What's new

WPC95 will not boot

russdx1

Site Supporter
Alias
russdx
The board is in my NBAFB and was working perfectly but i noticed the battery was leaking!!! So took the cpu board out and removed the battery holder and noticed some minor corrosion but looked ok so cleaned up with some Isopropyl alcohol and tooth brush then added a remote battery holder (board was was then just sat on work bench for 3 weeks)

Put it back in the game today (with no batteries install) and the game wont boot

power / blanking led solid lit and the diag led was dimly slowly flashing like every 2sec (audio board would not boot either, ie no dong or its diag led flash)

I have re-seated all chips and cables etc.. and tried adding batteries to the remote battery holder but same issue as above.

5 min after playing with this now the diag led does nothing just stays off but the audio board will now boot (get the dong, and its led flashes) I have noticed the 6809 chip now gets quite warm (not sure if it should?) I have removed it and the holder looks pretty corroded so not sure if this is the issue?

a9667468-045b-46dc-877c-4758ddcbf1e7.jpgb90eb34c-d4c2-4b12-b798-20f712b827fb.jpg

So it was working perfectly but me disturbing it by removing old battery holder and adding the remote one and cleaning it up a bit has some how killed it DOH, Is it worth playing with and try and track down the issue as the corrosion does not seam that bad and it was working!!!! Or just bin it and buy a new one?

Maybe start with replacing that cpu socket as does look rather fecked.

The board is in my NBAFB and was working perfectly but i noticed the battery was leaking!!! So took the cpu board out and removed the battery holder and noticed some minor corrosion but looked ok so cleaned up with some Isopropyl alcohol and tooth brush then added a remote battery holder (board was was then just sat on work bench for 3 weeks)

Put it back in the game today (with no batteries install) and the game wont boot

power / blanking led solid lit and the diag led was dimly slowly flashing like every 2sec (audio board would not boot either, ie no dong or its diag led flash)

I have re-seated all chips and cables etc.. and tried adding batteries to the remote battery holder but same issue as above.

5 min after playing with this now the diag led does nothing just stays off but the audio board will now boot (get the dong, and its led flashes) I have noticed the 6809 chip now gets quite warm (not sure if it should?) I have removed it and the holder looks pretty corroded so not sure if this is the issue?

View attachment 157527View attachment 157528

So it was working perfectly but me disturbing it by removing old battery holder and adding the remote one and cleaning it up a bit has some how killed it DOH, Is it worth playing with and try and track down the issue as the corrosion does not seam that bad and it was working!!!! Or just bin it and buy a new one?

Maybe start with replacing that cpu socket as does look rather fecked.
If it was me i would remove the socket, use a water vinegar mix to get rid of the alkali then flush off with water use isopropyl alcohol to finish clean and solder a new connector. I have done the same on a a couple of boards in a worse condition and they are still going a couple of years on.

Yeah good shout, i'll take it back out and remove that socket and replace it, see whats lurking under it. Whats the best way to bench test these wpc95 boards? just J210 5/12v? and if all good you shout see the blank turn off and the diag led flash (ie no other boards need to be connected for it to boot)

actually the machine has the kahr reset fix board which creates the 5v from the 12v so if i just power this with a 12v psu (got a few lying around) it will create the 5v for me as well, so can use this to bench test :)

Last edited:
Yeah good shout, i'll take it back out and remove that socket and replace it, see whats lurking under it. Whats the best way to bench test these wpc95 boards? just J210 5/12v? and if all good you shout see the blank turn off and the diag led flash (ie no other boards need to be connected for it to boot)
I tend to pop it back in to test as the leakage can affect other stuff apart from the cpu element, i had the same on my afm and the leds were fine but the machine would tilt and reset intermittently.

Removed the socket and all looks ok under there, even tested a few traces and all check out, will buy a new socket hopefully fixes the issue. Hopefully the cpu is not damaged as did feel a little hot!

NBAFB lives again!!

Was a bad CPU socket, replaced it and it booted straight up :)

CC672FD3-FAB0-45D2-A367-B1D87EA78B30.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom