What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wine and Beer - Dirt Cheap

DRD

Registered
This lot cost me £5.95 and was delivered within 24 hours.

20220331_171534.jpg

I am also getting 8x craft beers for a further 6 quid.

Screenshot_20220331-172047_Outlook.jpg

It is a monthly subscription company. BUT you can cancel before they take the first full subscription payment of 30 quid or so.

The special offer for the wine is being promoted on the following podcast. When you order the wine you are then offered the beer deal.

The first minute of the podcast is the advert.

If you aren't interested in the Real Dictators podcast, you can just type in .....

www.wine52.com/dictators

Attachments

• 1648743805192.png
    1648743805192.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 2
I tried these guys for beer. Many of the beers were foul.

But the killer for me was they don't let you unsubscribe from the web site. To unsubscribe I had to call a phone number which was unanswered for hours. Eventually I got through but I think that was sneaky to make it easy to do everything online except cancel, so I wouldn't touch these guys again with a bargepole.

But the killer for me was they don't let you unsubscribe from the web site. To unsubscribe I had to call a phone number which was unanswered for hours. Eventually I got through but I think that was sneaky to make it easy to do everything online except cancel, so I wouldn't touch these guys again with a bargepole.
Plus one. Then the chatty Cathy on the phone tried every known trick and price lowering to get me to stay, ended up saying I'd gone t total for medical reasons to get out of it. Avoid, or don't......but do.

If took me 12 months on and off trying to cancel my subscription.
Found I wasn’t enjoying a lot of the beers. Easy to sign up but hard to leave. Can only do it by phone and they will keep throwing stuff to get you to stay.

I also have worn out tyres and asbestos to sell !!!!

Can't you just tell your credit card to kill the subs ?

Hello credit card employee. You have 2 choices.

1. Either end this subscription which I cannot cancel directly as they don't answer the phone (assuming this happens); or

2. Cancel my credit card right now as you have answered the phone and it is the only way to stop me being ripped off

I also have worn out tyres and asbestos to sell !!!!

Can't you just tell your credit card to kill the subs ?

Hello credit card employee. You have 2 choices.

1. Either end this subscription which I cannot cancel directly as they don't answer the phone (assuming this happens); or

2. Cancel my credit card right now as you have answered the phone and it is the only way to stop me being ripped off
But then you're in breach of contract and this will be closely followed by debt collection agency letters.

Last edited:
Martin Lewis's website every few months on his regular email has a special Beer 52 offer - usually £26 for 24 assorted beers, delivered - and theyre quick - often 1-2 days. The offers are limited, but we've managed to get the last 2. Well worth it - some of the beers not my thing - stouts and chocolate stuff, but the rest have been pretty good. The big benefit is absolutely no subscription.

Ive had Beer52 for a few years now. I only recently changed it so it's only light beers none of the dark stuff as I realised I didn't really like it.

Well worth it - some of the beers not my thing - stouts and chocolate stuff, but the rest have been pretty good. The big benefit is absolutely no subscription.
Are we missing a trick here, I love the stouts and chocolate stuff. Sell them on to me. 😉

I cancelled both the beer and the wine subscriptions shortly after 9am this morning.

The call took less than 4 minutes start to finish. So no crazy call holding scenario.

It was clear that the handler was trying to steer me towards cancelling just one, then reducing price.... but armed by the warnings on this thread, I closed the discussion down immediately. Promptly received an email confirming the cancellation.

The subs look grossly overpriced for what I received. This firm will doubtless have a very high early attrition rate. But paying about a tenna for 3x wine and 8x beer, investing maybe 10 minutes of my time ..... it seems to have worked out ok.

Yeah, I had a gifted Beer52 sub - 3 months, I quite enjoyed it for the time but was never going to continue it.
Had some nice beers particularly the York brewery ones, they were really nice.

But they called me 5 times in the 3 months under the guise of 'checking in' but in reality trying to upsell, 'we'll give you and extra 3 beers free this month' (not saying that this was actually a subscription change which would be ongoing and more expensive)
Cancelling was fine, but irritating to have to essentially justify yourself to someone to get something cancelled when you just don't want it anymore

It's a shame as without the upselling and no online cancellation I'd probably have no issue recommending them to someone who did want a subscription for this sort of thing.

These guys are a tiny operation and are really local to me and do a similar kind of thing - boxes of interesting beers
No subscription, just buy as you want

It was @Calimori's comment about the chocolate stuff that reminded me as I got their box of those for Christmas, and they're not really my thing, but I've been working my way through them.

Standard business model these days make it super fast and easy to subscribe and take payment ie one click payments etc.. But to unsubscribe (even though it could be just as easy as subscribing as in technically) They hide it all away and force you to phone up etc... Just so they can try and keep you. Businesses are meant to be about giving you value for your money what ever they do but these days they just appear to want to have the money weather they give value or not and try anything to grab it / keep hold of it. Not about value for money any more but more we need to pay our bills and make profit so we just need money!!!! So much money gets wasted in our economy due to all these types of useless businesses.

Well, as predicted by others there were problems with these guys.

Despite cancelling both the beer and wine subscriptions ......... I got an email to say that another box of wine was on the way that day.

Customer services did answer the phone promptly. They had only cancelled one of my two subscriptions and had taken the money for the wine. Was not a long phone call. Told me how al calls were recorded and that they had to go over my cancellation call .......

Received an email that afternoon .... credit card had been refunded and I could keep the extra three bottles of wine erroneously sent that were in transit.

What an awful business model. But net result is a bit of online form filling to "join". 2 short calls to deal with quitting. 6 bottles of wine (nowt special so far). 8 craft beers (all very nice). Cost me £12 in total

yup they were on watchdog, all these booze subscription goons are all playing that game.

I was with Beer 52 for years. They were good at first but slowly the beers got worse so i cancelled.

With these subscription models i find using a throw away Revolut card very handy.

Back
Top Bottom