What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What’s going on here????

Spandangler

Site Supporter
Hey gang

Just about to put the flipper rebuilds on my TAF when I notice this arrangement.

F329F85F-F2C2-4867-9A4C-E290C0B484BB.jpeg

Notice how the blue/black wire is spliced into the orange wire which goes to one of the tabs on the eos.

What the dickens is going on here. Can anyone think why this would be and where the flip should the end of that blue/black wire should be going to?

Thanks in advance
Gaz

Well... that's kind of exciting.

Ignore the rectifier and fuses on the attached fliptronic II layout and it's identical to the fliptronic I layout, or so I have read.

You need to find out where that second orange wire has come from, because if it was as it was supposed to be, your EOS switch would be shorted closed.

Attachments

• e686e393bd9df9987c098bd84068b40c9e12f7d5.jpg
    e686e393bd9df9987c098bd84068b40c9e12f7d5.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 14
It was showing a switch eos closed message actually but thought it was for the upper left flipper!!

The upper left flipper actually had both orange wires soldered to the same tab on the eos which I thought would explain that

It was showing a switch eos closed message actually but thought it was for the upper left flipper!!

The upper left flipper actually had both orange wires soldered to the same tab on the eos which I thought would explain that
Cripes it sounds like you've got a mess on your hands. The diagram suggests that the black-violet wire should be on the upper right flipper, but you're clearly looking at your lower flippers. With what you say and the game dotting over the shorted-closed upper-right flipper, it seems to line up with what we see.

It seems like you've got some butchery to undo.

Wow you do get your knickers in a twist easy pbrookfield
Gaz I would suspect that eos switch is the wrong one early Williams one with contacts closed all the time as per the wires solder both orange to one lug on the new switch and the black on to the other job done I will send you 4 new eos switches do them all

No need Chris. I’ve got new eos switches with the rebuilds. Thanks though mate.

The upper left flipper must have a wire somewhere in the loom for that other lug

Thanks guys. Appreciate it. Seems straight forward. Just need to find the black wire for my upper left flipper somewhere in the loom

Wow you do get your knickers in a twist easy pbrookfield
Sorry you feel that way I guess. Nothing wrong with erring on the side of caution. When you see 'substitutions' like that and twist-tied wires it's a warning sign that other bad hacks could be near, because the machine wasn't worth a soldering iron to whoever did the job.

EDIT: Have since found out this game was bought as-is with visible acid damage - you're right in that it's far less exciting a discovery than I first thought.

Also I hope no offence was taken as, not knowing the background, I meant nothing personal at all - I know this forum's been down that road before and it wasn't my intention.

Last edited:
I'm still a neophyte to pinball, though experience from the video game side of things taught me to get anxiety when I saw wires twisted together. And when I got my first machine, I saw this in the backbox. The rest of the machine also progressed in a very similar manner. So I'm definitely twitchy!

Attachments

• IMG_6105s.jpg
    IMG_6105s.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 23
Gaz,

The flipper coil is an older type 'Serial-wound' coil, too. The Fliptronic systems used parallel-wound flipper coils, with Addams introducing the standard rating of Orange wrapper (FL 15411) for main flipper units

Last edited:
The one visible in the picture (main left?) is, from memory Addams uses Orange '15411' for the main flippers, Red '11630' for upper right and Yellow '11753' for the Thing flipper. And the coils must have diodes - unlike Fliptronic II, the original system doesn't have tie-back diodes on the pcb.

On the subject of hacked-about EoS switch wiring, while I was at Deith Leisure I sorted out a Star Trek Next Gen which had come from a supposedly 'good for pins' operator. This had the flipper coils connected to the EoS switches (as with the older high-current-switching type), and the proper wiring cut off altogether.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom