What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trough opto boards in JD

Julian

Site Supporter
I have a Judge Dredd that has a hack on the opto board its got a bunch of wires going into just 2 on the connector, the opto appears to work but I do get a trough 2 switch error from time to time.

Hopefully these pictures show you what I mean;

20191208_144917.jpg
20191208_144912.jpg

If you keep the Optos and receivers clean, reflow any dry solder joints and replace any broken resistors there’s no reason why it shouldn’t work perfectly.
The only issue that will remain in trough 1 & 2 false error (doesn’t affect gameplay), and if you trigger the 6 ball multiball on the Supergame it clears this fault - it’s due to every other mode using no more than 4 balls so Opto 1 & 2 remain closed for a long time which triggers a false error report.

Also the original connector only has 2 cables going to it anyway??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hello, Julian,

The green opto board carries the infra-red l.e.d's, which are (or should be) continually 'lit' from the 12v and Ground wires which supply all the machines' opto light sources. It looks as if an attempt's been made to improve on the original idc connector. I've seen worse; a supposedly top-notch operating company traded in a Star Trek Next Gen with the resistors on that board removed in favour of some mounted on a piece of tagboard nearby. Maybe they were on to something, though - broken resistors were so common that Williams changed to remotely-fitted resistors not long afterwards.

As Andy says, Trough 1 & 2 are a frequent false error on games that don't often use all six balls at once. Indiana Jones PBA avoids it using the Well of Souls mode, and Star Trek keeps three out under the playfield in any case, but Popeye f'r instance only has two* cases where the trough goes empty (the final wizard mode and a special case involving the 4-ball Animal multiball.

Btw, the pictures show a fixing screw missing from the opto board

* that I could think of until I thought of Item multi-ball. As with Animal m/ball, starting this 4-ball mode with two 'regular' locks made sees the trough emptied to serve 4 balls in play

Last edited:
Btw, the pictures show a fixing screw missing from the opto board

Even though the hole & rubber grommet are clearly on the opto board that middle mounting hole isn’t used for some reason, there’s nowhere for it to screw into.

That's odd, I was sure three were used. The then-new trough was pictured on the flyer for Indy, it has three there. And the manual for Road Show shows three on each board. Maybe some trough metal forms got out with only two, possibly replacement ones.

That's odd, I was sure three were used. The then-new trough was pictured on the flyer for Indy, it has three there. And the manual for Road Show shows three on each board. Maybe some trough metal forms got out with only two, possibly replacement ones.

I’m talking out my **** mate, just checked my Judge Dredd & you’re right, coincidentally my middle screw is also missing.
ed209b9913ac06378473861128dfd604.jpg

Back
Top Bottom