What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted [Wanted] Hook - or good starter table

antlet2

Registered
Hi guys, looking for a reliable, fun, starter table for a complete novice.

Finally getting a house with space to have a pinball table.

Pm me with what you have or let me if you have seen something that may be suitable.

Tight budget as we have spent every penny on a house, but id like a good condition machine that doesn't need work. so i can spend time enjoying it.
Thanks

Saw your initial post on the Yahoo group. First the bad new a £750 budget is really going to limit your choices. If you hold off for a couple of months and slide up to £1000 a lot more options would become available. (eg Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Hook, Lethal Weapon 3, Jurassic Park, No Fear etc) - prices are very subjective though:confused:

The good news is that the resale value of machines at that end of the market are extremely unlikely to fall, so when time comes to sell you should get your cash back. There's not many hobbies that mean you can buy something, enjoy it and yet still not be out of pocket in the future,

Nothing wrong with a Hook, it was my first table. Just don't expect it to be as wow as say AC/DC. The small DMD is potentially an issue though if it fails as it's hard to replace. Same with the DE Star wars.

Gottlieb also have tables that tend to sell for under a grand.

DE, Sega and Gottlieb tables tend to be cheaper than WMS or Stern ones. Nothing wrong with them but personal taste is always important. The suggestion on Yahoo about buying a X-files will have Dan killing himself with laughter on this forum.

Hold fire for a couple of weeks and see what comes up. If you are in London then I'd suggest coming along to the Pipeline for the next London Pinball league meet. (it's in a couple of Saturday's time). Matt who runs it always has a good selection of machines for sale.

There's a fair few pinheads in London who can give you advice but really it comes down to finding a machine that interests you. The league meets are also a good place to get to try out a range of different machines. Where in the city are you?

I've currently got Batman Forever that I'm probably looking to move on in the near future but I'd be looking for a grand for it,

I'd hold off from ebay until you know a little more about what you are looking for, Lots of machines there but very little chance of getting a bargain.

The same goes for Gumtree

Hi john,
Thanks for your informative reply.
we are living in ealing right now, but will be moving to south of Oxfordshire (the chilterns) in several weeks.

I used to play alot of pinball on my NES and then later on the PC throughout the 90s. I never played on them much in the arcade as we didnt have much money and local arcades died out by the time i was working. - born early 80s.
Ive got virtual pinball set up on my MAME cabinet, but i dont play it much as the real thing is so much better.

Im not really overly fussed on the type of pin right now, as i want to make sure i actually play it more than once every few months like my mame cabinet :)

Like you say they hold the value so once ive got one and if i play alot i can always upgrade. I have lots of hobbies so i tend to switch my focus.
but id start to go along to events once i get up to speed.

I know as much that cabs are like old cars, i would never buy a car off ebay without looking at it and when i buy a second hand car i tend to always buy from an enthusiast as i know they have taken care of it like i do.

Someone has offerred me a good condition hook that he bought for 850, but he has since put more in to as stuff has failed like the power supply. So he says he'd want 1000 for it.

the more i spend the more my wife will hate me for swapping more "toys" for building work and stuff that needs to be done in the house :)

If you see any cabs worthwhile let me know - i like the lethal weapon cab as ive played that recently now you mentioned it.
where you living and how are you guys shipping the pins? - shiply? Or always using this martin courier i keep reading about

Personally I don't think I'd pay a grand for a Hook. But I might be out of the loop on that one.

I always use Martin for delivery as he's a great guy. Other though use Speedlink. You are normally looking at about £80 to move a machine.

I'm on the other side of London to you. There are a couple of collectors near you though who will probably chime in.

It's always worth checking out the Pipeline as they have a range of machines in there (a little bit of a trip for you as it's near Liverpool st)

Probably worth contacting Dawn about the SE league as well

Ealing is my neck of the woods - i'm by the bunny park in Hanwell and have a nice collection but currently no time to play them as my work is superbusy, and any time off work is spent with my little boy who's coming up to three. i have one in the house and a load that are up on their ****s in my garage or at the back of a storage unit covered in a mate's junk and inaccessible for a few months.

but i will have these for sale at some point - BTTF 1100, Elvis 2200, MSF 1150, ID4 850, RCT 1100 .... some of them i already took photos and video before parking them under my mate's assorted garage contents, others not. Elvis is the only one of those currently on its legs and plugged in to play.

please don't buy an Xfiles dude, it's a piece of crap

gillian anderson.jpg

yes, next social meet is in Liphook on Nov 16th (next Sunday) from 12-6, a few of us from on here will be in attendance. see you there?

I have a Hook that I need to sort the HV power issue, its very straight and plays well, needs a clean and re rubbering (I have the rubber set), I will take £750 for it when HV is sorted if you are happy to clean and fit the rubbers yourself, Thanks, Andy

No such thing as a starter table, buy something you want to play.

More money does not mean better in the world of pinball.

No such thing as a starter table, buy something you want to play.

More money does not mean better in the world of pinball.

Listen to this post 100%

I have pins for a few k and pins that were £100.Like all in their own way.
Anyway why stop at one-it's never enough.Pinball rule #1,correct number of pins to own is however many you have PLUS one:rofl:

Not much help but the only thing I can add is the "Reliable" part. Not to burst your bubble but you will never buy a pin and have it work forever without breaking (unless you only have it for a week or something).

I've gone through 7 pins so far, ALL (bar 1 so far) of them have had problems, some minor issues - others major. The only advice I can give is that for something reliable it would have to be a relatively simple game with less to go wrong and even then at some point down the road something will fail/break/burnout or whatever. Even brand new Stern's fail so spending money on one of those (which is way out your budget) isn't a saving grace.

And yes, I agree with Abaxas. I spent a little more than you on my first game but it was still in 3 figures and I had a lot of fun with my first game. I went with Judge Dredd because I love the comics and the game was a very reasonable DMD so for me the theme made it. Look around at what you want in a game and go from there.

Chris Brim has a Getaway HS2 up for sale that would make a cracking first pin.

Not much help but the only thing I can add is the "Reliable" part. Not to burst your bubble but you will never buy a pin and have it work forever without breaking (unless you only have it for a week or something).

I've gone through 7 pins so far, ALL (bar 1 so far) of them have had problems, some minor issues - others major. The only advice I can give is that for something reliable it would have to be a relatively simple game with less to go wrong and even then at some point down the road something will fail/break/burnout or whatever. Even brand new Stern's fail so spending money on one of those (which is way out your budget) isn't a saving grace.

And yes, I agree with Abaxas. I spent a little more than you on my first game but it was still in 3 figures and I had a lot of fun with my first game. I went with Judge Dredd because I love the comics and the game was a very reasonable DMD so for me the theme made it. Look around at what you want in a game and go from there.

TBH ALL pins can go wrong.
There are a great grroup on here that can help with repairs and advice.
My first "doer upper" was a STTNG - and many sasy thats a PITA.But I went over every switch esp optos and it was reliable as fook for over 6 years after that

I have a number of machines available within your budget, many of which will be at the London Pinball League end of season party on the 29th at The Pipeline. If you would like me to bring any ones in particular for you to try or if you want to swing by and check them out, send me a PM.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom