What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are the Creature from the Black Lagoon hologram alternatives?

That's interesting as I had Pinsound as an option on my V-Pin and I preferred the original soundtrack on Tommy to The Who soundtrack, and I like The Who.

With regards to the hologram you are limited to what is available, which doesn't seem like much to be honest.

I agree , most of The Whos Tommy tracks are pretty dirgy stuff tbh, Pinball Wizard aside - and not really that suited to a pinball game . I love early Who and not really that fond of the Tommy album. The mad Data East disco beats livens it all up 😁

I also preferred the original crazy DE Star Wars tracks to the proper movie mix on Pinsound. 😁
I’m sure @strobey woukd agree

Oh The Who's Tommy I was on about is the live experience not the tamely recorded album.
Mine is the Fillmore 69, Woodstock, Hull 70, Tanglewood 70
Greatest live period of any band ever FACT

I agree , most of The Whos Tommy tracks are pretty dirgy stuff tbh, Pinball Wizard aside - and not really that suited to a pinball game . I love early Who and not really that fond of the Tommy album. The mad Data East disco beats livens it all up 😁

I also preferred the original crazy DE Star Wars tracks to the proper movie mix on Pinsound. 😁
I’m sure @strobey woukd agree
The soundtracks are so bad they are good.

Brian Schmidt makes 80% of the DE pinball experience. Such amazing scores you can literally drown in that heart pumping synth.

What really set DE pins apart was their stereo capability. The BSMT chip nailed those phase effects to make the whole machine explode during jackpots and reward tunes. It was basically doing what Q Sound did but without advertising the fact. He just knew those effects were possible and used them as part of his mix.

Oh and ever wondered why BK2K and Swords of Fury also sound great...? Yup, Brian did a stint at Williams too.

The guy's a genius. Would love to meet him one day.

Creech is a very special game. The code seems simplistic but is actually very well written and highly addictive. I have pinsound, stereo upgrade, pinsound speakers and colour DMD. My hologram is original but green/blue in colour.
You’ll be surprised to know it’s my only pin with incandescent bulbs. I feel it adds to the festive /sentimental show.

I absolutely love the original creech soundtrack. Something about it just works. There's charm to the sound and interpretation of the music that isn't there with an mp3 of the original songs.

I'm also someone who loves the DEJP soundtrack even though people say it's rubbish because it isn't John Williams score. I've seen videos of it with a John Williams ost mix and it doesn't feel right, the energy is gone.

Does anyone have a list of the options for a replacement holo. Its something I'd like to do in the next few months to my creech.

I don't have a list, but I have one of these:

Would show it in action, but my husband managed to short circuit the screen. It looked good shortly before it was short-circuited.

I don't have a list, but I have one of these:

Would show it in action, but my husband managed to short circuit the screen. It looked good shortly before it was short-circuited.
Nooo, that's an expensive lesson...

I have long thought about producing a like-for-like original hologram for Creech but unfortunately no longer have one to get it absolutely right. Plus they would be very expensive (£300+ each). Real holograms, created by laser are notoriously difficult to make especially these days. In the 80's and 90's they were all the rage and could be done cheaply.

Back in 2017 when I was making various pinball products for Retro Refurbs we did come up with a lenticular substitute, worked just like the 3D posters and had excellent depth of 3D. Very affordable too. The problem was it didn't work so well being front-lit, worked better back-lit, so you had to modify the lamp/mirrors/board mounting etc. In the end, not worth it as a replacement.

So for now you're either stuck with what you've got, the crappy Pinball Centre knock, off or an LCD screen if you can find the kit - and I agree that mod is horrible.

Sure I have posted several times about my brief time as a holographer during college
The equipment needed for hologram making was a barrier. I had occasional access to a massive mercury floating concrete slab table to absorb movement. This would hold the laser and have the mirrors set up for the two runs to the object being recorded. To make a clear image without isolating the outside worlds movements would be a challenge so doing it in the shed isn't going to give good outcomes.
Next issue is to get a model close enough to the original, not sure anyone ever found one close enough.

Sure I have posted several times about my brief time as a holographer during college
The equipment needed for hologram making was a barrier. I had occasional access to a massive mercury floating concrete slab table to absorb movement. This would hold the laser and have the mirrors set up for the two runs to the object being recorded. To make a clear image without isolating the outside worlds movements would be a challenge so doing it in the shed isn't going to give good outcomes.
Next issue is to get a model close enough to the original, not sure anyone ever found one close enough.

Yeah I don't think any model exists. Would have to hire a professional sculptor to make an accurate model to then make the holograms, all adding to the costs.

I started looking for what you need for the basics and to see if the print film used is even publically available. Lasers have moved on in the near 30 years since I last made a hologram.
And then I found this: http://www.litiholo.com/3d-hologram-printer.html
The plates appear to be glass and are not at all practical for a CFTBL hologram but the idea you can have a printer now make these from images does speed up the process.
This really does reduce how much space and equipment is needed to make real holograms but also the delicate developing stage which was also full of hazardous chemicals.
It also would allow a computer generated image for Creech based on what we have and not need a model.

Who wants to chip in for me to buy one?
;)

I started looking for what you need for the basics and to see if the print film used is even publically available. Lasers have moved on in the near 30 years since I last made a hologram.
The plates appear to be glass and are not at all practical for a CFTBL hologram but the idea you can have a printer now make these from images does speed up the process.
This really does reduce how much space and equipment is needed to make real holograms but also the delicate developing stage which was also full of hazardous chemicals.
It also would allow a computer generated image for Creech based on what we have and not need a model.

;)
why would glass plates not work? Does Creech flex the plate?

I am pretty sure that the original is flexible and is flexed but I will check tomorrow

;)

Stay clear. It's cheap, consumer grade crap. Basically just a toy. I've seen hologram prints and they are always low resolution, and lack the brightness you get from a proper laser-exposed holographic film.

There's also the issue that the maximum print size of those particular machines is 4x5 inches, which if I remember correctly is about half the size of the Creech hologram.

Thanks @PeteB. I just took a look and could quickly see it wouldn't do the job, the plate size of the original is nearer 9".
Plus, the original hologram is flexed to make him wave his arms, so a solid plate wouldn't do it.

Shame that unit hasn't been able to advance and improve what we could do in the 80's and 90's. I guess the practical uses were extracted and the 3d effect is largely redundant with other modern technology.

Back
Top Bottom