What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Pinball Assistant App

17k seems to be to pay a developer to make the app. I wonder where they'll be getting their data from though? IPDB? Pinside? There could be some problems if they're nicking other peoples content. $17K isn't a huge amount if they are creating all the content themselves. Still all a bit redundant if you use pinside/ipdb on your phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ric
New kickstarter for a pinball information app: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thepinballassistant/the-pinball-assistant

Pretty sure anyone can use either ipdb or Pinside to the same effect?
Not sure what they're going to spend the $17k on...
Hi Jsyjay, I'm Richard (the guy from The Pinball Assistant) thanks for starting this topic. It's a fair question you're asking. I will not say anything negative about Pinside, IPDB or any other site or person that tries to do something for our favorite game but our app will combine everything we think people need or want in a fast and practical way: basic knowledge, playing tips, fun facts, but also the ability to keep track of your high scores, personal reviews, personal play lists etc. So when you stand in front of a pinball machine, you will know why it's special and what to do in the blink of an eye ;-)

Hi BigIan, I'm Richard (the guy from The Pinball Assistant)... a GoT and a Full Throttle... that's a nice idea but unfortunately it's all for the technical development which we can't do ourselves.

Hi KidQuaalude, I'm Richard (the guy from The Pinball Assistant) thanks for your question. You're right the money is meant for the developer. That's the only thing we can't do ourselves. Our data is not from IPDB or Pinside. Most of our content is used with permission from a book from Henk de Jager that was never published. We do however verify and crosscheck our data so our app will be fresh and very reliable. I think however that most information (also used on IPDB or Pinside) is free of rights.

Reactions: JT.
Money up front for a free app, I'm out.

Money up front for a free app, I'm out.
Hi Arv, I'm Richard (from The Pinball Assistant). I'm sorry you think that way but that's ok of course. As I just explained in this topic, we need the money for the technical development. Reason why we started a Kickstarter is that we're asking the community to help us so it can be free for everybody. Besides that, we are also working on some initiatives to let (for example) kids play so the next generation will get in contact with pinball so they will enjoy the game just as much as we do. I don't know if you've read our story on Kickstarter but please do and I hope you will realise we're not just looking for free money.

Sounds cool, I like the idea of tips and the secret mode hints, and that makes it different to the other stuff I've seen. 10 euro from me on its way, hope you reach your total. Have you posted some info on pinside too @Ric ?

Sounds cool, I like the idea of tips and the secret mode hints, and that makes it different to the other stuff I've seen. 10 euro from me on its way, hope you reach your total. Have you posted some info on pinside too @Ric ?
Hi JT, Thanks! And yes, there is a post on Pinside where we are asking the community if there are things they would like to have in our app that we haven't thought of. Some nice reactions there. But in general I'm not really sure if a forum is the right place to promote a Kickstarter. I was happy Jsyjay started this topic ;-) And by the way, new ideas or input is always welcome. We're creating this app because we just want to do that, but what we would really like is that every pinball player finds it useful and has fun with it.

Is the app an offline app? Ie, will it need a huge amount of storage on the mobile for all the pictures and data... and then go out of date quickly as new pins are released.

Or will it be online, meaning its useless without a network connection? Also means it requires constant server back-end/maintenance/ongoing costs.

Neither of those seem like good or feasible options, especially for a 'free' app.

Also, there are already efforts underway to unite the various (online) applications together. So for example pintips.net (which does the tips thing your app is suggesting) already links through to eg pinballvideos.com, which also both link up to pinballmap.com, and ipdb.com.

SO maybe your app is just a front screen that ties these resources together? I've been very tempted to do an app for that myself. But... lazy. :p

Is the app an offline app? Ie, will it need a huge amount of storage on the mobile for all the pictures and data... and then go out of date quickly as new pins are released.

Or will it be online, meaning its useless without a network connection? Also means it requires constant server back-end/maintenance/ongoing costs.

Neither of those seem like good or feasible options, especially for a 'free' app.

Also, there are already efforts underway to unite the various (online) applications together. So for example pintips.net (which does the tips thing your app is suggesting) already links through to eg pinballvideos.com, which also both link up to pinballmap.com, and ipdb.com.

SO maybe your app is just a front screen that ties these resources together? I've been very tempted to do an app for that myself. But... lazy. :p
Hi Paul, good questions! The app will be online exactly because of the reason you mention. So yes, you do need a network connection. And no, we don't link things together. We want to keep everything in control. We do appreciate it a lot if people feed us with things we don't know but no one can add information or pictures themselves. Except for the personal part where you can leave your reviews and hi-scores of course. About places to play pinball: we've been thinking about that but it's our experience that that kind of information is out of date to soon, especially when available pinball machines are mentioned. Maybe we will add bigger places (like musea or commercial game halls) to play but we're not sure yet. And lazy... I'm not sure... it's a bigger job than I imagined when we started this project. But it's fun!

Back
Top Bottom