What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For Sale Transformers (bally and Williams )

David retro

Site Supporter
Homepin Transformers

Wanting to gauge interest on replacement transformers
i may have available 10 bally and 8 Williams
price to be confirmed shortly but these will be on a pre order basis i believe around 30 days lead time as due to weight we will have to sea freight them over
(i am looking into a possible air freight price as well )

please send me a message on here to register your interest and soon as pricing is confirmed ill get a pre-order list done

AS-2877-1_181x300.jpg
5610-12835-00_300x209.jpg

Excuse the dumb question. But in what circumstances would this be needed if machine currently working. ? More efficiently? Safer?

Or your building a test bench and want a power supply that replicates what a machine needs.
Can I register my interest based on eventual price please.

Reactions: JT.
Excuse the dumb question. But in what circumstances would this be needed if machine currently working. ? More efficiently? Safer?
And to add to Alan's post, they are very hard to get. there was another post recently that said they are no longer made and only available reconditioned - and hence the used price of them was getting very high.

10 years ago original working transformers struggled to sell for £20 but old pins don't get scrapped now. I had no trouble last year selling wpc , data East and system 11 ones for over £100 each . The most desirable is the one used in wpc95 games

Is there a compatability list David?? I think thats the key thing...

Interested, however suspect the price will be much higher than a second hand original (though it is nice to get new tech to replace the 20/30/40 year old one)

10 years ago original working transformers struggled to sell for £20 but old pins don't get scrapped now. I had no trouble last year selling wpc , data East and system 11 ones for over £100 each . The most desirable is the one used in wpc95 games

I sold a WPC89 one for 250 quid a few years ago. There are all rare af now.

I can't see them coming in at less than £350 (Old Bally) i guess. Fortunately, I can only recall ever having the need to replace a transformer once in 25 years. Maybe I've been fortunate. The Bally rectifier boards are easily replaced and I've done dozens of those.

I’ve had 2 old Bally SS backbox mounted with failed windings and 2 customers missing their transformers for projects they bought. That’s in 26 years so they are pretty robust I’d guess. I’ve got spare transformers for Bally and Stern SS games if anyone has a need but based on their reliability most unlikely 😉

so to update this
going to have them air freighted for more peace of mind and for the minimal cost difference i see this as the better option to get them quicker

these are both going to be going for £295 with a lead time of around 15 days ish

the bally ones come with the plates ect all ready

the wpc dont come with a mounting plate from factory but pinball life have had some made up so ill be reaching out to get some of these to go with the wpc ones (possibly an additonal cost )

these will be £295 inc vat but plus uk delivery
we will only have
10 bally and 8 wpc ones

any questions please feel free to message me or email

I am definietly down for one WPC one and will take a second if the eight spaces are not filled, I don't want to be greedy.

Do the Wpc ones have different jumpers to span different eras or are system 11 and earlier not compatible

Do the Wpc ones have different jumpers to span different eras or are system 11 and earlier not compatible
Still waiting for conformation of which will support what games.👍

At the price I'll probably be out, however without knowing what is supported then anyone buying one of these is taking a risk it will/wont work if they are looking at a specific game suitability.

Fits ALL Bally/Williams machines with a DMD

The secondary voltage is adjustable with a plug (included) to change between 12V and 18V audio windings. (Details and pictures in instruction book)

SUITS:
12V + 12V

Attack From Mars, Bally
Cactus Canyon, Bally
The Champion Pub, Bally
Cirqus Voltaire, Bally
Congo, Williams
Corvette, Midway
Demolition Man, Williams
Dirty Harry, Williams
The Flintstones, Williams
Indiana Jones, Williams
Indy 500, Williams
Jackbot, Williams
Johnny Mnemonic, Williams
Judge Dredd, Williams
Junkyard, Williams
Medieval Madness, Williams
Monster Bash, Williams
NBA Fastbreak, Bally
No Fear: Dangerous Sports, Williams
No Good Gofers (Golfers), Williams
Pinball Circus (included for completeness), Midway
Popeye Saves the Earth, Bally
Revenge From Mars, Bally
Roadshow, Williams
Safe Cracker, Bally
Scared Stiff, Bally
Star Wars: Episode One, Williams
The Shadow, Midway
Star Trek, The Next Generation, Williams
Theatre Of Magic, Bally
Tales of the Arabian Nights, Williams
Who Dunnit, Williams
World Cup Soccer ‘94, Bally

SUITS:
18V + 18V

The Addams Family, Bally
The Addams Family Gold, Bally
Black Rose, Bally
Bram Stoker’s Dracula, Williams
The Machine: Bride of Pinbot, Williams
Creature From The Black Lagoon, Bally
Doctor Who, Bally
Funhouse, Williams
Fish Tales, Williams
The Getaway: High Speed 2, Williams
Gilligans Island, Bally
Harley Davidson, Bally
Hot Shots Basketball (arcade machine)
Hurricane, Williams
Party Zone, Bally
Terminator 2 (Judgement Day), Williams
Twilight Zone, Bally
Whitewater, Williams

Homepin Power Transformer Module rectifier board for Bally machines INCLUDES mounting plate. This unit is prewired and ready to install. Includes new crimps and connectors to repin.

Transformer is setup at 240V input. (can be adjusted by end user - read the manual)
Rectifier Board Features include:
Double thickness copper tracks (2oz copper)
large VIAs and very wide tracks to allow maximum current flow
3 x 35 amp bridges with large heatsink
Power on LED
Safety cover over mains fuse
All fuses fitted (values might not suit ALL machines)
Bally reference #AS-2877 & AS-2877-1.

Bally Compatibility List:
Black Jack
Dolly Parton
Eight Ball
Evel Knievel
Frontier
Freedom
Future Spa
Harlem Globetrotters
Hotdoggin
Kiss
Lost World
Mata Hari
Mystic
Night Rider
Nitro Ground Shaker
Paragon
Playboy
Power Play
Rolling Stones
Siverball Mania
Six Million Dollar Man
Skateball
Space Invaders
Star Trek
Strikes and Spares
Supersonic
Viking
Voltan Escapes
X's & O's

Homepin Power Transformer Module rectifier board for Bally machines INCLUDES mounting plate. This unit is prewired and ready to install. Includes new crimps and connectors to repin.

Transformer is setup at 240V input. (can be adjusted by end user - read the manual)
Rectifier Board Features include:
Double thickness copper tracks (2oz copper)
large VIAs and very wide tracks to allow maximum current flow
3 x 35 amp bridges with large heatsink
Power on LED
Safety cover over mains fuse
All fuses fitted (values might not suit ALL machines)
Bally reference #AS-2877 & AS-2877-1.

Bally Compatibility List:
Black Jack
Dolly Parton
Eight Ball
Evel Knievel
Frontier
Freedom
Future Spa
Harlem Globetrotters
Hotdoggin
Kiss
Lost World
Mata Hari
Mystic
Night Rider
Nitro Ground Shaker
Paragon
Playboy
Power Play
Rolling Stones
Siverball Mania
Six Million Dollar Man
Skateball
Space Invaders
Star Trek
Strikes and Spares
Supersonic
Viking
Voltan Escapes
X's & O's
1698096223707.png

I'll poke my nose in just to clarify a few things. I have been asked for many years and by many different people to investigate the possibility of re-making power transformers for older pinball machines as they were getting harder to find. Being in Taiwan, and already dealing with a very established and competent transformer winding factory, I figured I would ask the questions and see if we could put a package together. There are always many things to consider with any aftermarket part and these transformers are no exception. Reality told me that it was unlikely anyone else would step up to the plate and make these. It required a massive amount of time and money to bring these parts to market so I hope they help save some machines from the tip!

The Bally transformers are supplied bolted to a new stainless steel mounting plate and pre-wired to a new, heavy duty rectifier board. They are also factory wired to the destination country - in this case 240V.

The reason for the complete package is that modern transformer lamination's differ in size from ones made 50 years ago! The new transformer is very slightly larger in one directioon (a good thing!) BUT that meant it wouldn't bolt directly to the original Bally plate so we made a new one in stainless steel. The finished assembly bolts directly into any Bally machine with no modifications needed to the machine.

