What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

vector saucer speech issue

stevebm1

Registered
whilst playing vector earlier today,I noticed it had developed a strange fault,when a ball goes in the left saucer it says "defender" and turns off the top right light on the vectorscan drop targets,the target itself stays upright though.Then if you do lock a ball the "E" target switch acts as if it has been hit as well even though it hasn't,looking at the switch matrix in the manual these switches are all connected to the same line,ive checked the diodes on each of these switches with my multimeter and they are fine,and also reseated the connectors on the boards in the head,but the fault still exists,anyone Vector owners had this fault before?,it's got me a bit stumped

yes they all test fine,if im reading the switch matrix correctly,the switches on that line are left bottom saucer (5),top right arrow lane (13),E target (21),3 top drop target right (29),advance bonus rollover button(37),45 is not used and not in the loom as far as im aware

So when switch 5 triggers, what is is triggering? switch 29?

and which switch is also triggering 21?

Attachments

• 1586098946574.png
    1586098946574.png
    74.6 KB · Views: 12
yes switch 5 triggers 29,bottom capture saucer triggers 17 triggers E 21,but all switches respond normal if machine is put in switch test mode,the fault only occurs during gameplay

Hmm check switch 1 - there are two of them to left and right of outhole - both may have diodes on. check those diodes.

thanks for the quick replies,i'll check those also in a bit and let you know how I get on,ive got to remove the apron to get to those switches

In switch test make sure the game is set up as it would be when the fault definitely occurs in gameplay - 2 balls in outhole, any drops down etc.

I had switch issues with my Beat the Clock, took me ages to find it as I eventually realised it only happened when the drop target was down, which turned out to have been wired incorrectly causing seemingly completely unrelated switches to have issues!

^ yes. it is likely that another switch is on during game play which is why the problem doesn’t occur in switch test mode. we need to know which one and that will lead us to the problem......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trough switch diodes are fine,so no fault there,however did discover something else,when a game starts the 3 lower drop targets go down(this is correct as this is how a game starts,however if I reset the lower drop targets to the up position by hand and then put the ball in the left saucer,the speech is correct and the E target fault disappears,I checked the diodes on the lower drop target and again all are fine,so still can't find the problem

it seems to be the bottom right one number 26,although the diode tests fine?

Then I'd say the diode on switch 2 is short circuited and needs replacing. Hmmm actually let me have a bit of a think about it..........

I will check it out tomorrow,thanks again for the advice

when does 17 trigger 21? ie what other switch needs to be on to make that fault appear? is it 26 again or something else?

I am convinced your problem lies with the Diode on Switch 2 which is the one in the trough under the apron. It is the lower of the two switches you see on the left.

I replaced the diode on switch 2,and it made no difference fault still occurs

Oh and having read through it all I suspect the internal workings of switch 2 rather than the diode failing. Try replacing the trough switch and see if that resolves the problem. If you don't have a spare then you could swap that with another switch and see if the problem moves.

im beginning to suspect the loom to a4j2 may be the problem,it's had the connector changed at somepoint in it's life,and it's not a famtastic job,yes 26 has to be down to cause the problems,when it's up things are fine

not all of them have caps,but I suppose I could cut the ones that do

going back to switch 17, triggering switch 21, is that still happening and if so what other switch needs to be closed to create the problem?

Back
Top Bottom