What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whitewater CPU help

Spandangler

Site Supporter
hi gang

Coincidence or not?? Who knows

I had a flakey switch (disaster drop main) so I removed the mountains and insanity fall ramp, and changed the switch (it was genuinely fooked)
All working again in switch test.
So I reassemble everything and turn on again. No gi under slings. Everywhere else was fine. Now I did have a circuit breaker installed as I have an intermittent short somewhere so I've had the breaker in for months as I couldn't trace or replicate the short.

So I look in back box to find a croc clip off the breaker. Sorted I think. Re attach and turn back on.

Machine won't boot properly. No dmd (single vertical line only) no topper lights (normally all illuminating during boot). When the machine boots I have gi and insert lamps like normal attract mode however I get the "bong bong bong" error noise however no dmd to read the report.

Loads of could firing and going nuts.

Looking closely at the cpu board I think it looks acid damaged. What do you think?

IMG_7209.JPG IMG_7210.JPG

Batteries have been remoted for about 18 months but that's not to say the damage was underlying before.

If I swap the cpu board from fishtales do I need to swap over any roms? Or will it be ok as is just to test if it boots?

Thanks guys
Gaz

Hello, Gaz,

I think it'll be okay just to check if the other cpu will boot up, but I'd take the precaution of taking off the connectors for solenoids. Both these games check motor-driven gadgets once the program has started, BigFoot on WhiteWater and the fishing reel on Fish Tales. I'd eliminate the 'chase' board for the waterfall effect lamps too.

One of the ribbon cables at the top of the cpu board looks like it may not be properly seated.

Thanks mate. Very helpful. I'll try when the kids are in bed. Any idea which connector controls the solenoids. Also, is it just the game rom which needs exchange to test?

Hello,

The solenoid returns are connected via various connectors at the bottom of the power/driver board, but I was thinking you wanted to try the Fish Tales Cpu without changing the Rom, i.e. Fish Tales board & program in White Water. If you're going to change the Rom chip, then the solenoid stuff isn't really necessary, but the cpu will revert to factory settings if a different program is fitted.

Thanks mate

I've never done this before so not sure what I'm expecting to happen boot wise if I tried it with ft rom installed.

I don't want it to damage anything.

I'm pretty sure it's reverted to factory settings anyway (assuming that's the error on start up)

So it's just the one game rom then

Please, please double then triple check the orientation of the EPROM chip before you start. If you get it the wrong way round, it WILL be sausaged.

Ok. I swapped out the wh20 cpu for the ft one. Same issue. At first it booted like before. No dmd, solenoids going nuts, then went to attract. Factory settings restored. I put a credit on using the service switch and it started a game, ejecting a ball in to the trough. However I had no flippers. Not sure if it's the switches or the coils. Fuses for flippers all good so assuming it's the switches. Sling shots were still firing when activated. I didn't try pops or any others.

Still no topper lights.

So I turned it off. Reseated connectors and it won't boot at all now :hmm: tried severa times.

Swapped cpu's back. Ft works fine still no boot on wh20.

Bottom led on cpu on all the time. No others illuminated.

Dmd driver led is on.

Not sure if connected (thinking it might be) however I have an led strip mod illuminating the back boulders. I noticed a wire off hanging loose which may have shorted against something. It's plugged into J116. I've removed it but no change.

I'm at a loss guys :(

Thanks mate. I have read that but unfortunately my symptoms aren't listed

On the cpu the top two leds (D19&20) don't come on at all.
D21 stays on.
All the other leds dotted around are on.

Ive tried booting with dmd disconnected, chase light board disconnected and all the switch and solenoid connectors at the bottom of the CPU. Nothing changes. Just get a slight high pitch squeak coming from somewhere.

No bongs mate. Nothing. No led at all except D21.
I'm starting to think it could be related to the dmd driver having read some stuff. However this involves logic probes and puts me waaaaay out of the ball park.

I'd definitely be checking the voltages first mate. They are listed below the bongs checks on that link I posted.

have you got 12v i suspect that you have not if all the solanoids are poping these will be ones with optos j116 is a 12v conector so i bet your led short maybe has poped the fuse hence no dmd 12v and no toppper 12v

A real quick look before I went out. Powered on with everything disconnected from the dmd driver board. It booted but still had the coils firing.

Ok. First of all I'd like to thank @chris b. I swapped out fuse 116 and I now have switches. Not sure how that got taken out. Must've shorted that wire somewhere. Now coincidence or not the game still wouldn't boot after that little episode. I'd established the game would boot if the data cable daisy chained to to the dmd board was unplugged. So thanks to Martin @gopinball who like a thief taker in the night covertly messaged me and told me to swap data cables, I'm now up and running 100%.

Thanks both. You're what makes the forum Ace.

Now to buy a new data cable

Back
Top Bottom