What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Williams DCS sound issue

Drew.m

Site Supporter
Alias
Drew
Hopefully someone may be able to point me in the right direction. The Roadshow i am restoring had a sound interface error and Bonged twice which indicates U2 which i reprogrammed and the error has now disappeared and only Bongs once however i have no sound whatsoever (except the bongs) any help would be greatly appreciated

Drew

Unplug the ribbons that go to your dmd board and flipper board
Had weird things on the dataline mess up the sound board

So leave in cpu to soundboard only

Then turn machine on

Okay - have you checked ribbon cables are on correctly?

It could be a data issue.

Do you have a set of cables you can swap over from another game?
It’s a weird one I thought I had cracked it when I burnt the new eprom and the error message disappeared

1. Is there any humming at all??
2. Once it has "bonged", turn the sound right the way up and start a game.... can you hear anything (even faintly)?? (Dont forget to turn it right the way down again afterwards - just in case!)....

2. Once it has "bonged", turn the sound right the way up and start a game.... can you hear anything (even faintly)?? (Dont forget to turn it right the way down again afterwards - just in case!)....
One thing I haven’t mentioned I swapped the speakers as the originals weee mouldy for new ones 4ohm Panasonic’s speakers

One thing I haven’t mentioned I swapped the speakers as the originals weee mouldy for new ones 4ohm Panasonic’s speakers
Important info, however didnt answer the Question though.... :)

Important info, however didnt answer the Question though.... :)
Sorry no humming and have now turned the speakers up to full plus swapped the speaker panel with a bsd and the same. Presumably the output stage is functioning as it bongs ?

Possibly Caps at C32 and C41 (blue ones) going from the above.

Worthwhile remembering that Elec. Caps only have a "lifespan" of a few years "working life" so to speak (Lots of manufacturers state working time in hours - a lot of the time 2-3000 hours). This doesnt include time and it's effects...
Generally Electrolytic caps last 5 years upwards.... however some like Tants and ceramics can last for 20 years..... however those tantulums are starting to fail now (had one "explode", complete with fireworks, the other day on me... now thats an experience - imagine a sparkler on a circuit board!), and currently arent that easy to get hold of!

Are there any signs of bulging or leaking at all on those?? Could you possibly take a pic??

Take out u3 and turn on does it bong 3 times or still just one ? Proves the system is actually running if the bong is 3 and u2 should be ok

Does it report interface error in the test menu or nothing

Send to me and I can diagnose , test here separately to rule out any of your other pcbs. And of course fix whatever is wrong if required

Take out u3 and turn on does it bong 3 times or still just one ? Proves the system is actually running if the bong is 3 and u2 should be ok

Send to me and I can diagnose , test here separately to rule out any of your other pcbs. And of course fix whatever is wrong if required
Thanks Jim, I did get the error sound interface board fault and had 2 bongs so I burnt another eprom (the one closest to the bottom of the pcb ) and now the error message has disappeared and I get 1 bong

Drew

Hi Jim, yes 3 bongs when u3 is removed

I am a bit suspicious of the cpu board as I also have zero flasher activity. The flashers do work when I briefly ground the transistor tab on the aux pcb

Hi Jim, yes 3 bongs when u3 is removed
ok cool, a worthwhile check just to confirm your u2 is good. 1 bong is not 100% guarantee the os is running and working correctly. Worth remembering this. This test/check is much more reliable.

So what do you get from the sound test? nothing? Also what game is this?

Try with a new/different ribbon cable then next to do really is put it in another dcs game and test to remove the other boards from the equation or send to someone who can do this for you if you haven't a compatible other game

ok cool, a worthwhile check just to confirm your u2 is good. 1 bong is not 100% guarantee the os is running and working correctly. Worth remembering this. This test/check is much more reliable.

So what do you get from the sound test? nothing? Also what game is this?

Try with a new/different ribbon cable then next to do really is put it in another dcs game and test to remove the other boards from the equation or send to someone who can do this for you if you haven't a compatible other game
Hi Jim, thanks for the help the u2 is a newly burnt one, the self test is silent I have tried a new ribbon cable so think it’s time to send to an expert will dm

Back
Top Bottom