What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Williams Adjustment Advance and Ad-Up Buttons do not exit into Game Over mode.

Pinball_User

Registered
I have 3 Williams and normally after holding down the adjust button it cycles through all 70 adjustments and enters game over mode to save your settings that were just adjusted. However one of the Williams pins (Banzai Run) never allows you to leave the settings menu to save the adjust ends. Therefore no settings get saved and the pin remains on constant factory restore. Any idea how I can get the adjustments to save? FYI all was saved just fine until I removed my batteries as I try to replace them every two years or so to avoid acid leaks on the circuit boards.

You most likely have a battery connection issue. You don’t need to exit the tests for them to save. Each is saved immediately. The fact that you get factory restore means your batteries are not doing their job.

You most likely have a battery connection issue. You don’t need to exit the tests for them to save. Each is saved immediately. The fact that you get factory restore means your batteries are not doing their job.
So if I shut the switch on the bottom of the Pinball while I am in the middle of Adjustment 23 for Free Play, then I do not need to cycle to the end of Adjustment 70 before they save? The user manual suggests otherwise. Swapping up and down the Ad-Up button also does not let me reverse the test order. I can increment from test 1 to test 23, but if I skip test 23, I am unable to use manual down to decrement back to 23. I have to go through all AU and all AD numbers back around to 23.

I worked on the machine a little last night. I think I have determined that it is a two part issue. The left battery in the 3 battery pack terminal has a loose connection so if I clamp that left battery top and bottom the settings get saved. So the pin so far in the corner it would be difficult to solder in place and that massive board has 100 wired connections so if I attempted to remove the board to solder in the workshop on a bench with more light, then I'd likely break something else on the board or wired. So rubber bands to the rescue it was.

The 2nd issue is the advance button and/or the auto-up/manual-down button. The advance button only moves in one decrementing order. If you engage the manual-down button, the advance button is supposed to increment and it does not. Furthermore, after setting free-play on my other 2 Williams pins it allows you to exit to the Game Over mode and begin playing pinball regardless if batteries are holding charge or not. On the Banzai Run, you can never exit the adjustment mode so batteries ARE required and you cannot play pinball for free until you power off under the game via the switch. So that is the 2nd issue basically why does the advance button only decrement and not increment, and why can I never leave adjustment mode without physically powering off the game?

Thanks.

I’m confused. Your original post said you could only advance upwards 1 through 23 etc but if you missed you couldn’t go back down.
Your last post says that you can only decrement, in which case you won’t be able to exit adjustment mode because you can only do that going up.
I suggest you take a look at your button wiring and ensure they are doing what they are supposed to do. If the internal contacts of the matching switch are no good you can short the wires externally with a crocodile clip or similar to see if the wiring To the cpu is good.

I’m confused. Your original post said you could only advance upwards 1 through 23 etc but if you missed you couldn’t go back down.
Your last post says that you can only decrement, in which case you won’t be able to exit adjustment mode because you can only do that going up.
I suggest you take a look at your button wiring and ensure they are doing what they are supposed to do. If the internal contacts of the matching switch are no good you can short the wires externally with a crocodile clip or similar to see if the wiring To the cpu is good.
Sorry about the confusion on increment and decrement. That was my mistake. The post from today is more accurate than the original.

If the wiring was backwards it wouldn't have ever worked correctly in the first place. I recall that it formerly did successfully increment and decrement both successfully. The pin has been sitting unadjusted for 2 years until this week when I went to put in fresh batteries.

ok, so that explains why you cant exit the adjustments. so all you need to do now is fix the non working latching switch.

If the internal contacts of the matching switch are no good you can short the wires externally with a crocodile clip or similar to see if the wiring To the cpu is good.

if that works then replace the switch. If theres no difference when the wires are joined, then either the wires are not connected for some reason to the cpu, or the connector onto the cpu is bad, or the cpu is faulty.

Most likely the 40 year old switch is bad. -

Back
Top Bottom