What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tilt's Super Series #1 - Register NOW :)

Tilt_Birmingham

Site Supporter
Alias
Kirk
Tilt_Birmingham added a new event:

Tilt's Super Series #1 - Register NOW :)

Super Series #1

Sunday 21st January

The event will be 12 rounds of 4-player matchplay scored at 7 5 3 1.

The top 6 qualify outright for the finals portion of the tournament.

7-10 will play a random 4-player game with the top 2 joining the other 6 to make a final 8.

From there it will be a Head to Head, best-of-3 series's playoff bracket for quarter-finals, semi-finals, and then a final 2.

Entry for the tournament will be 10 GBP

Events will be run by @Genotime or...

Read more about this event...

Registration is now open

Hoping for a great turn out so we can continue hosting them at Tilt :)

Is there a limit on number of entries? The read more links in the first post are broken (not the registration link, that's OK).

I'm registered & paid, but want to let a mate know if he needs to get his skates on if he's coming.

Last edited:
Is there a limit on number of entries? The read more links in the first post are broken (not the registration link, that's OK).

I'm registered & paid, but want to let a mate know if he needs to get his skates on if he's coming.

Limit is like 72 but i'll doubt we'll get anywhere near that with a January event

Unfortunately can’t make the January event @Tilt_Birmingham however I planning to attend at least 2 of the events you have lined up for this year. The birthday monster madness event was superb at the end of last year and can’t wait to have another outing!

Not long till the first event of 2024

Currently have 30-35 people coming along, if you free just come along on the day and sign up

Doors open at 10am and comp starting at 11am

Is there going to be a lunch/food break or is it a case of bringing butties and eating inbetween rounds? (And eating cake!😊)

Thanks everyone for coming today. Was some fun but competitive pinball throughout. Hope you all enjoyed yourselves.

Well done to Kirk @Tilt_Birmingham for the victory! Here are the final results. Will post a writeup later on.

1st Kirk Sadler
2nd Andy Foster
3rd Josh Iles
4th Kevin Donovan
5th Conrad Chambers
7th Kevin Smith
7th Greg Mott
7th Nick Hamill

And you can see the rest of us here

Hope everyone got home safe! Rough weather out there!

Another great turn out :) Thanks for everyone for coming out and hope everyone got home ok... as the weather turned pretty fast

Super happy with my wins over Josh in the semi's and Andy in the finals

Just sorting the website out but registration for Super Series #2 will be opening soon

Thanks to Kirk for hosting and Gene for TD'ing - you guys really put the effort in. Also thanks to everyone else for coming along to another very enjoyable tournament at Tilt.

Also congrats to Kirk for a great performance. Not at all easy to beat Andy Foster, who'd earlier given me a demonstration of how to play Bond, and Johnny Mnemonic in the quarter finals (although I did manage to take it to a best of 3 with a surprise win on Simpsons, which was nice, and made my day).

I'd also like to say a massive "Thank You" to Ian Clarricoats for rescuing Nick Hamill and myself. We had stayed to watch the end of the comp, only to find that all remaining trains back to London had been cancelled due to the weather. Gene said that we were welcome to stay over at his place (many thanks Gene), and as we were discussing the situation, Ian overheard us and said that he'd be happy to drive us back. There followed a very safe drive down the M1 through some pretty challenging weather, and Ian dropped me off right outside my place in North West London (and refused to even accept a contribution towards the fuel), then headed off through the driving rain to drop Nick off in Croydon, before heading home himself to Kent. I hope you both got home safe and sound, and thank you so much! 👍

Thanks @Genotime and @Tilt_Birmingham - such a fantastic and chilled tournament. My first time up to Brum since covid, and immediately twigged what i've been missing.
And echoing @C&C's thanks to Ian for safely getting me back to London. Looking forward to the next one already.

Photos from Sunday are now on my FlickR page here.

Apologies that I probably didn't get a photo of everybody, but there was a fair bit of pinball to be played as well as taking a few pics!

Looking forward to the next one!

@Tilt_Birmingham - feel free to put the link on your facebook page, or use any photos that you may wish to, and thanks again for hosting!

Last edited:
Many thanks to Kirk for hosting and Gene for running the comp. Great day at Tilt as ever and very well played Kirk, who seemed consistsent all day including 1B on GZ in my group.

Just like the previous comp, I had a slow start but was able to recover after lunch with 6 straight wins and looked set for a top 6 qualification until the last game on Metallica with an immediate drain from Sparky and then getting grave ready on last ball , only to miss the last crucial shot which again immediately drained. This left me with a tense playoff on BM66 which I was able to survive only to be hammered by Josh in the knockouts with a very solid two games where I didn't get going.

Overall a really fun and sociabale day,

TOURNAMENT REPORT

35 competitors from around the country lined up at TILT in Birmingham CIty Centre for another day of pinball action in the 1st of TILT’s series of 4 tournaments of 2024.

