What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very tight PDI glass

Julian

Site Supporter
Having purchased some sheets of PDI glass, I am having difficulty getting them into 2 of my machines the Simpsons Pinball Party & Elvis as I get it to about an inch and a half from in when the glass becomes so tight I dare not push it home as it would never come out again.

My question is how best to 'open up' the Stern glass slide rails on these 2 machines, it appears to be the back part by the backbox that is tight, I don't want to damage the rails as such thought I'd ask if its a matter of opening up the gap where the glass sits or do I have to bend them out a bit?

Cheers

Have you tried taking a hammer and screwdriver, put the screwdriver in the side rail near the top, and give it a good whack to maybe grab an extra horizontal mm each side? If it's a vertical mm you need, that's probably easier but you'd need to do a bit of crowbar action

I'm guessing you don't want to damage the games but I see no alternative than to do what Luke Skywalker would have done - use the force.

I tried the screwdriver approach on the plastic glass guides but did not help, although I did it gently as I did not want to damage them.

If it was me I would get a short section of flat steel bar from work, 5 or 6mm thick or whatever is needed, put it in slot and tap it along with a hammer.

Wooaoaaahh, thread necromancy warning.

I just wanted to add that I found this issue with my Rocky & Bullwinkle when I came to fit the new Roman glass.

I tried polishing up the glass channels with both Novus 1 and Pledge, but ultimately the solution was to run something with a bit of girth (oo-er) up and down the channel to widen them slightly. As luck would have it I found a tiny screwdriver tool which usually has a socket mounted to the end. With the socket removed the square end was the perfect side to wedge in the channel to pry it open slightly.

Glass is still tight but not so tight that i'm scared i'm going to smash it removing it from the machine. It's good stuff too - really impressed with the lack of reflections. Whilst working in the backbox I looked down a few times and totally forgot i'd reinstalled the glass.

Back
Top Bottom