What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

XPin vs Rottendog

strobey

Site Supporter
Alias
Tim
Need a replacement Dataeast PPB board... which is regarded best repro manufacturer? Are there any others?

Cheers

No experience of Xpin....but my GnR pin came with an already installed Rottendog board and have had no problems with it at all.

Xpin looks to be better: Complete redesign to prevent coil shorts causing board carnage (smoke, fire, carbon....) Good technical paper on their website...
http://xpinpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Tech-Brief.pdf

Rottendog just look like an exact replica, albeit with a couple of extra fuses, but potentially the same shortcomings as the original design. Certainly nothing on their website claiming otherwise.

XPin it is..

I have some thoughts on these.

I have a couple of Rotten Dog boards and you can tell they are made to a price. My Alphanumeric display on Torpedo Alley has been fixed 3 times since I have owned it!

From an engineering and quality standpoint, xpin are clearly far superior, and you would expect them to last longer than Rottendog.

However, I am personally against the use of surface mount components on pinball boards unless necessary, as combined with lead free solder, they are less than idea, and make it more difficult to repair them in the future, particularly for the hobbiest. If you are not the sort of person that wants to repair your own stuff, then you probably don't have to care.

XPin are a quality product, I am biased a little being their distributor but I spent a five figure sum to be their distributor as I was sick of the "others" constant failings...

TBH next time I want a board I am going to go with xpin, I have had a few problems with Rotterndog boards (particularly with a system 11B and I'm still not happy with it) but with the added bonus that Phil will back the Xpin up its a no brainer!

Rottendog is complete crap and a laśt resort option in my humble opinion. Better than a missing board though

My tz came with rottendog flipper board which failed within 6 months. It also had a rottendog solenoid board which gave five volt issues

These boards are so crap that the company's own website acknowledges this

http://rottendog.us/WDB089.html

"NEW With version 4 of this board, you will never get +5V resets! "

So what about the mugs with earlier versions ?

I have replaced these rottendog boards with repaired original boards - far, far better

Back
Top Bottom