What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Video Streaming

Jim Lindsay

Registered
Hi all,

After setting up stream for GPO last weekend I've been asked by a few people what equipment / software I used etc.
I've attached a short guide - this ISN'T anywhere near perfect and I'm sure there are better techniques. It should prove useful to people starting up though (like me!).
Any further advice / tips / tricks etc. would be very much appreciated.
Apologies for the doc being slightly 'German' :)

Finally, thanks to Martin for putting me initially on the right track.

Cheers!

Jim

Attachments

• Guide to Pinball Video Streaming.pdf
    1,020.3 KB · Views: 16
Interesting Jim, I'm a video person myself but tend to stick to traditional formats. I will give your list a proper read later!

One thing that has always baffled me with streams is how do you attract a good number of watchers? When I put a video up on YouTube depending on the subject matter I get somewhere between 10-300 views (unless it is something particularly special that gets into the thousands). How do you get people to watch your stream? Word of Mouth? Posting on forums/websites etc? I imagine it can be a bit depressing spending all that time and effort on kit and sorting it out only to get 1 or 2 people turn up to watch. It's something I might like to try but like I said, a lot of effort for little reward if no one shows up!

Cheers!

Hi. With the GPO it was easy - the mention of John Trudeau and the various shares of the YouTube videos on different pinball FB groups resulted in over 3000 views in many countries around the world!
The next tournament I streams was at Fulda a couple of weeks ago with 2 videos of the finals. This only generated around 200 views and mainly Germany. Way I see it is that it gave friends and family of the pball group chance to watch and that itself is enough reward. Similarly, showing the stream on a large TV at the venue gives everyone there a far better view than crowding round the machines.
Key to more views is publicity before as well as after the event of course. As I get more experienced with streaming then I'll get links posted on the event websites or FB pages.
Jim

It's now been a month since posting the videos of the finals on YouTube.
In that time there have been over 3000 viewings from all over the world !!!
I've attached a summary of the viewing statistics which show:
1) Virtually no viewers under the age of 25.
2) Only 4% of women viewers
Draw your own conclusions :)
Jim

Attachments

• Video Viewing Report.xlsx
    13 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom