What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK Pinball League Finals

Wayne J

Site Supporter
Alias
WWJ
As we get closer to the end of the season, and people are asking the regional co-ordinators, I thought it wise to publicise further the format and details surrounding qualification for and the format of the League finals.

40 players will qualify for a single final (no A & B finals) to be held at Pinfest.

There will be:
8 from London
7 from Midlands & North
6 from Scotland, Ireland & South West
As in previous years this is based on attendance the previous years.

There is no specific benefit carried over to the finals based on your qualifying position, but regional trophies are awarded for top 3 places.
There will be a £1 entry fee for the finalists - this is to cover the IFPA submission.

Only players who make the final will be submitted to the IFPA for WPPR pts. This is due to the IFPA not recognising the league format used across different regions and no head to head play on the day.

Qualifying will be over 8 machines in a standard league meet format (although machines may be set to 3 balls rather than 4 or 5). If the winner of a region would like to bring a machine to use in the finals that will be given preference over other choices - I shall try and add further games from across as many manufacturers and eras as possible, based on pledges and competition suitability.
The hope is to have the qualifying split over 2 sessions (Fri pm and Sat am) in a separate room from the main floor. This room could be the same one used for the ladies comp on the Sat pm - but I'll have to work out details with Ailsa and Phil nearer the time, but it could revert to qualifying in the morning (9:00-12:30) with finals starting around 15:00. Full details will be known, and communicated by the regional co-ordinators in advance.

The top 16 qualifiers will then play 5 x 4-player games with 3, 2, 1, 0 scoring.
The groups of these games are already pre-determined based on qualifying positions - but will mean that every finalist will player every other finalist exactly once. Across the 5 games, players will also play in each position (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th) once with those higher up the qualifying playing their 5th game in a later position and lower qualifiers an earlier position. (This did take a fair bit of research and jiggling to get it as close to evenly matched as possible)
Any 2 way ties (including trophy positions) will be decided by their head to head result in the game they played against each other. 3 (or more) way ties that can't be split by head to head results will only have a tie break game if it is for the trophy positions.

Last edited:
With Pinfest and the finals fast approaching I thought I'd post some pics of the trophies up for grabs

Trophies for Regional winners

Attachments

• 20230705_204140.jpg
    20230705_204140.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 32
Trophies for 2nd, 3rd & 4th in the finals

Attachments

• 20230705_204840.jpg
    20230705_204840.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 23
Any more details on the format and timings @Wayne J ?

not sure when all the Irish lads are getting there ,but I think a few are going over early Saturday morning
Format hasn't changed from the initial post, qualifying will only be on the Saturday morning, with the finals in the afternoon.

@Wayne J do you know which games are planned to be used for the finals yet?
STC & C

The games to be used in the League Finals will be:

Woz
Fathom
PotC (Stern)
Spirit
CftBL
TWD
TX Sector &
Cactus Canyon Revisited

With Roller Games & Mystic as backup.

All of these will then be used for the Ladies comp

Players qualifying for the League Final.

2pm back in the same room.

DONT BE LATE!

I'll get full results up later

20230826_131223.jpg

I've now collated the scores from the finals and have the full set of results, as below

Andy Foster​
1​
Luke Grayson​
2​
Paul Owen​
3​
Ian Walmsley​
4​
Will Jarvis​
6=​
Wayne Johns​
6=​
Matt Vince​
6=​
Chris Edis​
9=​
David Dutton​
9=​
Gene Aw​
9=​
Peter Blakemore​
9=​
Chris Poyntz​
12​
Lynn Cowan​
13​
Garry Speight​
15=​
Keith Boreland​
15=​
Martyn Iles​
15=​
Phil Dixon​
17​
Josh Iles​
18=​
Stan Simpson​
18=​
Jon Meggat​
20​
Graeme Burchael​
21​
Alan Griffin​
22​
Donovan Delaney​
23​
Greg Mott​
David Butler​
25=​
David Fowler​
25=​
Paul Barber​
27​
Andy Brock​
28​
David Tucker​
29​
Dan Lewell​
30=​
Alex Sperellis​
30=​
Mark Slade​
32​
Mike Grant​
33=​
Chris Meggat​
33=​
Clement Raigneau​
35​
Chris Edgar​
36​
Alan Irving​
37​

Congratulations to Andy for the win (again!), along with Luke, Paul and Ian picking up trophies.

It was good to see players represented in the finals from all regions.

The format for the finals was a new format, never seen before (to my knowledge) and I feel it worked well. Everyone played a single game on each of the machines in the qualifying section followed by all players playing against each other over 5 x 4 player games.
This meant that even though there were players on the same points after all the games had been played they could all be settled via countback. It made for a tense few moments while the final trophy positions were decided split between Ian, Will, Matt and myself.

All of the machines stood up well to the play in such a hot room, but I think that was preferable to trying to play at the end of a row of machines in the main hall?
So a huge thankyou to those people who stepped up and donated their machines.

I'll get the results submitted to the IFPA tonight so that you can see your hard earned WPPR's and I can update the UKCS standings.

Some of you may already know that this was my last year as overall coordinator and Paul Garner @Wizcat will be taking over. He has some excellent ideas to implement in th coming years andI hope you will all give him the support he deserves.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all of the regional coordinators; David, Ailsa, Ian, Dan, Peter and Dawn for finding the hosts, collating the scores and submitting them to Paul to update the website - it's a thankless task but needed to keep the league going. To Kate as vice coordinator, who has offered me advice and support and to Adrian acting as treasurer for such a long time. I won't be stepping away completely, I'll be taking over from Adrian as treasurer as he is also stepping down (it would be hard to continue from another country)

Most of all I'd like to thank those people who open up their houses to allow people to play their machines, and often put on refreshments that would put Come Dine with me to shame.

My hope is that the league continues to be a welcoming friendly competition to introduce people to competitive pinball for many years to come, but still allow the top players to compete against each other in top level finals.

Thank you

Great fun battling it out with top players from around the country - and really cool finals format. Glad I was able to qualify to take part.

Thanks for organising Wayne, and everyone who hosted, helped and took part - I enjoyed the whole format from start of the league meets to finish.

Last edited:
@Wayne J Thanks for all you've done running the league for the last 6 years. Realy appreciate all the hard work, much of which goes unseen and not always a smooth ride either.

Good luck and best wishes to Paul in his new role and excited to hear of the new ideas.

Can you post the scores file for the qualifying please as never got a chance to see it on the day.

Thanks
Greg

Back
Top Bottom