What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK Pinball Open @ Croydon Hilton 29/09/22-02/10/22

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
I'm still buzzing from the whole experience!

Can't thank everyone enough, makes me feel terrible about not being able to help the helpers and volunteers more, but next time for sure (and if new job allows me the time off!)

P.S. Will pay good money if anyone has a pic of Neil sobbing 😭

Being in the room, whilst that game of Dialled In went on forever was something else, the skill levels were unbelievable and no-one knew for sure how big Roy’s bonus had grown
Bonus lost when Roy tilted was 666,500 - about 500k more than enough to get him through to the final.

(JJP games tend to tell you how much bonus you've lost).

There were some EPIC games, both for score and drama.

THAT Fish Tales game - I was sat with @Matt Vince and @roadshow16 as we watched.
Craig suggested someone would score under 5mil, top score wouldn't be over 60mil.
When @robotgreg hit the mystery score for 4mil we were giddy.
But what makes for a TRULY GREAT player is being able to adapt to a machine within your 3 balls, and trust in your ability no matter how far behind you are or whatever bad beats youve had - step up and show everyone youve got the talent. Danielle and Julio did that - not just on this game, but in games throughout the tournament. Peter Andersen had an amazing game on Imdn in the semi, and he will no doubt forever be known as the guy who won the UK Open on a video mode.

To echo everyone else's voices - well done to @Neil McRae for taking the leap of faith in putting the such a large tournament on.
The PBR guys and gals for all of the hard work in getting the machines in and out if the venue and also for all of the scorekeeping.

It was a great weekend, with plenty of room for improvements for next year - I hope some of the issues can be ironed out and addressed.

"Running Pinball Tournaments is Hard"

wow , what an event , the thing that is most satisfying about all of this for me was the many European players and players from over the pond that expressed their gratitude at what a great time they had and how impressed they were with the quality of the whole set up . Having been to quite a few pinball tournaments abroad over the last several Years it felt important to do everything we could to help with the setup and engineer a world class pinball tournament that would be remembered for a long time and i felt we achieved that and managed to overcome the power and software issues that we were faced with over the weekend under all that expectation and pressure . Big Thanks to @Neil McRae for the vision and also a massive thanks to all those that helped manifest that vision , we rocked it !! :thumbs:👏👊

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 21.32.40.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 21.32.40.png
    318.6 KB · Views: 88
Great weekend, thanks to everyone involved. Hopefully an annual event now?

Only constructive feedback would be to look into encouraging the hotel to keep the bar open a little later
You win lol Think the hotel shut the bar criminally early. Especially for those working hard on the event all day. Someone with a hotel room should do a whipround and get the drinks in for the after party lol.

Last edited:
Very well organized tournament.
I think more Swedes should have tournaments like these
It was great that you made the trip again Arvid, looking forward to see you again in a few weeks on your home turf 😉

Craig

What can I add to what has already been said.

Everyone seems to have enjoyed the event which is fantastic!

Neil deserves real credit for pulling this all together. I would like to thank, Clive, Diane, Graham, James, Bob, Mike, Joe, Nick, Stan, Tim, David, Conrad, Andy, Alan, Nick, Rich, Dennis, Mandy, Claire, Sarah, Greg, Marc, Ed, Jeff and everyone else I've missed (sorry, I'm still shattered!) for all the help they put in over the weekend. It just goes to show what a great community of people we have and what we can achieve working together.

Massive congrats to Wayne, Greg, Craig and Andy on their performances in the Open and Classics comps, nice to have 4 UK players making the finals/winning. Also a special mention for Yuen, Joshua and Jack whom also performed so well.

'Roll on next year' I hear you all cry! Well right now my body says you can all sod off!!!!

I have to add a thanks to Matt - I was let down by the guys taking my games back to my house and Matt despite being knackered already drove the games back to my house for me - not sure what I’d have done with out him. Thanks Matt.

