What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windscreen Demisting Tip

DRD

Registered
As my cars are 10, 20 and 25 yrs old I have been round the houses with failing aircon, re-gassing, replacing corroded condenser units, failing stepper motors, adjusting worn electromagnetic clutches etc etc

Most people only think about re-gassing the aircon in Summer, but it is equally important in winter. Indeed you should run the aircon in winter anyway so the various seals do not dry out.

If you run an older car/ one low on aircon gas/ one with a tired AC system .... it makes a huge difference if the inside of the windscreen is really, really clean.

The key is to remove all grease as this somehow makes demisting more of a challenge. I use a regular window cleaner then finish off with IPA and plenty of blue paper towels

I’ve heard people use cat litter in the car to keep moisture levels down which helps, you can probably buy moisture packs that work better.
I gave up with with older vehicles a/c units, impossible to find some leaks.
But yes great for clearing moisture from inside your car, it’s good to heat up your interior nice and toasty to dry it out now and again if you have no a/c.
Humidity outside here is high 90’s at the moment!

The cat litter strategy ... it does help.

The game changer though is not letting your cat p*ss in the car in the first place.

Just had to clean my daughters with good old windowlene and newspaper- disposable, absorbent and as many fresh pieces as you need for each window, as she’d been using glass wipes and it was taking 5 minutes to demist and remisting whilst driving. To quote “ it’s always been like this” , despite it being the sons car before , and always insured for me, and never having this problem . No problems now after a good clean, think the wipes have lanolin or something in which makes it worse- in bin now.

Reactions: DRD
Back
Top Bottom