What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What parts go wrong most often in pinballs?

Nedreud

Registered
I'm curious what parts go wrong most often in your pinball machines other than the usual suspects such as rubbers, lamps and coil sleeves, which are essentially consumable items really?

I only have experience of early 80s Bally solid-state classics and the obvious culprits from this era are the MPU from battery corrosion, SRAM and other memory chips, 5V rectifiers and bridge rectifiers in the power supply. I've had a need for several replacement Solenoid Expander and GI Flasher boards (AS-2518-66 and AS-2518-68) and looked at having my own PCBs made up as they're quite simple. I'm also working on an adapter board which will allow 2716 EEPROMs to be used in place of the extremely hard to find and difficult to programme 82S123 PROM on the old Bally -32 and -50 sounds boards.

So, ideas please! I'm thinking about all those opto boards and LED boards and driver boards that are littered around modern games.

Bridge rectifiers seem like quite a common electronic component that fail. Certainly on the old Bally supplies they were clearly underrated and run at the limit of the max output.

I'd noticed a lot of folks having problems with "opto boards" of all sorts. Must look closely into these as they seem very simple.

Pin specific gimmicks like the TWD crossbow/Austin Powers frickin' lazer beam, acdc canon, things that aren't tried and tested over 10, 20, 30 years like pop bumpers, coils etc which have been fine tuned and easily swapped out when failing.

Back
Top Bottom