What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK Pinball Party future?

kevlar

Site Supporter
Alias
Kevin Donovan
What are the chances of someone taking over/resurrecting the UKPP now that Andrew Heighway has left HP? Being a relative newcomer to pinball ( <5 years ) I'm not fully aware of the UKPP history, my first being 2013. Was it always a bit of a promotional event for Andrew and his then new company or did it start before HP? Either way, Andrew is probably too busy organizing the UK Hydrofoil party so maybe its time for someone else to take over? ( don't look at me! ).

I was just thinking about the UKPP and was going to post about it too!

Heighway's was a one-off as it used to be held in Daventry.

Would really love to see it back, and I know that the Dutch and Belgians always ask us when we will be have another international event.

Loved the UKPP but appreciate that organising them is a task!

I'm talking with a friend who runs a charity about doing a games industry charity pinball event at our place, but I'm not sure I have the time to do any more than one offs :)

lack of affordable well located venues seems to have been the sticking point. also you need the skin of a Rhino. good example being Lemonade gate at Northampton.

Yep Daventry events we great and would love them to come back. The one in South Wales at HP factory was fun and stupidly cheap beer in town but a long way to travel and the town is pretty rough.

There's NLP for u all to at least get your pin fix,where else ya gonna play 100 pins? Threads like this come up,people ask for stuff like this,and when people organise summat people don't turn up a la South Wales this year.
The NLP/expo is awesome no doubt and I'll be there every year if I can. Was attendance a problem at the UKPP? I've only been to Daventry once ( it was pretty rammed, 2013) and the factory one ( poor attendance, most say cos of location). I'm sure a centrally located one will be a success again?

I think we were spoiled having the UK show in a central hotel, very much like many shows in the US.

If this can be made to happen again, that would be the ideal. I know that when there is a room (even better a pool) only yards away, i can bring the whole family and the wife is on board tagher than against the idea.

I think we were spoiled having the UK show in a central hotel, very much like many shows in the US.

If this can be made to happen again, that would be the ideal. I know that when there is a room (even better a pool) only yards away, i can bring the whole family and the wife is on board tagher than against the idea.
Same thought there. Living outside the UK, if it's awkward to get to, it becomes a 4 day trip instead of a 2 or 3 day for me. That's a hard sell to the family. If it's somewhere properly interesting, I can sell it as part of a holiday, like the SCS! I'll be trying to do that for the NLP next time also.

Still need to contact Andy H as that is the right thing to do. He hasn't said he wasn't doing another show. This is before Heighway Pinball.

Just do the right thing.

wherever a show is bear in mind the old saying.... Use it or lose it. Think about that next time a smaller show is in south wales,Cambridge way,Glasgow etc. Guess what will happen if people don't attend

u miss the point mate, point is supporting ANY pin show, or if u get that,and i know u come to nlp othets don't go,cos it aint on their doorstep , just making point some AIN'T supported ,prime example south wales.Dave worked his ass off and very few turned up. All i am saying is whilst I appreciate it can be a hike wherever possible people go to them whilst ya can

u miss the point mate, point is supporting ANY pin show, or if u get that,and i know u come to nlp othets don't go,cos it aint on their doorstep , just making point some AIN'T supported ,prime example south wales.Dave worked his ass off and very few turned up. All i am saying is whilst I appreciate it can be a hike wherever possible people go to them whilst ya can
Whilst I agree, first thing that kills it is venue, that's a huge upfront cost. then there's logistics, getting games, sorting power etc (which i know you'll be familiar with). then there's repairs, 150 game takes looking after.
i'd love a show, Donington Park exhibition centre is perfect, right size, no noise problem, central, next to an airport and motorway etc. Just not got 20 large to gamble on it...

I've also looked at hosting/organising a UKPP style party.

I had meetings with Daventry's sister hotel in Hinckley, all was going well until I mentioned the show Andy ran at Daventry.
The hire of the room went from free to £3k per day - money upfront. Without wanting to cast aspersions against individuals, the pinball community seems to have a very bad reputation when it comes to money being paid in the correct and proper way, making it so much harder to try and put something on.

The costs are astronomical to try and put a large international show on. Venue hire, insurance, electrical sign-off, cabling, trophies, prizes, and so much more. You then have the problem of actually getting games, people are reluctant (and quite rightly too) to donate their machines, pay for fuel and van hire free of charge if any profit simply goes to the organiser. Just one of the reasons why the vast majority of comps are ran as charity events.

IF the organiser does manage to make a profit, having risked their own money/reputation upfront they are castigated for it - not much incentive to try and do it.

There's simply no venue in the UK which is capable of hosting a significant sized comp - without a LOT of effort from a lot of people.

Then Poi has a great point. If people don't attend comps because they're too far away (as one excuse), or complain about the format, or not generating enough WPPR points , or the food, or the owner of the venue, or any other number of complaints I've received; there's less chance of that comp being ran again. I've already had to cancel one of the comps I ran due to poor turnout (AYU), I just hope that there's full attendance for the comp World Cup Comp in August, otherwise that will be the next on the chopping block.

But it's not all doom and gloom - talks are in place for a major 2-day comp to be ran in the UK this year (presumably one of the 2 Phil knows about). Watch this space.

Major 2-day comp in the UK this year...

It's June already, that's already too late to announce anything.

Back
Top Bottom