What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wire ramps - gold or zinc plated (with cadmium yellow passivate)?

edsr

Registered
Trying to determine the original plating used on my Baywatch ramps.

I have seen conflicting views.

Does anyone know for certain? Keen to replace like-for-like.

Some people saying they think it’s gold plated. Others saying it’s zinc plated and then dipped in a cadmium yellow passivate (like many of the metal under-playfield parts such as flipper assemblies and target brackets etc

Anyone know?

I don’t think it’s cadmium as you’d probably get those iridescent blue/yellow hues with a cadmium?

Some pics of the very best bits that remain:

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20171209_86fb8fa04b2bf8591a488c4f96951be2.jpguploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20171209_30b3e771e0a1105bf7a0c92016f219de.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OK so I have a definitive answer. They were originally flash plated with brass but never had a clear coat and that’s why they corroded.

I emailed Chris Royalty over at http://www.pinballplating.com - you send them yours and they dispatch a pre-coated set back for $285

Theirs are brass plated with a clearcoat for extra protection.

http://www.pinballplating.com/quick-exchange-parts/sega-baywatch-wireform-set

I also found a company called Ashford Chroming who will do them in gold for £350 inc postage both ways.

I've had a few habitrails refurbished over the years. Most recent was a TOTAN one which I think was about £70. It had gone from a gold colour to a very dull silver. The one that was done in about 2008 on a MSF cost approx £40 and even now still looks brand new! If I get time I'll dig out some pics.

I've had a few habitrails refurbished over the years. Most recent was a TOTAN one which I think was about £70. It had gone from a gold colour to a very dull silver. The one that was done in about 2008 on a MSF cost approx £40 and even now still looks brand new! If I get time I'll dig out some pics.
Hello I would like to ask do you still have the totan habitrail (wireform) in any condition,I have a Totan and I want to bring it back to life .

Sorry, but it was restored for going back onto the game and isn't for sale.

Best of luck in your search though.

zink plating is cheep as chips normally i pay around £20 for a full machine either blue or yellow
chrome or gold plating is around £50 a wire form

May i ask which company you use for your plating?

Back
Top Bottom