ALSO, and more importantly, the original Bally transformer would never pass any modern electrical laws as the original TX mixed some secondary windings with primary windings on the same side of the transformer - this is an immediate FAIL if you want to meet modern electrical standards. This meant we had to place the wiring lugs in physically different places for the transformers to comply. This then meant that an end user could become rather confused if they tried to wire the new TX as the terminal placement differs from all Bally documentation.

This transformer, and the WMS one described below, are fully compliant with Australian electrical design regulations and that means they also exceed UK/EU (CE) requirements. I will add that they are 100% constructed from materials made in Taiwan, Malaysia & Japan. There are NO Chinese parts at all in these transformers. (for those interested the breakdown is enameled copper wire from Malaysia, Iron lamination's from NEC Japan, nylon bobbin from DuPont, Taiwan and insulated hookup wire, connectors and other insulating materials also from Taiwan.) The packing box is also custom made here in Taiwan!

All connections and wiring pinouts are detailed in the booklet that comes with each TX in the box and downloadable here: (note - this PDF is paginated for the printers because it's A5 - please observe the page numbers, they are NOT in order in the PDF)

1698367778244.png

WMS transformers have been scarce for many years now. The main issue with these is that there are two types. The main difference between them is the secondary winding for the audio is center tapped 12-0-12V OR 18-0-18V and they are NOT swap-able between all machines or damage to the audio section will likely be the outcome.

We solved this problem by having additional windings added to our transformer and we wire a "voltage change socket" into the TX harness so the end user can select between 12 or 18V simply by plugging in the appropriate link plug (both are supplied with every TX). Again, this is all explained in the booklet which can be downloaded here:

1698367922437.png

The second problem was lamination sizes again (same issue as the Bally TX). Our replacement transformers are slightly larger than the original in one direction (again, a GOOD thing!). BUT this means the 4 x mounting holes don't all line up with the original cabinet mounting holes and two new holes need to be drilled in the base of the cabinet. I personally don't see this as a major problem but it was mentioned to me by one of our agents that end users wouldn't like having to drill new holes in their machines and so that agent decided to make adapter mounting plates for these transformers. Homepin does NOT make these adapter plates and likely will never make them. I drilled two extra holes in the base of my Getaway and, once the TX is bolted down, the two old (unused) holes are UNDER the TX and therefore NOT VISIBLE.

I hope the above answers a few questions but ask away if I haven't mentioned something.

Still waiting for conformation of which will support what games.👍

At the price I'll probably be out, however without knowing what is supported then anyone buying one of these is taking a risk it will/wont work if they are looking at a specific game suitability.
Hello Paul,

A full compatibility listing is included in the PDF's linked in my previous post. Basically ALL Bally SS machines that have the transformer assembly mounted in the headbox and ALL WMS machines that have a DMD but please have a look at the complete listings (by machine names in the WMS case) in the PDF's above.

I will add that is is very unlikely that we will make more of these so this might be the last opportunity to grab one for those who need them.

just wanting to bump this up as we are planning to have these in before end of the month
currently looking like 3 wpc and 1 bally are accounted for please reach out to pre-order yours are stocks are small and once these are gone its likely the last batch unless we get a very large request
pricing remains the same as previously mentioned @ £295 inc vat but plus delivery as these are a heavy item

any questions please drop me the message

Apologies for the delays on getting these links sorted
pre order now available
aiming to get these in for mid April
limited stock and probably last of unless we get alot of demand for more
was a slight price increase on the inward shipping
so prices on both are £319.99 plus £12 tracked 24 uk shipping (we can add in exisitng order items to this shipping when we send out at the time )

only 10 bally and 8 wms available

if ordering more than one please let me know so i can adjust the shipping for you on the order

Any questions please let me know

Ordered one already. I don't want to be greedy so will talk about a second one if they don't all sell out.
Having looked at alternative options, for a new product that has been reworked and modernised, this is a good price.

Back
Top Bottom