What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Twilight zone upper right magnet removal, re-profiling, re-installation

DRD

Registered
My tz had an issue as the upper right magnet core was standing proud of the playfield quite significantly. As a result the ball "bounced" when it hit the silver core and had left a deep groove (perhaps 2mm) in this core

To sort this, I removed the assembly. I had never done this before so I just applied some patience and common sense

Due to this groove formation, the core had mushroomed and I could not easily remove the coil. I first had to file the core as best I could with the magnet in place.

The core has a HUGE locknut on it, but luckily I had a huge spanner. I put the assembly in a vice to remove this nut. It was held by thread lock so took some effort. Once I removed the threaded core

I then

1. Filed the groove out, so it was flat again with a fine flat metal file
  2. Using coarse sandpaper over a flat wood block, I smoothed the core, and put a slight bevel on the upper edge that would protrude into the playfield
  3. Medium sandpaper on wood block
  4. Fine sandpaper on wood block
  5. Medium wet and dry on wood block

If I could have been bothered, using fine wet and dry would have got it to a perfect mirror finish. But looking at the surface if the other playfield magnet core I saw no need for this, as my re profiled core looked much better than the other one

I reinstalled, using thread lock

It now all works more smoothly with no "ball jump", so the ball makes it more reliably into the gumball machine now

As an aside, this core is surprisingly soft and the pinball is already leaving a highly polished line in it. Hopefully the snap shows the finish that an amateur could achieve with really basic techniques

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Back