds awesome, is that your home or a shop? (Just out of curiosity). We've had to get rid of a sofa to create a designated area in the games room. Unfortunately >100 board games, 4 book cases and 20-30 retro consoles show that my wife and I are enthusiastic but the space is heavily contended by the different hobbies so I reckon at the very max if we went insane we could fit 3 machines in the area the sofa cleared, but we'd have to make sure the board game table could still be set up and seat everyone all the way around.. but there is always the temptation of a new and bigger shed once the crumbling wreck that was there when we moved in finally gets cleared ;)

@cooldan we paid 3300, but my wife was tentatively looking at ghostbusters, batman 66 or the new star wars coming out, so it's well within the budget we gave ourselves which is a huge plus :D

Welcome to the forum! I wasn't considering my 1st purchase for 5 years.. I thought I was patient!
A few months of "Mmmm, that looks nice... " and "Why the hell not?" and I bit the bullet!

That was October/November last year? I now have 7. Running or not, I loves 'em all!

Yeah we both thought it'd be something that we calmed down about and never really did so this year we just decided to do it. No idea how we lasted so long; since we ordered this one my wife has been talking about it every day and we've been to play the one in newcastle to tide her over ha

@SilverBall not a shop, just the usual ' I fancy buying a pinball machine' about 20 years ago, everyone on here knows how that eventually pans out! Can't resist 'em, and enjoy restoring them about as much as playing. Also we knocked two bedrooms into one when the kids finally vacated & turned it into a 50s based diner style gamesroom, complete with '58 Seeburg juke, bought fully restored. My first summer job from school was giving out chamge in an arcade in Redcar - £1 a day, 7 days a week. Thought I was rich. Figured since I was always in them may as well get paid instead of feeding machines! Downhill from there!

that all sounds awesome, I used to live in Middlesbrough, that what've made it so much handier but sure I reckon we'd be up for that sometime cheers! :D

Cool. Machines currently set up are Slick Chick, (restored by me), Magic City (also restored by me but was first one I ever did so loads of room for improvement) and am currently doing a second one to much higher standard; Fathom (put new playfield in this one a few years back); Space Invaders (used to belong to @myPinballs Jim); EATPM; Wms IJ; Getaway HS2 and Centaur, with RFM in dining room. Currently restoring the 2nd MC, Gottlieb Road Race & Gottlieb Around the World, a '59 woodrail. Keeps me busy!

I'm close-by you may be frightened to know. I'm searching for my first pin & I'm hugely interested in learning the electronics side of things when I eventually buy my first (probably of many). It's heartening to know other people in the north are bringing pins and hopefully pins-community to the region. Sorry, I get carried away sometimes.

Ha wow, 35-40 :eek: nice to see you both! It's good to know there are others nearby, none of my mates really get our interest in it at all..

Back
Top Bottom