What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where could I get one of these?

marcoos_1

Registered
Alias
Mark McC
I was trying to fix the backbox lights on my Dr Dude. Since I bought it one half went out, then the other half. After a bit of messing about I found this connector had some obvious heat damage. It's a bit hit-or-miss on the board, but it does still work if I hook it up. Obviously I want to replace it, so can anyone tell me what it is and where I can get one? I'm no electronics wiz....but is it possible to fit this at home or do I need special tools?

I was a bit concerned about the heat that has obviously been produced in there at some point. I'm going to change the bulbs to LED and try to reduce the power/heat for the future. Trying at the moment to find a UK source of a an LED kit (I ordered one from ebay previously that was coming from Australia.....waited ages and it never arrived - so don't want to do that again). Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

So you are after LEDs for the backbox and playfield ...
1 stop pinball , pinball led UK .do kits . If not on there wed site just ask them !!
Parts for the machine , pinball mania , pinball heaven or pinball daze .

Thanks Carl,

I have emailed 1 Stop already, so I shall give the others a try too. Will try the parts guys you mentioned as well for the connector and see if I can get anything.

Mark.

These connectors often get burnt up. The problem is that when they tarnish over time, resistance increases, so then the connectors get hot and that accelerates the tarnishing and they end up looking rather burnt.

Andy Netherwood aka @pinballmania is the man here. You will need ...

1. Replacement connector block
2. Crimp pins
3. 1× blanking pin (probably)
4. Crimping tool

The heat generated may have tarnished the pins on the circuit board too, so you need fine wet and dry paper (400 grit ?) to clean the tarnished metal off these

If you are committed to 70s , 80s and 90s games, replacing connectors is a fact of life. You might as well take the hit and buy the crimping tool

If you replace the connector and clean the pins the thing should not give trouble again.

No need for LEDs unless you really want them. In home use a rebuilt connector is unlikely to fail again with incandescent bulbs. Remember that your game will have been switched on for 12h a day year after year when it was soliciting paying punters.

Back
Top Bottom