Always a pleasure, the quite rare site of UK No.1 Andy Foster @PUP was to be seen at this tournament. Despite a surprising 4th place on Monster Bash in his first game he quickly rightened the ship and comfortably qualified in 1st place – treating his fans and rivals to his usual display of seemingly effortless excellence along the way. ‘Pinball just runs though his veins’ - Rival and Friend UK No.2 Craig Pullen @roadshow16 (absent and running scared).

Other members from the North did not fare so well but firmly cemented their standing in the community as lovely, nice guys! Always great to see them.

Young Joshua Iles perhaps didn’t make it look so effortless, displaying his usual competitive passion along the way, but he’s really good at pinball and had no problem securing the 2nd seed spot in qualifying.

Kirk Sadler @Tilt_Birmingham also got off to a bit of a shaky start but by the intended lunch break he was to be seen on his way to a billion on Godzilla and telling everyone how to get to King of Monsters while doing so. I didn’t want to be the one to have to tap him out and he graciously ‘drained on purpose’ on his 3rd and let people go for lunch. Some confident and assured play in the 2nd half booked his place in the playoffs with a strong 3rd seed.

Meanwhile – other members of the ‘Tilt home court advantage crew’ were not able to make the cut. Whether you believe Gene and Wayne's claims that they actually ‘enjoyed it more because they could relax’ to not make the finals, is up for debate. Infamous Simon Peacock and The People’s Champ - Gareth Arnold also had forgettable runs. Instead, it was the unexpected efforts of the lesser known Kevin Smith, who never let up his ‘woe is me, life and pinball is cruel’ attitude even whilst nailing super jackpot after super jackpot on Monster Bash, who would join Kirk in the playoffs – qualifying in 6th place.

Kevin Donovan @kevlar once again showed his solid, often spectacular play – qualifying in 4th place and wowing onlookers with his trademark drop catches and excellent games on Avengers: Infinity Quest in particular.

Nick Hamill @Nickoss II – fresh off some excellent results at PBR was ready to take his show on the road. His great form continued and was near the top of the standings all day. The main challenge of his day I’m sure was seeing how long he could stop himself from submitting to the fantastic selection of booze on offer behind the bar – I think he made it to lunchtime. He qualified in 5th place.

The upstart EAPA (East Anglian Pinball Army), the COVID of pinball in 2023 - appearing and multiplying in pinball events around the country, were a little under-represented this time round. The champion from Tilt’s Monster Madness tournament in November, Nathan Garwood @NateG119 started off strong with his usual flowing shot making, faded a bit after lunch then in the final game in a tough game of AFM (Phoebe Lewell put in a huge 5bil by ball 2) agonisingly was ‘one shot away’ from qualifying – just needing a 3rd place to secure a spot. A semi-finalist at the last tournament, another member of the EAPA army, Jon Carolan @Jmac was also not able to quite conjure up the magic of last time. Reece Powell @OTRawrior, semi-retired since his inaugural victory at the last Pinhaus competition could also not get anything going. Perhaps the absence of the usual EAPA cheer squad had some effect!

Speaking of the Lewell’s, Effie put in a strong performance and could be seen near the top of the tables for much of the day, finishing just short of qualifying in 12th place. Dan Lewell @DanLewell was also present.

A suddenly rejuvenated Greg Mott @robotgreg, a Dan Prachar @OXice6 in the midst of a 4 game winning streak, Mr Conrad Chambers @C&C and another lesser known local hero Max Welch would play one match on Batman 66 with the top 2 advancing to join the aforementioned 6 in the playoffs section. It was a tense game with scores ranging from 20-60 million. Greg and Conrad would advance. I am particularly disappointed in Max after I had proclaimed several times beforehand that he is the ‘consistently best player of BM66 in the country’, but well done to him for getting there 😉.

The final 8 would play a knock out, best of 3, quarter finals, semi-finals and a final with the higher seed being able to choose the 1st and 3rd games (if necessary).

In the quarter-finals the seed came through in each case with only Conrad being able to push Andy to a decisive 3rd game with a victory on his apt choice of Simpson’s Pinball Party.

The semi-finals saw Josh vs Kirk and Andy vs Kev. Kirk was able to turn the tables on Josh with a 2-0 victory on a hard-fought Congo and Godzilla. Andy went through 2-0, a masterful display of poise catching up to Kev’s 200mil on Jurassic Park and then managing to get revenge on Simpson’s after Kev tried to employ a similar tactic to Conrad with his choice.

A one game match was played on Congo between Josh and Kev to determine 3rd/4th place with Josh coming out on top.

So, the finals would come down to Andy and Kirk. Andy’s choice was Metallica. Kirk quickly racked up an incredible 168mil and Andy was not able to catch up. Perhaps not wanting to move from his zone of terror Kirk selected the next door machine Batman 66. Andy put up 200mil by the end of his 3 balls with Kirk still stuck on about 20mil going into the last ball. Kirk stepped up and cheers could be heard as he grinded his way past 200 mil to secure the victory!

Well done to Kirk and thanks all again for coming. TILT’s Super Series will continue on 28th April. Hope as many of you can make it as possible!

Also feel free to join us anytime at league/pingolf/strikes events on Tuesdays.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom