What's new

Upgrading speakers

kevlar

Site Supporter
Alias
Kevin Donovan
The edge of the cabinet speaker in my Getaway has rotted away so I need to replace/upgrade it. This has got me thinking of maybe upgrading the speakers in all my other pins too. I see there are a lot of inexpensice speakers on ebay, 8" subs etc. Does anyone have any experience of replacing the stock speakers? Are crossovers needed etc?

any help/sugestions welcome.

Kev

Some games are better to upgrade than others.
Stan is well up on speaker upgrades (barton on group) as well as others. I'm sure they will give you good advice.

I'm also very interested in replacing stock Stern speakers. I was thinking of either Flipper Fidelity or Pinball Pro upgrade kits as it's hard finding the right size speakers on Ebay with the right impedance.

Fitted external active subs to both the Tron and IM. Massive improvement, and a bonus that you can turn them on and off when required. Got another to fit to GnR.

I was hoping to avoid the cost of a FF kit especially as I don't think they are for sale here and as that guide linked above says you shouldn't have to spend that much. I would like to replace the backbox speakers in my RBION, they sound crap to me.

You do know that most Sterns have crap mono sound, right? I wouldn't think buying better speakers will make the sounds any better. In fact, it may even sound much worse. I noticed lots of extra hissing coming from my Tron after the FF kit upgrade. That particular kit comes with a level adjustment knob (fits in the backbox) which helped drown it out with a bit extra bass, but its still there ever so slightly.

The external powered sub is a great idea and I have done that myself. Two wires feeding from underneath with two croc clips connected to your OEM subs outputs is all you need to get the signal and sounds just as good as any of the more pricey upgrades.

Does that mean I could use the sub in my living room? just croc clip it onto my sub in the bottom of the cabinet and plug into the back of my Samsung sub?

Yes. You would need to put two croc clips on the Samsung subs 'sound input' wires then just attach them to the input terminals on your pinball sub.

Last edited:
Hi Kev,

I bought a set of these from ebay for around £20
http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/25/131/201/TS-G1322i/page.html

I also bought one of these subs
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000WW37J2/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
but ended up putting it in a TAF that I was refurbing for someone else (since the TAF sub had disintegrated).
By the time I got round to rewiring my TZ I couldn't find that sub for sale anywhere, so bought an 8" sub - but can't remember make or where from. However, I could never find the time to fit it in TZ (since it would mean altering the cab) so it went in SM - where it was a straight swap and sounds wayyyyyyy better than the stock one (it was at NERG this year). Will try and dig out what it is/where I got it from when I get home tonight if anyone is interested.

Cheers
Geoff.

Yes. You would need to put two croc clips on the Samsung subs 'sound input' wires then just attach them to the input terminals on your pinball sub.
Hmm might have to sneek it into the gamesroom later and try it out....don't think the wife will even notice!

Just had a look at the back of my Samsung sub and it states it's 3 ohm...would this stress the amp? I think the one in the bottom of the cabinet is an 8" 4ohm sub.

I=V/R

Hence more current = more chance of burning smells coming from parts you dont want to have to repair.

But reality is... should be fine.

Just had a look at the back of my Samsung sub and it states it's 3 ohm...would this stress the amp? I think the one in the bottom of the cabinet is an 8" 4ohm sub.

When connecting an external sub it needs to be active, I.e have its own power supply and amplifier. All your doing is picking up the signal.

Just looked on my Sony one and it too is 3ohm. I used this with no issues on No Fear, Indiana jones, and Tron. As todler mentions, its just picking up the signal.

I did a direct replacement Infinity 13" pair in Wh2o - Had to carve out the smaller side (Which was easy!!). Alpine 6" Sub with large magnet in the bottom.

Not sure exactly how it sounds, however I have used the same alpine sub in RFM and it sounds the Dogs.... :D

Used two small second hand (ex-boy racer) speakers in RFM and is sounds much better and punchier.....

Back
Top Bottom