What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"The sweet voice of Kate Morris"

johnwhitfield

Site Supporter
Alias
John Whitfield
Doh, I've been slow on the uptake here.

When I saw the release from Stern about a Kate Morris doing the call outs on GOT I thought it was a coincidence about the names and the Midlands lot were taking the **** in their posts,

However, people were telling me today that it is actually the Kate that we know doing the voice work.

**** me that's cool:thumbs: Congrats to her. If we get her ****ed then can we sample her for pinball browser for exclusive expletive laden samples or special midlands related phrases such as "ma duck"

Or am I just being gullible and people are leading me on?

I also thought it was a co-incidence but it's 100% true. What a cool thing to do:cool:

Nice one Kate.

Great to have someone we all know to be part of the development of a mainstream pinball manufacturer in the U.S.A.
I'm sure most of us on here would give our right arm to get the chance to be involved in the development of the latest Stern release.

Come on Kate, tell us how this came about. Did they look at the top ranked UK female players? There's got to be a good back story here. Were they looking for a Northern accent or just an English one? I'd love to think that they gave you a free machine in return for your work. Are your call outs related to the game or the plot? Do you get to do the famous "you now nothing...." quote?

Thanks for all the support guys! I'd love to tell you all about it in person but sadly i'm unlikely to make a pinball show until next year now what with impending wedding. I met Steve Ritchie 4 years ago when he came over to the South Coast Slam, even played against him on AC/DC. He was also at the Dutch Pinball Open last year and so I got chance to chat to him again, he remembered me from the SCS - afterall, there aren't that many women that play competitively - so again we had a nice chat and also swapped email addresses.

Well when I got an email about 2-3 months ago from him, you can probably imagine I nearly fell off my chair. He explained that they needed an English female voice for the Game of Thrones pinball machine and that he remembered me having a 'very nice English voice' and would I be interested in auditioning. I almost ran around the house in excitement but decided to sit there gobsmacked for a while instead. I read the email several times to make sure I wasn't mistaken. OMG seriously?! And at this point I had never watched Game of Thrones. So I thought i'd better get cracking.... Watched back to back episodes to try and get an idea of what it was all about, and once i'd got past the first few episodes of the first season, I was hooked by about episode 5.

So I did the audition, sent it off, and a couple of days later I got the job. Unbelievable! Steve really liked the idea of having a true 'pinball lady' as part of the game, and thought that having played many different machines in the past would help with understanding the script and the tone of certain phrases (for example, the enthusiasm in a 'super jackpot!' or how you might be berated for losing the ball or for tilting). So off I went to a recording studio and had Steve Ritchie and Dwight Sullivan (the game developer) talking to me through headphones, and guided me through the script line by line. (By this point i'd watched up to the end of season 4 - still hooked). Steve and Dwight were both fantastic, so supportive and not just patient with each line but really enthusiastic too, even 3 hours in. Anyone who has met Steve and talked to him about his machines will know how passionate he is about them - so much thought and effort goes into every element. And given that he's a massive fan of GoT, I've 100% confidence this machine is going to be epic. Anyway, I digress.

So since then i've been really excited and really nervous at the same time. It's going to be weird when I play it. "Get the extra ball!" "Thanks me, I will!!" :) I really hope I've done the game justice, and I hope you all really like it too. And if it's in a competition I promise not to shout phrases at the wrong time to confuse people ;-)

Kate

P.S. I'm now half way through season 5. Anyone who's just watched the first couple of episodes and given in, give it another try - the storyline is fantastic once you get into it.

I would give my left ball to be the voice of a pinball although I guess it would be weird hearing it in different circumstances. Worth it though. Kate, you are a lucky lass! God bless Steve Ritchie too.

Thanks for all the support guys! I'd love to tell you all about it in person but sadly i'm unlikely to make a pinball show until next year now what with impending wedding. I met Steve Ritchie 4 years ago when he came over to the South Coast Slam, even played against him on AC/DC. He was also at the Dutch Pinball Open last year and so I got chance to chat to him again, he remembered me from the SCS - afterall, there aren't that many women that play competitively - so again we had a nice chat and also swapped email addresses.

Well when I got an email about 2-3 months ago from him, you can probably imagine I nearly fell off my chair. He explained that they needed an English female voice for the Game of Thrones pinball machine and that he remembered me having a 'very nice English voice' and would I be interested in auditioning. I almost ran around the house in excitement but decided to sit there gobsmacked for a while instead. I read the email several times to make sure I wasn't mistaken. OMG seriously?! And at this point I had never watched Game of Thrones. So I thought i'd better get cracking.... Watched back to back episodes to try and get an idea of what it was all about, and once i'd got past the first few episodes of the first season, I was hooked by about episode 5.

So I did the audition, sent it off, and a couple of days later I got the job. Unbelievable! Steve really liked the idea of having a true 'pinball lady' as part of the game, and thought that having played many different machines in the past would help with understanding the script and the tone of certain phrases (for example, the enthusiasm in a 'super jackpot!' or how you might be berated for losing the ball or for tilting). So off I went to a recording studio and had Steve Ritchie and Dwight Sullivan (the game developer) talking to me through headphones, and guided me through the script line by line. (By this point i'd watched up to the end of season 4 - still hooked). Steve and Dwight were both fantastic, so supportive and not just patient with each line but really enthusiastic too, even 3 hours in. Anyone who has met Steve and talked to him about his machines will know how passionate he is about them - so much thought and effort goes into every element. And given that he's a massive fan of GoT, I've 100% confidence this machine is going to be epic. Anyway, I digress.

So since then i've been really excited and really nervous at the same time. It's going to be weird when I play it. "Get the extra ball!" "Thanks me, I will!!" :) I really hope I've done the game justice, and I hope you all really like it too. And if it's in a competition I promise not to shout phrases at the wrong time to confuse people ;-)

Kate

P.S. I'm now half way through season 5. Anyone who's just watched the first couple of episodes and given in, give it another try - the storyline is fantastic once you get into it.

That is really cool. Nice one Kate, what a great story.

I started watching GOT after other people going on about it (cue @RudeDogg1 at the SCS Chinese meal). Just the same affect.... watched back to back episodes when got hold of the DVD's until the early hours. Unlike some other successful dramas, it hasn't got boring after subsequent series', only better I thought. The last three spisodes of the last series were fantastic.

Would love this machine even if the gameplay was stale (not to be expected from SR) but think cost of a new machine has gone over the edge for me in comparison to other life things. Really looking forward to seeing and playing one though and hear Kate's bit of pinball fame.

That is really cool. Nice one Kate, what a great story.

I started watching GOT after other people going on about it (cue @RudeDogg1 at the SCS Chinese meal). Just the same affect.... watched back to back episodes when got hold of the DVD's until the early hours. Unlike some other successful dramas, it hasn't got boring after subsequent series', only better I thought. The last three spisodes of the last series were fantastic.

Would love this machine even if the gameplay was stale (not to be expected from SR) but think cost of a new machine has gone over the edge for me in comparison to other life things. Really looking forward to seeing and playing one though and hear Kate's bit of pinball fame.

Bows gracefully

What a fantastic year - wedding and being part of a pinball machine:)
Someone needs to take a GOT to your wedding - oh, the look of surprise on guest's faces:D

Back
Top Bottom