What's new

WPC Speaker Hum What Causes It?

Because i became fed up with my old B/W pins always having problems.
Can't beat new and shiny. I don't mind waiting 20 years before my caps start drying up :)

Cant beat new and Shiney with crappy flippers and dodgy Graphics... ;)

The supply voltages for the amplifiers are generated onboard the sound board. So checking the capacitors is the same as checking the power supply.
Ah, yes, I see it now. I had assumed that as my PSU generated at least five voltages one them would be used for the audio amps but in the Bally AS-2518-50 Sound Module a 12V supply is derived from the 43V coil voltage:

image.jpg

In this instance C17 would be the culprit?

Different scenario. Your c17 is tidying up the already smoothed 43v. It's used for coils so probably quite uneven. On wpc sound boards, the supply is wholly AC , and rectification and smoothing is carried out on the sound board.

Because i became fed up with my old B/W pins always having problems.
Can't beat new and shiny. I don't mind waiting 20 years before my caps start drying up :)

The lead free surface mount components will fall off the cpu board years before the caps dry up :rofl:

That's assuming Stern use decent caps? 20 years ago, most cap manufacturers were at least half decent. In the year 2014, there must be at least 100 dodgy Chinese capacitor brands ;)

Some new Stern pinball don't even PLAY when coming out of the box !!
They only work after fix or update.
Hope they still work after 10 years (Half the age of b/w).

but they look nice, just like me......20 years ago :)

Some new Stern pinball don't even PLAY when coming out of the box !!
They only work after fix or update.
Hope they still work after 10 years (Half the age of b/w).

but they look nice, just like me......20 years ago :)
What ? You still look nice.
I don't believe that. :p

Back
Top Bottom