What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Williams Flash powers on to 0486 2 (player 1 score) and 04 00 (games&ball)

Bamaro

Registered
I was having some other issues but I decided to replace the 3 AA batteries on the MPU (system 6) on my Flash game. The old batteries were still good but did this as a preventative measure since they were 3 years old. Played machine for awhile after replacing batteries and shut off. Couple of days later when I turned machine on, the player #1 display shows 0486 00 and the games/ball in display shows 04 00. I removed the batteries and tested them and they are OK. Cleaned the terminals and put the batteries in (all 3 + down) but same problem. Does anybody know what these diagnostic mode codes mean?

It is the game number, that shows when the batteries are dead. Either you have a bad battery holder, maybe the contacts have broken away. Or it can be a problem with the 5101 RAM chip. If you momentarily flick the power off and immediately back on, if the game goes into gameplay then the battery pack is bad, or is it continues to return to display these numbers, after multiple flicking, then the 5101 is likely bad.

From the manual this seems to be related to bad batteries and it showed up the first time I turned the machine on after putting in new batteries. It was OK before changing batteries. I checked the batteries with a miltimeter and cleaned the battery holder contacts but no help.

Is it easy to test the 5101 RAM chip and is this the one that can now be replaced with a newer chip that doesn't need batteries?

Have you measured whether the battery voltage is getting to the 5101?

The 5101 is not easy to test. You must unsolder the old one and put a new one in.

Back
Top Bottom