Excellent 😊😊 hopefully will nudge me nearer if not in the top 20.
Also late to post but want to add my thanks to everyone involved in what was a fantastic weekend of pinballing. Arrived home totally knackered but happy.
Are the prizes soon to be paid? I hear INDISC and Texas calling me back for another attempt to bring it back for the UK! 🤗🤗

Results in except peoples, ladies and juniors which will go on tonight. Also they have added the 20% booster but will today. Josh and Adam are at D82 so easy to get stuff sorted :)
classics called pinball news cup on ifpa? No mention of it being that at the event though.
Really threw me for a second

Also late to post but want to add my thanks to everyone involved in what was a fantastic weekend of pinballing. Arrived home totally knackered but happy.
Are the prizes soon to be paid? I hear INDISC and Texas calling me back for another attempt to bring it back for the UK! 🤗🤗

Did you not get an envelope stuffed with the folding stuff on the day Andy?

Congratulations Yuen - now UK no.4 and in the world top 200! 👍
Heck of a weekend!

Still sorting your thousands of photos Conrad? Looking forward to them... Unless I missed the post?

Did you not get an envelope stuffed with the folding stuff on the day Andy?
Not yet but i did hear Neil say towards the end that it would be done by PayPal over the next coming days as cash wasnt possible

Not yet but i did hear Neil say towards the end that it would be done by PayPal over the next coming days as cash wasnt possible
You need it to book that Airbnb after tomorrow eh?😆😁

Ok – this is very late but I figure it is still worth posting to record such a great series of tournaments and for those unable to watch the streams who have been wondering how the action unfolded. Apologies if there are omissions or inaccuracies - this is not intentional. Will try and get through the others in due course if time allows:

UK Open recap – part 1

More than 150 top pinball players arrived in Croydon, London to do battle over the course of three incredible days to battle it out for the UK Pinball Open Championship – last held in 2019 pre-Covid. The defending Champion from 2019, Roberto Pedroni was in attendance, as well as 4 time World Champion Daniele Acciari and former world number one Peter Andersen. The big names did not stop there – Lowgren, Flygare, Stix, Kristensen, Volman, Teolis, Soriano, Moser, Nayman and Bona were also competing for the massive £5000 first prize amongst many more top players from across the world. Almost every serious competitive pinball player in the UK was in attendance – and the home country threat would be spearheaded by none other than the high flying Andrew Foster(world rank 24), the experience and control of Craig Pullen (ranked 171) and Pinball Republic co-founder and UK Hall of Famer Matthew Vince (ranked 185).

UK Open 2022 Day 1 – Classics 1 report

Fired up Johns slays Medusa on ball 3 to win opening Classics tournament

18 games were available for the Classics I competition, meaning queues were quick and the action furious. At the end of the first day’s qualifying period it was no surprise to see the Danish No.1, Peter Andersen at the very top, with Acciari a close second behind him. Levi Nayman qualified in 3rd, with 4 Brits taking qualifying positions 4-7: Jack Burden, Wayne Johns, Matt Vince and David Mainwaring. Roberto Pedroni took the 8th spot – and in the UK open tournaments, qualifying high would be key as the highest qualifying seed per group of 4 would drive the bus, selecting each game (or choosing position) with the restriction that they could only select a game not already chosen by a higher seed, or repeat a game they had already selected during the playoffs.

In the quarter finals, the featured match up on the excellent Backhand Pinball stream between Acciari, Teolis, Flygare and Engelbeen was of the highest quality – Danielle somehow taking a last place on Space Shuttle in the first game despite a solid 916K as all the others surpassed 1 million with Engelbeen taking first with 1.2M. Jeff Teolis took game 2 in Pinball Champ 82 with a strong 10M, with Daniele 2nd on 7M, setting up a tense decider on Wizard to see who would move on. Teolis was sitting on 6 points, Engelbeen had 4 and Danielle and Flygare with a precarious 2 points each. However Daniele was far from done and set out a statement of intent immediately with a double bonus and near 50K on ball 1. While Teolis and Flygare struggled, the Timber Engelbeen show began, as he racked up double bonus after double bonus, and extra ball after extra ball. Daniele also played incredibly, triple rolling the game and finishing on 330K, but Timber was just too good and scored an astonishing 397,720 points to knock out Daniele and move on to the semi-finals with a delighted Jeff Teolis.
The rest of the Classics I last 8 were Peter Andersen, Andreas Bernard, Yuen Aw, Levi Nayman, Wayne Johns, and Andrew Foster.

In the semis, Wayne and Andy made it two UK finalists as they edged out Belgian phenom Timber Engelbeen. The UK hopes both smashed Quicksilver after a game 1 Timber win on Cleopatra and Andy took the decider with a massive 543K on Paragon with Wayne doing just enough for both Andy and himself to go through with 7 points, with Engelbeen just behind on 6. In the other semifinal matchup, Andreas Bernard showed off some excellent play on Space Shuttle and Barracora to qualify easily, with Teolis putting up a huge 2 million points on Quicksilver to grab second place and the other finals spot at the expense of Peter Andersen and Yuen Aw.

Wayne was top seed remaining in the final and he chose Quicksilver for the first game. Foster took the early advantage after getting his bonus to 5X and ended with over a million points – Andreas took second, with Jeff 3rd and Wayne 4th after one game. After a Flight 2000 malfunction, Space Shuttle was selected as a replacement game and Wayne came roaring back with a win after Multiball and several juicy spinner rips to finish on 976K. Jeff took second with some great play on 793K with Andreas 3rd with 617K. A last from Andy meant it was all to play for on the final game with Andy and Wayne leading with 4 points and Andreas and Jeff on 3 points.

The final selection was Medusa and unfortunately the machine was not cooperating, with unexpected bonus points and stuck balls interrupting proceedings. Eventually these were resolved and Andreas Bernard with some top notch upper playfield play posted a strong 766K target. Andy could only score 363K, but the unflappable Teolis pushed ahead with 828K after some timely Shield of the Gods uses and an extra ball.
Wayne would have the last ball of the match – surely being over 650K behind this would be too much to overcome? However, he had other ideas – in a stunning display of clutch pinball, he somehow overtook Teolis using two incredible outlane saves and two amazing reflex central post saves – one trusting the central post without flipping as the ball hurtled towards the central drain, and one an outstanding use of Shield of the Gods to keep his ball alive once more. After securing the victory, Johns walked off with a triumphant flourish – securing the opening tournament win for the UK. Andy Foster managed to top Andreas Bernard in a high quality playoff on Paragon for 3rd.

Final result (top 8):
1st – Wayne Johns
2nd – Jeff Teolis
3rd – Andrew Foster
4th - Andreas Bernard
5th – Timber Engelbeen
6th – Yuen Aw
7th – Peter Andersen
8th – Levi Nayman

Just received my winnings 😊 Thanks very much Neil and the team

UK Open recap – Day 2

Remember the name: Timber Engelbeen wins Classics 2

Belgian talent Timber Engelbeen introduced himself to the international pinball scene with a stunning victory in the classics 2 tournament. This young man was the talk of the town with unreal skills including rolling tap passes on the fly on Meteor. Fresh off his excellent 5th place in Classics I, Engelbeen showed that he was a force to be reckoned with as he won the final with a dominating 15 Million on Pinball Champ 82, sealing the win with 982K on Alien Poker.

The day had started with qualifying being topped by an unlikely source – world 346, Yuen Aw in his first major tournament series. Aw’s joy however was short lived as he was knocked out by the excellent Greg Mott and Espen Andersen in round one.

Another outsider who had qualified for the Classics 2 playoffs was the mild-mannered world 2880 Sidney Thomas from Arkansas. His reward for qualifying was a place in the Group of Death, containing Daniele Acciari, Arvid Flygare and Craig Pullen. Thomas was unfazed and promptly won the group on 10 points, finishing with an excellent 374K on Genie to put him through. Sidney then came through a tiebreak against Peter Andersen to make the semi finals, where a huge 1.2 Million on Nine Ball was enough to take him through to the Classics 2 final as a huge underdog alongside Timber Engelbeen.

Meanwhile in the other semi-final, two massive games on Skateball of over 4M put Viggo Lowgren into the final, and Craig into a key tie break with Polish No.3 Jakub Tkacz, which a pumped up Craig won on Farfalla to take him through.

In game one of the finals – Timber showed the others how Pinball Champ should be played as he regularly got to the upper playfield, nailed the CHAMP targets then collected the special. Craig did the same but could not hit the red special, despite his best efforts. Viggo also had a shot to catch up but could not capitalise and Timber took the all important 4 points in game 1, with Viggo 2nd and Craig 3rd. In game 2 Timber, perhaps running low on game choices chose to defer – to the glee of Viggo and Craig as Viggo selected Skateball, which they had both excelled on in the previous round. A delighted Viggo and Craig inevitably took 1st and 2nd spots with 1.3M and 691K respectively with Timber 3rd, setting the scene for a tense final game. Viggo was on 6 points and Timber 5, with Craig on 3 and Sidney on zero, meaning if Viggo or Timber won Game 3, they would win the tournament, and if Craig won, he would still be in with a chance depending on where the others finished. Timber chose to defer game choice again in game 3, to secure the crucial 4th player slot, and this time Viggo selected Alien Poker. Viggo started the strongest, with unlucky early drains from Craig off the drop targets leaving him plenty to do after two balls. Viggo posted 716K after two balls, with Timber staying in touch with 678K after two. Viggo had a nervy ball three and despite lighting the 4X King’s scoring, could only push his score to 805K. Craig had a great ball 3m adding 550K to his score but it wasn’t enough – leaving Timber with only 130K to get to win Classics 2. After a few flips, Timber only needed to complete the bank of drops to take the title – but this proved difficult, and he was forced to making several good saves before eventually cradling up on the left flipper and nailing the backhand to the Ace target. “TIMBEERRR!!!” was the call from Levi in the commentary booth as the crowd erupted to acknowledge a great victory from the triumphant Engelbeen, who I am confident we will be seeing a lot more of in the future.

Final result (top 8):

1st – Timber Engelbeen

2nd – Viggo Lowgren

3rd – Craig Pullen

4th – Sidney Thomas

5th – Jakub Tkacz

6th – Levi Nayman

7th – Espen Andersen

8th – Roberto Pedroni

OK - I've finally got through the photos and uploaded them!

They are on FlickR here.

Feel free to download any you want copies of (select "original size" for the hi-res version).

@Wayne J - I apologise I didn't get any of your Classics 1 final rounds. We were so knackered at the time we popped out to get some food as hadn't eaten all day, and had no idea you were going to win it!

@thelab - I think the photo you were offering good money for is at the bottom of page 2 , and no, he hasn't paid me for it! 🙂

@Neil McRae - despite the photo above, I was asked by quite a few European and USA players about availability of the photos, as they are not on PinballInfo.
Is there any chance you could perhaps mailshot the competitors with the link above so they get a chance to see them please?

Finally, massive well done to all involved - it was a great weekend.

I'm off to get a few beers and beat up the Black Knight now! 🍻

What was the total prize pool @Neil McRae ?

Must be a record for a UK competition by a country mile I’d imagine?

about 20K ish in total

you can add it up here:

Also from what I can tell the only two events in Europe to score more WPPR's in the last few years was the EPC because of the strength of the field, and the ECS the latter owing to its extra 5% booster. I think next year we will give them a run for their money (barring the boosters).

Back
Top Bottom